PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: VZW

zcarman is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WinMo to Android?

Ok, I'm sure that there are a million people asking this question right now, but I have done all the homework and it seems like I would be missing out on some fun stuff - without having to hack the phone...

Currently on VZW Touch Pro2 running stock 6.5... But very familiar with unlocking SPL's, flashing, etc... We were thinking of saving $90 a month by switching to - ahhh - Sprint. I know, scary! But it's alot of money - and frankly, where I'm at the coverage is pretty darn good.

So, my first thought was to go with 2 TP2's on Sprint, until I saw the magical price tag of $800 for two devices (get $300 back in rebates and credit) but still $500 for 2 TP2's - and my wife hates the camera on mine...

Then I saw the Moment $400 for 2 with $300 in rebates and credit - looks good, but what the heck does Android do differently? Please answer if you have experience with the following questions...

1) I use Outlook to run my business communications and my scheduling - I understand I can get Google Sync to sync this online to my Google Account and it auto updates my phone... Anyone using this and does it work well?

2) Contacts - Same story on Google Sync?

3) Can you tether without rooting - like the ICS cab on WinMo - yet or is someone working on that for the future possibly? This is by no means a deal breaker, but it's nice to have the option when you are in the middle of nowhere to jump online to pull info from a website - like forwarding PDF contract links and such.

4) How does it handle multiple email addresses - I currently have 6 pulling on WinMo (3 @ 5 min, 1 @ 15 min and 2 @ 30 min) - I have used WinMo for ever, but also had a about a year and a half stint with Blackberry. Outlook mobile has always made sense to me, so BB land was a bit of a change. Is Droid closer to Berry or Outlook or something totally different?

5) Screen resolution... My Storm has 480x360 resolution and looks great. These are slightly under and not nearly where my TP2 is at. Does anyone notice after a week or so?

6) No installs to SD cards for apps? Seriously? How much internal memory do these have (Hero and Moment) and how tough is it to root the device to install to SD cards?

7) As I mentioned above, the camera is pretty important. Does the Moment have a decent camera or is it el-sucko? Is there an option to unlock more features (like the 'enable all camera modes' cab on the TP2?)

That's my starting 7.. Any input you have would be appreciated!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: WinMo to Android?

Since I was a die hard WinMo user and left a hacked and jacked TP2 (Sprint) with 6.5.3 for the Moment, I'll chime in. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcarman View Post
Ok, I'm sure that there are a million people asking this question right now, but I have done all the homework and it seems like I would be missing out on some fun stuff - without having to hack the phone...

Currently on VZW Touch Pro2 running stock 6.5... But very familiar with unlocking SPL's, flashing, etc... We were thinking of saving $90 a month by switching to - ahhh - Sprint. I know, scary! But it's alot of money - and frankly, where I'm at the coverage is pretty darn good.

So, my first thought was to go with 2 TP2's on Sprint, until I saw the magical price tag of $800 for two devices (get $300 back in rebates and credit) but still $500 for 2 TP2's - and my wife hates the camera on mine...

Then I saw the Moment $400 for 2 with $300 in rebates and credit - looks good, but what the heck does Android do differently? Please answer if you have experience with the following questions...

1) I use Outlook to run my business communications and my scheduling - I understand I can get Google Sync to sync this online to my Google Account and it auto updates my phone... Anyone using this and does it work well?

I sync my contacts, calendar and email via my Exchange server and it works flawlessly. Google Mail (and Google Voice) sync automatically with nothing more than your username and password, so you will get your Google calendar without issue. You can even choose which source (Exchange, Google Mail, etc) to list your contacts/calendars from (all, one specific, a couple, etc) and it shows you the source when in Contacts, Calendar, etc.

2) Contacts - Same story on Google Sync?

See above answer.

3) Can you tether without rooting - like the ICS cab on WinMo - yet or is someone working on that for the future possibly? This is by no means a deal breaker, but it's nice to have the option when you are in the middle of nowhere to jump online to pull info from a website - like forwarding PDF contract links and such.

You can use PDANet from the Market or root and tether without it, your choice.

4) How does it handle multiple email addresses - I currently have 6 pulling on WinMo (3 @ 5 min, 1 @ 15 min and 2 @ 30 min) - I have used WinMo for ever, but also had a about a year and a half stint with Blackberry. Outlook mobile has always made sense to me, so BB land was a bit of a change. Is Droid closer to Berry or Outlook or something totally different?

I currently get email from my Exchange server, a personal server (rainfreak.com), Google Mail. No problems, I get all emails immediately and without issue.

5) Screen resolution... My Storm has 480x360 resolution and looks great. These are slightly under and not nearly where my TP2 is at. Does anyone notice after a week or so?

The resolution is smaller but much nicer with more vivid and deep colors. The AMOLED screen is amazing, period. Within a day or two you won't even think about the resolution or screen on your old TP2.

6) No installs to SD cards for apps? Seriously? How much internal memory do these have (Hero and Moment) and how tough is it to root the device to install to SD cards?

There is an app (App2SD or something like that) that will allow you to move the installation of an app to the SD Card after installation. I use a diiferent App Manager and it does the same thing. Once rooted, the same applies.

It is way easier to root them than I thought (eh-hem, thanks Carla) and is well worth it. Yesterday I flashed the CL14 update, the new modem and a custom kernel in under 10 minutes total. The phone is running much faster now (not that it was running slow, it has always been more responsive than my TP2 was) and I have permanent root because of the custom kernel.

7) As I mentioned above, the camera is pretty important. Does the Moment have a decent camera or is it el-sucko? Is there an option to unlock more features (like the 'enable all camera modes' cab on the TP2?)

The pictures are nice. I use an app called Camera Zoom FX and it gives you a lot of extra capabilities and effects for the pictures. The flash is good as well.

That's my starting 7.. Any input you have would be appreciated!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

zcarman is a n00b

Sweet answers and very quick... Thanks, I think we shall be listing the Ole TP2 on Craigslist this evening... lol

Crap - one more question... More Google than Android, but hey you're good!

I can sync 2 outlook calendars together with WinMo and Outlook (mine and my wife's) can we sync 2 google calendars across 2 google accounts and 2 Moments?

Last edited by zcarman; 02-17-2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Another stupid question came to mind...
Old 02-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Quote:
Sweet answers and very quick... Thanks, I think we shall be listing the Ole TP2 on Craigslist this evening... lol

I can sync 2 outlook calendars together with WinMo and Outlook (mine and my wife's) can we sync 2 google calendars across 2 google accounts and 2 Moments?
Well that one I am not certain on, but maybe someone else can chime in.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

Quote:

You can only sync 1 account per phone. But google allows you to "share" calendars with other people...

If you go into google mail > calendar, you should see a box on the left hand side and the ability to "Add a friends Calendar" (on a regular PC)
Old 02-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola A855 Droid
Carrier: Verizon

vesty16277 is keeping up the good workvesty16277 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to vesty16277

There are also some import and export functions at least for contacts to go to and from google and outlook if you still want to use outlook. I use my google account, home comcast, and business comcast. Each one I think I am set different sync settings.
1- Motorola A855 Droid
1 - Flesh Light
Old 02-18-2010, 01:03 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

zcarman is a n00b

Yep, got the contact thing figured out...

Back to calendars for a second (and I know we will find out tomorrow when we set these up...) if we share our calendars - i.e. my wife shares her's with me, will that sync to my phone or only to my online google calendar?

You guys are so awesome for 'newbies' that know enough about phones to be really dangerous to Droid... lol

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment