PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 01:04 PM
domo arigato mr roboto
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint since Feb 11, 2002

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[HOW TO] Remove System Apps: The Easier Way

Tried of trying to figure out how to remove those darn pesky apps?
Tired of trying to remember all the commands to mount remout ro/rw?
Tired of having to delete them one at a time?

Well do I have the solution for you

HOW TO Remove System Apps: The Easier Way (hopefully)
Purpose:
While many people have removed system apps such as SprintTV without issue, some have not been so successful. I'm writing this how to in hopes of helping the people who haven't been successful and maybe even getting the ones who have been too! I believe this is an easier process than manually typing code, especially if you don't remember what commands and arguments to type. While doing the process you can add/remove audio ringtones/notifications/ui too!!
Info:
I thought about how I could I make this process easier for myself, so this is what I came up with this little adventure, tried it a couple of times and decided to make a how to tutorial guide
Need:
Rooted Samsung Moment phone with Recovery v2.0
7ZIP (http://www.7zip.org)
Steps:
1. ROOT your phone (add Recovery v2.0 if necessary)
2. Customize your phone by configuring it and adding apps
3. Unplug USB from phone boot into recovery mode(Vol Down + Talk + End/Power) perform SYSTEM backup
4. Reboot your phone backup is complete
5. Connect your phone to computer via USB mount SDCARD
6. Browse SDCARD, copy SYSTEM_BACKUP_NUMBERS to your computer
7. Untar SYSTEM_BACKUP using 7zips EXTRACT HERE option
8. Browse the SYSTEM folder just created system\app\ delete all unneeded apps (you can add apps you've downloaded too!)
9. Add/Remove audio by browsing system\media\audio\
10. Retar SYSTEM folder by right clicking it 7ZIP>ADD TO ARCHIVE change ARCIVE FORMAT to TAR
11. Rename SYSTEM.TAR you created to the original tar name system_backup_NUMBERS.tar
12. Remove original backup from SDCard to computer keeping it as backup in case you made an error removing some apps
13. Copy your new SYSTEM_BACKUP_NUMBERS to your SDCARD
14. Remove USB cable from phone, boot your phone into recovery mode
15. Use recovery mode to RESTORE the new tweaked file and reboot
16. Check for any dead icons, if it does, clean up as required
17. If everything works on your phone, delete SYSTEM_BACK_NUMBERS saved on your computer and then copy the NEW ONE from SDCARD to computer
18. Reboot phone into recovery mode and make another system backup, this will be your final product

Note: I discovered that you can customize the name of your file ensuring it start with system_backup_ the underscores are required between system and backup and at the end of backup
Example system_backup_MyTweakedSettings.tar

There might seem like there are a lot of steps, hopefully this process will be quicker than having to type in all the commands on your phone or though ADB
It is a very good idea to have one good SYSTEM_BACKUP stowed away on your computer until you complete this process successfully, this way you won't have to redo your entire phone

Good luck and let me know how your adventure goes!

Last edited by elephant007; 03-28-2010 at 07:16 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:41 AM
domo arigato mr roboto
Threadstarter

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: [HOW TO] Remove System Apps: The Easier Way

Has anyone tried this yet?
Old 03-28-2010, 11:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo
Carrier: Sprint

outerpip is a n00b

It does sound easy enough, if not just for the advice on making a backup......backup. Anyway, I rooted last night and all seems well. A little bored with the results, but thats just because I'm not as cool as the rest of you and not knowledgable enough to do some of the things. All in good time though.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:09 PM
domo arigato mr roboto
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerpip View Post
It does sound easy enough, if not just for the advice on making a backup......backup. Anyway, I rooted last night and all seems well. A little bored with the results, but thats just because I'm not as cool as the rest of you and not knowledgable enough to do some of the things. All in good time though.
either that or you didn't take your meds

Yes, backup the backup to give you the end result... that way if you ever have to flash your phone again, you use the last backup to have your phone ready to go with your customizations
Old 03-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Juggs is in the MOMENT

Yay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the community

can i add my own apps that i downloaded from am to the extracted backup and have them installed when i restore?

Old 03-28-2010, 12:53 PM
domo arigato mr roboto
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yay 4 Juggs View Post
can i add my own apps that i downloaded from am to the extracted backup and have them installed when i restore?
I haven't tried that method, thought about doing it though... would be worth a shot, I think maybe placing them in system/app would be a good place for them

The apps you install are backed up when you use the data option too

I'm going to try that right now, get an app I download, back it up, get the APK and put it in system/app to see if it appears and can be used after doing a system restore... I'll post that result soon!
Old 03-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Retired Staff

Yay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the community

ok i tried it in the time it took you to respond...works well...except i somehow screwed up my google apps cause they keep crashing...back to the old drawing board...
Old 03-28-2010, 01:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

outerpip is a n00b

Do we have an idea on what file types are recognizable for audio?
Old 03-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerpip View Post
Do we have an idea on what file types are recognizable for audio?
mp3 and ogg
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

outerpip is a n00b

Wonderful...and I have a wav. I hate not being able to be lazy. ;P

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment