PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Moment (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Apps starting on their own? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=118417)

stevenjkraft 04-18-2010 02:52 PM

Apps starting on their own?

I have been using my moment for about a week or so now and I feel like I am not getting very good battery life. I have been using advanced task killer to stop apps when I am not using them. I notice after about an hour if I go in to it that there are many programs running that I did not start. For example, voice control, sprint navigation, NFL, and a few others. The available memory at the top is usually around 25-30 when all this stuff is running. Even after I kill all open applications my memory is around 58 available. Is there a way to make these programs stop starting up? How much available memory should I have when nothing is running? Any advice here would be great.

killersmurf 04-18-2010 06:08 PM

Re: Apps starting on their own?

just for comparison, when i close everything with a task manager im sitting right at 83mb free

im running 2.1 also so that may make a little difference

rainfreak 04-18-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjkraft (Post 1705640)
I have been using my moment for about a week or so now and I feel like I am not getting very good battery life. I have been using advanced task killer to stop apps when I am not using them. I notice after about an hour if I go in to it that there are many programs running that I did not start. For example, voice control, sprint navigation, NFL, and a few others. The available memory at the top is usually around 25-30 when all this stuff is running. Even after I kill all open applications my memory is around 58 available. Is there a way to make these programs stop starting up? How much available memory should I have when nothing is running? Any advice here would be great.

If you follow the directions to root in the sticky thread in this forum, you can then remove those troublesome apps and have more free memory.

stevenjkraft 04-18-2010 07:24 PM

I have been thinking about rooting the phone. It makes me a little nervous cuz Ive never done that before to a phone and dont want to brick it and be screwed.

Carla 04-18-2010 08:41 PM

The guides here are pretty straight forward and accurate. If you follow all the instructions correctly you should have no issues at all, and if you run into any problems this is a good place to ask for help.

stevenjkraft 04-18-2010 08:48 PM

I actually did the root. The most current kernal I found was ZE12.1. It looks to have completed and I am trying to remove apps using ConnectBot but the command does not seem to be working to get it in to write mode.

outerpip 04-19-2010 01:19 PM

Are you setting it to local, pressing enter, then typing "su" and hitting enter again?

rainfreak 04-20-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjkraft (Post 1706027)
I actually did the root. The most current kernal I found was ZE12.1. It looks to have completed and I am trying to remove apps using ConnectBot but the command does not seem to be working to get it in to write mode.

Also, I think Zeife is up to 14.4.