PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 02:10 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Moment
Carrier: sprint

tvirus1134 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to tvirus1134
Angry micro SD FAIL

I'm sure anyone got the Moment it came with a two gigabyte mirco Sd card. Well with the first hour or so with my phone my card was full. So I went to the store and bought a sixteen gigabyte SD card. (I was going to get a thirty-two gigabyte but it was way to expensive!) I got home and cut all the folders off my 2gb and put them on the 16gb. Well my phone is full again! Strange part is my SD info says:"Total space 7.39GB Available space 6.54GB."

Any ideas? I'm thinking about formatting the card in the phone. I don't want to lose all my data. Is there a good full (free) backup apps?

Thank you,
T-Virus
Old 04-10-2010, 02:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

chibucks is keeping up the good workchibucks is keeping up the good work
Re: micro SD FAIL

Your phone is full not the sd card I think. How much memory do you have on your phone internal storage? Menu- settings- sdcard
Old 04-10-2010, 03:30 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

tvirus1134 is a n00b

Well the phone info (under SD card & phone storage) is telling me my 16gb card is 7gb not 16. and for internal memory is not full because I'm moving/saving everything I can to my card. I know the card is fine. I know the max SD card the moment can recognize/use is 16gb. (That's what the specs page said on Samsung Moment site.) I guess I'll email Samsungs customer service and post the results here.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:39 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2 CDMA
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

codybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIP

Did you format the card after you bought it?
(You might have formatted it incorrectly, or something could have happened when it formatted it).

You could have gotten a faulty one.

fyi, If you bought if from your phone carrier's store, you got ripped for the SD Card, you should have shopped elsewhere.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:48 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: touch pro, tp2, epic, evo x2
Carrier: D/\SH_SPEED

D/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

yup it sounds as if you may have partitioned the card... i would reformat the card to FAT32 and start from there and see what that does for you
Old 04-10-2010, 04:49 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

tvirus1134 is a n00b
Angry Re: micro SD FAIL

GOOD NEWS! The card and phone are fine!!!

Bad news . . .

I did buy a 16gb card it was on sale the box said 16GB. .. .

Well the card says 8GB.
My fault for not looking AT the card.
Honestly if its on the 16gb rack and is in a 16gb box that has not been opened would contain a 16gb card. Also I no longer have the box so the store will not take it back. So my advice. Look very closely at the item and ask them if they will open it and allow you to test it. Let them plug it in something there or let you use/test yourself.

More good news! My gf is getting a free 8gb card!!!! WOOT!
Old 04-10-2010, 04:55 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

tvirus1134 is a n00b
Red face Re: micro SD FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear View Post
Did you format the card after you bought it?
(You might have formatted it incorrectly, or something could have happened when it formatted it).

You could have gotten a faulty one.

fyi, If you bought if from your phone carrier's store, you got ripped for the SD Card, you should have shopped elsewhere.

Well the store I bought it from was a very well known and popular store that sells high quality items. I have been going to this store/chain for my whole life. I think it was the company and my fault. It's not the stores job to make sure you are getting what you want. The person helping me said "Here are our 16gbs." I told them that's what I wanted. It's only the stores problem when people come back and complain. So I don't blame anyone but the company who made/packed the card and me for not looking. Honest mistake on my part.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:00 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

tvirus1134 is a n00b
Smile Re: micro SD FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post
yup it sounds as if you may have partitioned the card... i would reformat the card to FAT32 and start from there and see what that does for you

I dont understand how I could partitioned the card when I right clicked and said format and also formatted it on the phone. I have made hundreds of partitions on hard drives when I was a tech. But thanks anyway=D>
Old 04-10-2010, 01:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo
Carrier: Sprint

outerpip is a n00b

Ok, so you bought and paid for a 16GB card, opened it, and got an 8GB? I can tell you that you should try to get your correct purchase. How much did you pay for the card? And what retailer did you get it from. Depending on the retailer, for almost all, you just need to explain what happened, provide the card and your receipt and they need to take the hit for that. If you have any shreds of the packaging left at all, something with barcode or anything that shows it was a 16gb card, take it in too. Also, I've gone through thousands of SD cards in my retail experience, and I have never seen a card mispackaged like that. Especially one of such high capacity and retail value. If it was packaged wrong, it was because the store repackaged it wrong. But, all else, you definitely need to go have a talk with the manager. If he won't do anything, which I'd doubt, go for the district manager if it's important enough to you. They can authorize just about anything.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvirus1134 View Post
I dont understand how I could partitioned the card when I right clicked and said format and also formatted it on the phone. I have made hundreds of partitions on hard drives when I was a tech. But thanks anyway=D>
I think he was just asking if you could have done that since you were saying you bought a 16gb card and it only showed a certain amount of storage available (that wasn't 16gb). When you partition the SD Card to save apps etc to the card it will only show as having the available memory you allow it to use. That is why I think he asked.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment