PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Moment (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Whoah battery.....holy smokes (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=120165)

00_MACKIE_00 05-04-2010 04:12 PM

Whoah battery.....holy smokes

Ok Moment users, this battery thing is really becoming an issue. This phone has the worst battery management I have ever seen of any phone that costs more than 5 dollars. Can anyone give me some suggestions? I have two , one rooted one not and they both stink. I took it off the charger here at work at 11am, its seriously been sitting on a filing cabinet since, already drained to 70% left. I turned off my gmail contacts, calendar and email auto syncing today thinking that may help but it's no different. I use a task killer as well (advanced task killer-free from the market). Should I turn off "background data" too? Bluetooth is off, Wifi is off, "Auto-sync" is marked, should I disable that too? "Auto-brightness" is marked, uncheck that? Animation is checked, I did uncheck that. I do not have any widgets or anything on my home screen. Not really thinking any of this matters if the screen is off but who knows?

Any help or reading links or something would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

If you think I should just go out and buy a car charger then I will if this is the nature of the beast. Maybe even get a backup battery.

chibucks 05-04-2010 04:34 PM

Re: Whoah battery.....holy smokes

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 (Post 1734750)
Any help or reading links or something would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

only thing i have different than you is that i have auto-brightness unchecked.

do you get good signal where you're at? and what's "bad battery life" in terms of total time? i know that some of the kernels and the original samsung have inaccurate readings.

also, i've heard that auto memory manager has helped some people... but i haven't noticed too much difference.

you don't happen to have moxier mail doing anything, do you?

use spare parts to see what's running and causing your phone to be on a lot.

htcman724 05-04-2010 04:50 PM

are you running 1.5 or 2.1 and if on 1.5 then cl14 or cj05?

kpederson9999 05-04-2010 05:16 PM

If you want to have A LOT better battery life, Turn off Wireless Networks under Location and Security settings!

00_MACKIE_00 05-04-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chibucks (Post 1734782)
only thing i have different than you is that i have auto-brightness unchecked.

do you get good signal where you're at? and what's "bad battery life" in terms of total time? i know that some of the kernels and the original samsung have inaccurate readings.

also, i've heard that auto memory manager has helped some people... but i haven't noticed too much difference.

you don't happen to have moxier mail doing anything, do you?

use spare parts to see what's running and causing your phone to be on a lot.

I dont even use Moxier mail since I use Gmail but its always opening up and I just kill it when I see it running again.

Total time I would say is like 12 hours maybe..maybe more like 10 of minimal use, I dont use my phone alot during the week because of work.

Right now Battery level at 70%. Made a few texts on the drive home and thats it. I did also turn off the auto brightness and turned the brightness down all the way.

I always have atleast 2-3 bars of 3G signal so signal has never been an issue. Obviously outside I get full scale but inside buildings it goes down. Pretty typical for Florida and metal buildings.

00_MACKIE_00 05-04-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpederson9999 (Post 1734852)
If you want to have A LOT better battery life, Turn off Wireless Networks under Location and Security settings!

Ok I did this also.

Thanks for the info guys.

00_MACKIE_00 05-04-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htcman724 (Post 1734806)
are you running 1.5 or 2.1 and if on 1.5 then cl14 or cj05?

Stock Cl14, non rooted

mrm0er 05-05-2010 03:15 AM

try using SetCPU from the market... my phone lasts me about 2 days

rainfreak 05-05-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm0er (Post 1735695)
try using SetCPU from the market... my phone lasts me about 2 days

SetCPU requires the phone to be rooted.

OP, the battery issues that you are seeing is because you are still running stock and unrooted. I had similar issues and battery life prior to rooting my Moment. After rooting, and removing several apps that constantly run in the background that I didn't use, I ended up with a solid 24-30 hours of battery life.

Trust me, it's different than unlocking in WinMo, but it is not that difficult. Plus you can go back to stock if you need to for service or an insurance claim. So I would recommend rooting and at least installing one of the custom kernels. Then remove some of the apps that are running in the background and you will easily be getting TWICE the battery life than you are now.

curving_edge 05-05-2010 05:18 PM

What is the benefit for unlocking your phone? If 2.1 is coming, is it even worth it? ](*,)