PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 03:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Arrive WP7
Carrier: Sprint

dougd is keeping up the good workdougd is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Internet always on

Switched over to the Moment on Saturday, I was due an upgrade and it was burning a hole in my phone. I have been a long time windows mobile user so this was a big switch for me. I have a couple of questions, I have been flashing one a week or more for the last year or so, so instanting I want to root the phone, since my phone came with the newer updates is there even a reason to root at this point?
Question 2, my internet seems to always be on, the little ev icon is always in the task bar anyways, I cant seem to turn the internet off and its killing my battery. I have done a factory reset already to see if it was something I installed and that didnt appear to solve the problem, anyone else seen this? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola A855 Droid
Carrier: Verizon

vesty16277 is keeping up the good workvesty16277 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to vesty16277
Re: Internet always on

I don't think you need to root unless you want to remove sprint apps pre installed that you do not use. You will want to root if there is some delay to get 2.1 I believe before its rolled out over air update.

As far as your net goes I have the same frustration and I cannot pinpoint the culprit. You need to go into the data synchronization settings and turn everything off. Everytime you visit the market it will tell you that you need to turn it back on to use it. Also kill GPS unless you need it for something at that moment. Give those a try and you should see significant increase.

One other thing I notice is that when I am charging via USB the battery will appear fully charged then quickly roll down to 15%. If I plug it into the wall charger it will be fully charged quickly and hold a stronger charge.
1- Motorola A855 Droid
1 - Flesh Light
Old 02-09-2010, 10:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Arrive WP7
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

dougd is keeping up the good workdougd is keeping up the good work

Wow, I wish I would have logged in to this forum today and read this response, I took back the moment this evening. Today after turning off every option I could, the phone was dead by 2pm. I couldnt live with that. Now after reading what you wrote I wish I had waited one more day. I charged my phone strictly off of the USB. In all the reading I had done over the last few days that was the first I had heard of this fix.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch
Carrier: sprint

Tarin It Up is a n00b

also on the topic of rooting your phone there are some apps that require you to be root. a few task managers and file viewers come to mind but cannot remember the names off the top of my head.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:09 PM
domo arigato mr roboto
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint since Feb 11, 2002

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

wonder if this will help you to quickly turn data off
http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...droid-jxt.aspx
I haven't tried this myself

EDIT:
Perhaps that's only for GSM phones
I'm not sure, have to do more research on it

EDIT 2:
Found this to toggle WiFi
http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...-wifi-qCx.aspx

Last edited by elephant007; 02-10-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola A855 Droid
Carrier: Verizon

vesty16277 is keeping up the good workvesty16277 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to vesty16277

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougd View Post
Wow, I wish I would have logged in to this forum today and read this response, I took back the moment this evening. Today after turning off every option I could, the phone was dead by 2pm. I couldnt live with that. Now after reading what you wrote I wish I had waited one more day. I charged my phone strictly off of the USB. In all the reading I had done over the last few days that was the first I had heard of this fix.
Sorry about your luck! The new c14 update really improves battery life. I rarely use USB. It can damage your USB ports if you put too much draw on it. Windows Mobile I believe has an app that will allow higher current but there are disclaimers all over it. I have both the Moment and TP2 and they both have thier benefits. I miss being able to do alot of stuff I already was familar with in WinMo but I love the smoothness and ease of getting apps. No keyboard lag. Hope you got a nice equivalent swap!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment