PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

stevenjkraft is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to stevenjkraft Send a message via Yahoo to stevenjkraft
Apps starting on their own?

I have been using my moment for about a week or so now and I feel like I am not getting very good battery life. I have been using advanced task killer to stop apps when I am not using them. I notice after about an hour if I go in to it that there are many programs running that I did not start. For example, voice control, sprint navigation, NFL, and a few others. The available memory at the top is usually around 25-30 when all this stuff is running. Even after I kill all open applications my memory is around 58 available. Is there a way to make these programs stop starting up? How much available memory should I have when nothing is running? Any advice here would be great.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Lurker

killersmurf is just getting started
Re: Apps starting on their own?

just for comparison, when i close everything with a task manager im sitting right at 83mb free

im running 2.1 also so that may make a little difference
Old 04-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjkraft View Post
I have been using my moment for about a week or so now and I feel like I am not getting very good battery life. I have been using advanced task killer to stop apps when I am not using them. I notice after about an hour if I go in to it that there are many programs running that I did not start. For example, voice control, sprint navigation, NFL, and a few others. The available memory at the top is usually around 25-30 when all this stuff is running. Even after I kill all open applications my memory is around 58 available. Is there a way to make these programs stop starting up? How much available memory should I have when nothing is running? Any advice here would be great.
If you follow the directions to root in the sticky thread in this forum, you can then remove those troublesome apps and have more free memory.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

stevenjkraft is a n00b

I have been thinking about rooting the phone. It makes me a little nervous cuz Ive never done that before to a phone and dont want to brick it and be screwed.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

The guides here are pretty straight forward and accurate. If you follow all the instructions correctly you should have no issues at all, and if you run into any problems this is a good place to ask for help.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

stevenjkraft is a n00b

I actually did the root. The most current kernal I found was ZE12.1. It looks to have completed and I am trying to remove apps using ConnectBot but the command does not seem to be working to get it in to write mode.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo

outerpip is a n00b

Are you setting it to local, pressing enter, then typing "su" and hitting enter again?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjkraft View Post
I actually did the root. The most current kernal I found was ZE12.1. It looks to have completed and I am trying to remove apps using ConnectBot but the command does not seem to be working to get it in to write mode.
Also, I think Zeife is up to 14.4.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment