PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

Patton is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
1st time Android/Moment User w/?'s

Hello all,

Just wanted to get some feeback on the moment which I picked up yesterday as my replacment for my HTC Mogul.

The moment is my 1st Android based phone and I am having a hard time adjusting. As far as smart phone I have always had window's based phone so this is a big change for me.

So far to me it seems that the moment/adroid phones are very basic, low functionality compared to a windows mobile phone. I am guessing that google expects you to serach through the 15,000 apps that are out there to find all the functionality you want for your phone vs windows mobile which comes with most of what you want/need out of the box (at least to me thats been my experince).

Some very basic things seem to be missing from the moment for expample.

1. Spell check when it comes to text and email, auto finishing/correcting a word when it comes to text and email.

2. Security function: There is no option to set a security pass code on the moment. For example if the phone is not used for xyz amount of time the next time you went to use it you would have to put in some kind of pass code that you created. The only thing i have found on the moment is the ability to create some stupid drawing to unlock my phone...lol..who in the world thought of that idea.

3. Lock function: to unlock the moment all you have to do is hit the end call key and then read right on the screen to hit the menu key to unlock, so anyone who can read can unlock your phone. Plus i have noticed that while the phone is locked I can either hit the end call key and then the menu key OR I can just simple slide the keyboard out and it unlocks all by its self whith out having to do anything else.

4. There is almost zero flexability when it comes to customizing the look of your phone. Its all black,grey or maybe white back grounds when it comes to the look of your phone. The only thing appearance wise that I have found to really change is the wall paper and even thats seems limited. Heck they only have like one option for changing display settings. You don't seem to have any option on how your home page layout looks other than moving around the thumb nails (which is nice).

5. Seems you have limited options when it comes to the browser as far as options ect....I finally found the option to set my homepage but that took a while to find (now remember I have only had the phone for about 12 hrs now).

6. Seems like It took a act of congress to figure out how to sync my phone up with my outlook (until yesterday i have never had a gmail account). Fianlly found a program on line that after some messing with allowed me to sync the phone with outlook, but that program is only a 14day free trial after whcih I have to buy it (with the windows mobile phones I just used microsoft sync which was free to back up my phone, now granted the program was buggy but it worked most of the time and it was free).

These are just some of the things that I have noticed missing from the moment, maybe its just me; maybe they are there and I just have not found the settings yet.

From what the tec at sprint last night told me windows mobile is soon to be a thing of the past replaced by android. As best I can tell when it comes to current phones the only two that sprint seems to have that are windows based are the TP2 and HTC snap. My plans were actually to get the TP2 but I eneded up with the andorid based on a recommendation...did I make a mistake?? Should I have gone with the TP2 vs the moment??

Any help would be greatly appreciated......are there settings that I just have not found or do I have to just go and seach through all the apps out there to get what I want out of this phone or should I just take this phnoe back and get the TP2???

Thanks again, sorry to talk your ear's off.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

SAShady is keeping up the good workSAShady is keeping up the good work
Re: 1st time Android/Moment User w/?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
Hello all,

Just wanted to get some feeback on the moment which I picked up yesterday as my replacment for my HTC Mogul.

The moment is my 1st Android based phone and I am having a hard time adjusting. As far as smart phone I have always had window's based phone so this is a big change for me.

So far to me it seems that the moment/adroid phones are very basic, low functionality compared to a windows mobile phone. I am guessing that google expects you to serach through the 15,000 apps that are out there to find all the functionality you want for your phone vs windows mobile which comes with most of what you want/need out of the box (at least to me thats been my experince).

Some very basic things seem to be missing from the moment for expample.

1. Spell check when it comes to text and email, auto finishing/correcting a word when it comes to text and email. It does spell check and auto correct words

2. Security function: There is no option to set a security pass code on the moment. For example if the phone is not used for xyz amount of time the next time you went to use it you would have to put in some kind of pass code that you created. The only thing i have found on the moment is the ability to create some stupid drawing to unlock my phone...lol..who in the world thought of that idea. Pattern is way easier than having to type a password

3. Lock function: to unlock the moment all you have to do is hit the end call key and then read right on the screen to hit the menu key to unlock, so anyone who can read can unlock your phone. Plus i have noticed that while the phone is locked I can either hit the end call key and then the menu key OR I can just simple slide the keyboard out and it unlocks all by its self whith out having to do anything else. You can download various lock programs from the app store like Lock 2.0

4. There is almost zero flexability when it comes to customizing the look of your phone. Its all black,grey or maybe white back grounds when it comes to the look of your phone. The only thing appearance wise that I have found to really change is the wall paper and even thats seems limited. Heck they only have like one option for changing display settings. You don't seem to have any option on how your home page layout looks other than moving around the thumb nails (which is nice). Home screen replacement apps allow themes, skins, and more home screens

5. Seems you have limited options when it comes to the browser as far as options ect....I finally found the option to set my homepage but that took a while to find (now remember I have only had the phone for about 12 hrs now). Try Dolphin Browser

6. Seems like It took a act of congress to figure out how to sync my phone up with my outlook (until yesterday i have never had a gmail account). Fianlly found a program on line that after some messing with allowed me to sync the phone with outlook, but that program is only a 14day free trial after whcih I have to buy it (with the windows mobile phones I just used microsoft sync which was free to back up my phone, now granted the program was buggy but it worked most of the time and it was free).

These are just some of the things that I have noticed missing from the moment, maybe its just me; maybe they are there and I just have not found the settings yet.

From what the tec at sprint last night told me windows mobile is soon to be a thing of the past replaced by android. As best I can tell when it comes to current phones the only two that sprint seems to have that are windows based are the TP2 and HTC snap. My plans were actually to get the TP2 but I eneded up with the andorid based on a recommendation...did I make a mistake?? Should I have gone with the TP2 vs the moment??

Any help would be greatly appreciated......are there settings that I just have not found or do I have to just go and seach through all the apps out there to get what I want out of this phone or should I just take this phnoe back and get the TP2???

Thanks again, sorry to talk your ear's off.
I've had my Moment for 2 months now and i would NEVER consider going to back to a WM device. They were laggy and had to be modified considerably for touch screen. Sure the home screen was touch friendly, but anything else required you to bust out the stylus. Just take some time to get used to Android, and you will love it.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul
Threadstarter

Patton is a n00b

1.Ok is there some setting that I have to go to in order to have it spell check and auto complete words because its not doing it?? I have sent text and spelled words wrong on purpose and it does nothing.

2. I did pay for (1.99 + tax) and download lock 2.0 and the only thing it did was give me a cool look skin and a slider bar to use in order to unlock. I did email the devolper to see if something went wrong because according to the listing it should give me the option to set a password lock amoung other things. Any ideas on what might have gone wrong with this program??

3. I also noticed a lot of programs running in the back ground. When I bought the phone from best buy they recommended advance task killer to help manage programs running in the back ground on all the time. Has anyone had any experince with this program or would recommend it or another?? I did d/l it and it seems to work fine just not sure if its the best one out there.

(before i d/l advance task killer I click on music icon and it started to play some of my mp3's that I loaded from my old phone, but the problem was there was not way to turn it off....the only thing i could do was pause the song but not shut off the music. I was able to once i d/l advance task killer)...is there some trick to turning off music once you start to play it??

Is there anyway for me to see what programs are running in the back ground with out having to run something like advance task killer??

Is there anyway to spice up my text page, and emial page? I mean when i click on message's or email is just brings up a plain black boring screen that has the names of my email accounts or text......also is there anyway to filter my text messages by date vs by who which is what it seems is default for the phone.

I know some of the things i listed above might seem small and pety, but I paid for the phone and really want this phone to work out however I want to be able to enjoy all the creature comforts that I have had on most of my previous phones.

So thanks again for any help and feedback
Old 02-10-2010, 12:26 AM
domo arigato mr roboto
Carrier: Sprint since Feb 11, 2002

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Moxier mail came with your phone, it's easy to get exchange email with that
Just look for WORK EMAIL where all you programs are and it will be there
Old 02-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

Quote:
1.Ok is there some setting that I have to go to in order to have it spell check and auto complete words because its not doing it?? I have sent text and spelled words wrong on purpose and it does nothing.

Look under Locale & Text > Android Keyboard and make sure Quick Fixes and Show Suggestions is selected

2. I did pay for (1.99 + tax) and download lock 2.0 and the only thing it did was give me a cool look skin and a slider bar to use in order to unlock. I did email the devolper to see if something went wrong because according to the listing it should give me the option to set a password lock amoung other things. Any ideas on what might have gone wrong with this program??

3. I also noticed a lot of programs running in the back ground. When I bought the phone from best buy they recommended advance task killer to help manage programs running in the back ground on all the time. Has anyone had any experince with this program or would recommend it or another?? I did d/l it and it seems to work fine just not sure if its the best one out there.

I use advanced task killer. To each his own really. I like how it's easy to add programs to the ignore list, it starts up on power up and save settings (there was one that didn't do this and drove me crazy!) You can also select what the default action whenever you click on the program while in the task killer. I like having the icon in the top notification bar so it's always there. Best of all, it's free

(before i d/l advance task killer I click on music icon and it started to play some of my mp3's that I loaded from my old phone, but the problem was there was not way to turn it off....the only thing i could do was pause the song but not shut off the music. I was able to once i d/l advance task killer)...is there some trick to turning off music once you start to play it??

I would suggest adding a music widget to one of your screens. This gives you the option of starting stopping music quickly without having to kill it with advanced task killer. There is a widget that came with the phone.

Is there anyway for me to see what programs are running in the back ground with out having to run something like advance task killer??

Not to my knowledge

Is there anyway to spice up my text page, and emial page? I mean when i click on message's or email is just brings up a plain black boring screen that has the names of my email accounts or text......also is there anyway to filter my text messages by date vs by who which is what it seems is default for the phone.

Personally, I use chompsms. You can customize everything till your hearts content. There is also handcent. When I tried it, there was a bug that drained the battery in less than an hour so I uninstalled it. That may be fixed now and that could be another option.

I know some of the things i listed above might seem small and pety, but I paid for the phone and really want this phone to work out however I want to be able to enjoy all the creature comforts that I have had on most of my previous phones.

Absolutely! That's the great thing about this site

Check out my responses in blue.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

chibucks is keeping up the good workchibucks is keeping up the good work

Quote:
2. Security function: There is no option to set a security pass code on the moment. For example if the phone is not used for xyz amount of time the next time you went to use it you would have to put in some kind of pass code that you created. The only thing i have found on the moment is the ability to create some stupid drawing to unlock my phone...lol..who in the world thought of that idea.

4. There is almost zero flexability when it comes to customizing the look of your phone. Its all black,grey or maybe white back grounds when it comes to the look of your phone. The only thing appearance wise that I have found to really change is the wall paper and even thats seems limited. Heck they only have like one option for changing display settings. You don't seem to have any option on how your home page layout looks other than moving around the thumb nails (which is nice).
2. if you think of the pattern as a 1-9 keyboard, it's similar to having a lockcode. but to each their own... there's also codes that are in some of the home replacements and i've heard that lockbot free/pro is alright too.

4. customizing themes are being worked at over at sdx-developers.com - it requires a rooted phone and there's a lot of reading; but it's pretty neat.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

vernonlbrown is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvernonlbrown is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvernonlbrown is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvernonlbrown is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvernonlbrown is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to vernonlbrown

Quote:

2. I did pay for (1.99 + tax) and download lock 2.0 and the only thing it did was give me a cool look skin and a slider bar to use in order to unlock. I did email the devolper to see if something went wrong because according to the listing it should give me the option to set a password lock amoung other things. Any ideas on what might have gone wrong with this program?? Once you lock the phone w/Lock 2.0 hit the menu button-settings. Here is where you set a passcode. You can also change the battery icons and stuff.

3. I also noticed a lot of programs running in the back ground. When I bought the phone from best buy they recommended advance task killer to help manage programs running in the back ground on all the time. Has anyone had any experince with this program or would recommend it or another?? I did d/l it and it seems to work fine just not sure if its the best one out there. I have it and I love it. I also use Toggle Settings, which is on the market.

Is there anyway for me to see what programs are running in the back ground with out having to run something like advance task killer?? Not that I know of.

Is there anyway to spice up my text page, and emial page? I mean when i click on message's or email is just brings up a plain black boring screen that has the names of my email accounts or text......also is there anyway to filter my text messages by date vs by who which is what it seems is default for the phone. Try Handcent SMS (New). You can change the text of how it looks and the layout and also you can add a background to it if you want.

Really on all of these programs you have to hit the menu button which brings up another screen for the program.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: ANDROID 2.2 Froyo Deodex

sprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Skype™ to sprintgirl
Cool Re: 1st time Android/Moment User w/?'s

Quote:

Force Stop any applications that are not being used.
Touch Settings
Touch Applications
Touch Manage Applications
Touch Menu
Touch Filter
Touch Running
Scroll through list of all running applications. Select an application to close.
Touch Force Stop

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment