PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 12:03 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

HampTheToker is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Deleting stock messaging app???

So, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to delete the stock text messaging app in favor of, say, Handcent or ChompSMS.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

SPIK3 is keeping up the good workSPIK3 is keeping up the good work
Re: Deleting stock messaging app???

Is not really necessary to delete the stock app if you want to use a different one, all you have to do is turn off the notification settings for the stock one and use your prefer app instead.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo

outerpip is a n00b

I have used both Handcent and Chomp, and I have to say they are both much better than the stock app. The main reason I use something other than the stock app is because Samsung was smart enough to not put a notification LED on the phone, therefore, unless I hear or feel the phone, I can't tell I received a message just by looking at it. Handcent and Chomp both provide a popup that will turn the screen on. Plus, you get options to personalize your phone a bit more. As for downsides I've noticed, they are a bit slower than the stock app, and you have to look at adds hidden around the screen sometimes, but it's not enough to keep me sticking to the stock app. And as Spik3 said, go into message settings, and turn off the Auto-retrieve and the Notifications checkmarks. No need to worry about uninstalling anything, especially if you don't like it and decide to go stock again.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:24 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

HampTheToker is a n00b

I've already done all that, I was just interested in removing it so that I could remove as much none necessary crap as possible.

I'd like to remove the stock messaging app and browser. I was thinking there was one other thing, but I'm tired and not thinking straight. Mainly, I just wanted to know if it's safe to remove those and replace them with something better.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:34 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

Calkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation level

You'll get a lot of errors if you remove the browser and if you remove the stock messaging app, it breaks MMS

Old 04-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkulin View Post
You'll get a lot of errors if you remove the browser and if you remove the stock messaging app, it breaks MMS
Not to derail this thread but..do you have any recommendation to removing Vsuite? Every time I remove it, I keep getting the error:

"The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" over and over again.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:34 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

Calkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation level

reboot the phone and they will stop
Old 05-01-2010, 01:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: rooted M900 Moment
Carrier: sprint

loserpunk701 is just getting started

I removed my Mms.apk a long time ago. I have been using Handcent SMS. it has worked fine for the longest time. but in the past week, I haven't been able to send or receive picture mail... I'm gonna reload Mms.apk and see if fixes the problem
Old 05-03-2010, 11:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: rooted M900 Moment
Carrier: sprint

loserpunk701 is just getting started

well I don't know what the exact problem is, but I just updated to 2.1 and my picture mail works fine...

delete it. there is always a solution if it doesn't work for you.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment