PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Moment (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   I have 2.1 on my Moment! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=117384)

LouZiffer 04-28-2010 09:02 AM

Re: I have 2.1 on my Moment!

Quote:

Originally Posted by outerpip (Post 1722270)
Root comes from it being the beginning directory of an operating system, which is a program that runs. To root a phone means to change the program and how is appropriates itself, also know less lazily as reprogramming. We just say root or rooted because no one wants to do any more work and type any more than is necessary, hence why I almost didn't respond to this post.

Root refers to the Unix term "root", which is an access level and/or user which allows unrestricted access to the operating system and files. You can "reprogram" your phone without having to gain this level of access at the OS level.

stparker38 04-28-2010 10:52 PM

Very familiar with terms "root" and "unlock"... but if you look up the definition to reprogram it is when you change the original program of something.... so reprogramming fits. I'm very educated and I choose to use my own vocabulary... you all sometimes sound like Droids using the same "lingo"... Thanks for the clarity, but I didn't need it... you knew what I meant. LOL

LouZiffer 04-29-2010 08:27 AM

Sorry, stparker38. I figured you weren't a native English speaker, so I was trying to help you out. I'll show you what I was addressing:

Root comes from it being the beginning directory of an operating system.

This is wrong. See the definition above.

To root a phone means to change the program and how is appropriates itself, also know less lazily as reprogramming.

This is wrong. Root is a more specific term referring to gaining root access on the phone. Reprogramming is less specific, and could mean anything. It's not lazy to be more specific in your meaning.

Hope this helps!

boiker 04-29-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stparker38 (Post 1725273)
I'm very educated and I choose to use my own vocabulary...

Congratulations, pencils vibrate strenuously android makes. Interesting variables?

I use my own vocabulary too. If you can't figure it out, it's because I'm very, very educated.

All kidding aside, using standardized lingo does help all participate and easily understand the conversation. I've considered "root" to be akin to having "root access" as an administrator level access in a linux or windows environment. "reprogram" to me means to program the device with a different set of instructions to perform a different action or the same actions in a different way. It has little do with access rights, such as is core to the term "root." By gaining root to our devices, or rooting it, we have admin level access. There, we can reprogram. Rooting is step one and allows you do much more to the device than just reprogram it.

Code 04-29-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outerpip (Post 1722270)
Root comes from it being the beginning directory of an operating system, which is a program that runs. To root a phone means to change the program and how is appropriates itself, also know less lazily as reprogramming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stparker38 (Post 1725273)
Very familiar with terms "root" and "unlock"... but if you look up the definition to reprogram it is when you change the original program of something.... so reprogramming fits. ..you all sometimes sound like Droids using the same "lingo"...

Root is the name of the superuser or administrator account in Linux and Unix. "Rooting" an Android phone, which runs on Linux, means to gain access to the superuser account. It's a slang term that is very specific in it's meaning. The etymology and definition are pretty black and white and not really up for debate.

Reprogramming is a very vague term and can mean many, many things.

Please see the following Wikipedia article for further information on the Root account in Unix/Linux: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_user