PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

skyj635 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to skyj635
Moment Problems

After using my moment for about a month, I've run into a few problems that I would like to see if anyone has found fixes/work arounds for either on a rooted or unrooted phone.

List of problems
Airplane mode: Phone goes into airplane mode(airplane mode option not active in settings) and will not turn the cell radio on until the power is power cycled.

No Incoming call rings: Phone does not ring when receiving some calls. Power cycle fixes it. I've only caught this in the act once but because of the nature of the problem there is no telling how many times it has happened.

USB driver stops: Phone charges but notification to mount the USB drive does not appear. Toggling "USB debugging" in the settings also does not work when this happens. Power cycle fixes.

Proximity sensor: The proximity sensor does not turn the screen back on when I remove the phone from my face during a call. This happens every once in a while where I'll be talking and need to check something else on the phone like a contact and the screen will just remain disabled even though the phone is away from my face. It will not re-enable until the call ends.

3G connection: The data connection just stops working even in an area where there is coverage.

Even though some of these are annoying, I still love the phone and will keep it in hopes of updates to fix these problems. I am willing to root the phone if there are ways to fix these issues before the next update drops, I am just trying to see if it is worth the time. Also if you use a custom rom that works pretty good, please comment. I here Zefie's is good, is that the only one out right now?

Last edited by skyj635; 03-08-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

AcE XBOX is a n00b
Re: Moment Problems

I keep having the 3g issue. I thought it was the custom rom.. hmm.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Evo/Epic

insomniac is becoming a PPCGeeks regularinsomniac is becoming a PPCGeeks regularinsomniac is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

The 3g issue is known and is an issue untill we have 2.1 version on our phones. Sprint said 1H2010, hopefully it comes this month. As for all the other issues, I have experienced none of those when the phone was not rooted, nor now that the phone is rooted. Though a charging problem would occur before I installed advances task killer to kill off services and open tasks since android task management sucks horribly. If you don't have a task manager already installed, install one from the market, and actually since rootin the phone, 3g issue went from a major one for me to an occasional minor one.Rooting is simple and fast, downloading whats needed may be the longest part of the process, thats how easy it is. Rainfreak and elephant have stickied threads on rooting instructions that are quite simple and easy to follow.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:40 AM
domo arigato mr roboto
Carrier: Sprint since Feb 11, 2002

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj635 View Post
After using my moment for about a month, I've run into a few problems that I would like to see if anyone has found fixes/work arounds for either on a rooted or unrooted phone.

List of problems
Quote:
Airplane mode: Phone goes into airplane mode(airplane mode option not active in settings) and will not turn the cell radio on until the power is power cycled.
I had this problem and it ended up being an application I installed, can't remember which one though, I just removed the app and it resolved the problem. If I were you I would start investigating apps that would cause this problem.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
No Incoming call rings: Phone does not ring when receiving some calls. Power cycle fixes it. I've only caught this in the act once but because of the nature of the problem there is no telling how many times it has happened.
I've never run into this problem, again it could be an app you've installed

Quote:
USB driver stops: Phone charges but notification to mount the USB drive does not appear. Toggling "USB debugging" in the settings also does not work when this happens. Power cycle fixes.
Rooting my phone took care of this issue. I had to reboot my phone anytime it wouldn't allow me to mount the SD Card. Another thing I found out too is that you must UNMOUNT the SD Card versus just unplugging the USB from the computer/phone.

Quote:
Proximity sensor: The proximity sensor does not turn the screen back on when I remove the phone from my face during a call. This happens every once in a while where I'll be talking and need to check something else on the phone like a contact and the screen will just remain disabled even though the phone is away from my face. It will not re-enable until the call ends.
I've not had this problem, are you running CL14?

Quote:
3G connection: The data connection just stops working even in an area where there is coverage.
I've not noticed this, I'll keep my eye out though!!

Quote:
Even though some of these are annoying, I still love the phone and will keep it in hopes of updates to fix these problems. I am willing to root the phone if there are ways to fix these issues before the next update drops, I am just trying to see if it is worth the time. Also if you use a custom rom that works pretty good, please comment. I here Zefie's is good, is that the only one out right now?
No custom roms YET, Zefie's kernel is good, it's what I'm running, there are two HOW TO ROOT for the Moment, RAINFREAK has one for phones that do not have CL14... I have one for phones WITH CL14...
Old 03-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

skyj635 is just getting started
Send a message via Yahoo to skyj635

Thanks for the responses everyone. I rooted my phone and I am running Zefie's 14.3 kernel. I was running CL14 and I used your tutorial Elephant. Excellent job man. I think this new kernel will fix a lot of my problems, I already see an insane difference in battery life after the root kernel and SetCPU. Question about the Sprint 2.1 update. Now that I've rooted my phone, will I be able to apply that or would I need to flash back to the original Sprint CL14 then upgrade?
Old 03-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: ANDROID 2.2 Froyo Deodex

sprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Skype™ to sprintgirl

glad to see that everyone was so eager to help you and have resolved your issues. Usually when upgrading an operating system you are instructed to remove all patches...probably including the CL14 but doubt if we will know for sure until the update is officially released.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Quote:
Thanks for the responses everyone. I rooted my phone and I am running Zefie's 14.3 kernel. I was running CL14 and I used your tutorial Elephant. Excellent job man. I think this new kernel will fix a lot of my problems, I already see an insane difference in battery life after the root kernel and SetCPU. Question about the Sprint 2.1 update. Now that I've rooted my phone, will I be able to apply that or would I need to flash back to the original Sprint CL14 then upgrade?
No one really knows but after hundreds of flashes of WinMo phones in the past few years, my guess is that you will not need to go back as the 2.1 update will be a fresh install, wiping anything you already have on your phone.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Lurker

squarerod is a n00b

Quote:

List of problems

I am getting the same ringing issue. The phone has the C14 update and it is not rooted. To fix the issue I have to "update profile. However when I turn off "Phone vibrate while ringing" it goes back to the same problem. This does not happen on all calls however. It is an intermittent problem.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro

Crazyheaven is a n00b

The world would love to know what app you removed that stopped the airplane mode. I'm assuming it's just a app that used a lot of data.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to WisdomWolfX

I know the proximity sensor has been a bit weird for everyone, partially due to the stupid 2 sec delay. I'm happy to report that is one of the issues that is fixed in the current 2.1 builds. Also, the new 2.1 has lessened the data lockup issues, but hasn't completely solved them, hopefully this will be resolved before the final is released.

As far as kernel goes, I started with Zefie 14.3, but ended up switched to Speedrabit 1.7 while I was still running 1.5. It was a bit faster imo and unlike Zefie's, it's still supported. It still has support for wifi tether as well.

Jumped ship for Android now that WM is officially useless.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment