PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red
Threadstarter

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: [HOW TO] Gain Permanent Root on Samsung Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmgombosi View Post
Ok carla and rain thanks for the help.... I got it past where it was locking up but now it locks up at "check download enviroment" any ideas?
Sounds like you need to reinstall the drivers for the phone. What OS are you using?
Old 02-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Threadstarter

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerpip View Post
What about us losers who got roped into running XP x64? And, have we found out how we are going to go about the 2.1 update when it comes out? Mostly I'm just rooting because I'm done with my exploration phase of my phone and now bored. Will probably go back to "official" 2.1 when it comes out to bask in it's glory for about 3 hours then move on.
Actually, I have to admit that I am not sure about what you can do. Have you tried installing the software to see if it is compatible with XP x64? I know most of the apps that I use daily don't claim to be compatible with Win 7 x64 but still work just fine.

As for Android 2.1... I will wait for a few weeks after it is released for the Moment and I am confident that Zeife will rip it apart and build a rom with all the good stuff and none of the bad (aka Sprint apps and rollout SNAFUs).

Last edited by rainfreak; 02-27-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:47 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: EVO / BB 8330
Carrier: sprint/verizon

thmgombosi is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

ok guys after searching all morning (and restoring my vista laptop to factory new) I found out whats wrong. If you have the sprint c14 update (which my phone since it is new did have) you need to downgrade it to the cj05. and use odin 4.03 to do the downgrade. i found out how here http://www.sdx-developers.com/index.php?topic=142.0 and after doing that was able to use rains process.
thank you rain and carla for trying to help.

And rain thank you for setting up this post. Now off to try and find out how to root my wifes hero.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Threadstarter

Quote:
ok guys after searching all morning (and restoring my vista laptop to factory new) I found out whats wrong. If you have the sprint c14 update (which my phone since it is new did have) you need to downgrade it to the cj05. and use odin 4.03 to do the downgrade. i found out how here http://www.sdx-developers.com/index.php?topic=142.0 and after doing that was able to use rains process.

And rain thank you for setting up this post. Now off to try and find out how to root my wifes hero.
Sorry that you had so much trouble but my OP explained how to check if you already had the CL14 update, and if so, I said to use the patchoob kernel. Sorry for the confusion... I guess I need to reword my OP a little better.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:28 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: EVO / BB 8330
Carrier: sprint/verizon

thmgombosi is becoming a great contributor

i tried it that way. but kept locking up. so when i search it said to use it you had to down grade. anyway. not trying to say your work isn't appreciated because, with out it i would still have stock! One other thing i could not find the free BTE in the market. I found a pro (like $3). i found one that is free called ConnectBot. anyways once again thank you for all your hard work Rain!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Threadstarter

Quote:
i tried it that way. but kept locking up. so when i search it said to use it you had to down grade. anyway. not trying to say your work isn't appreciated because, with out it i would still have stock! One other thing i could not find the free BTE in the market. I found a pro (like $3). i found one that is free called ConnectBot. anyways once again thank you for all your hard work Rain!
I didn't think that you were not appreciative, I was just saying that I thought I could have worded it better, which I am planning to change this weekend. But I am glad that you were able to get it done and I hope that you enjoy the root access on your Moment. BTW, there are a lot of apps that require you to be rooted that are pretty cool. Use Google and I think you will find some goodies
Old 02-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

FYI...BTE is just a suggestion, I use the Pro version, but you can use whatever Terminal Emulator you are comfy with
Old 02-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaDarla View Post
FYI...BTE is just a suggestion, I use the Pro version, but you can use whatever Terminal Emulator you are comfy with
Yeah, what she said.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:15 AM
domo arigato mr roboto
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint since Feb 11, 2002

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:

Let me see if I can sum this up

If you have CL14 out the box you will need to downgrade first
Then after downgrading to CJ05 you will use the root process that RainFreak wrote up to gain root?

This definitely pertains to my situation as my phone had CL14 straight out the box. So I'd like some clarification on this matter. Perhaps writing a second how to with something like "For phones that have CL14 out the box"
Old 02-28-2010, 01:37 AM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

The way Rain wrote up to achieve root and flash a custom Kernel is what you need to do if you want to use any of the Ziefe Kernels PRIOR to 13, so 12.1 etc...To do that, you use Odin, and follow the instructions from the first post. To flash the custom CL14, that has CJ05 SBL and all the other CL14 files (Modem, etc..) use my directions (hope you don't mind Rain). If you are on CL14, from Sprint, then yes, you need to downgrade to CJ05 then go back to CL14 Fixed...something, I forget the file name, IF you want to use one of the earlier Kernels. This is the CL14 that will let you use those Kernels, gain root, but it still uses the CJ05 SBL.

If you want to use the most recent ZE13 then you need to upgrade to the official CL14, as in the one from Sprint and Samsung. Very simple, then I did a partial flash, to install Ziefe 13, which will ONLY work if you use the CL14 SBL. To attain partial flash, you basically flash your phone with the Sprint Utility, once that is done, datatool backup, go into the Sprint Utility, backup (copy) the stock .tar in the system file, replace it with the ZE13 Kernel, and you are good to go.

Sounds like a lot, but it actually isn't hard. Even if you have CL14 straight from Sprint, you will still need the Sprint Utitlty to use any of the ZE13 and on Kernels.

http://midnightchannel.net/kernelrom...#39;s-kernels/

Last edited by Carla; 02-28-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment