PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Moment (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   battery glitch? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=101005)

shailigum 12-09-2009 10:10 PM

battery glitch?

seems like the battery stays under 15 percent for hours...after a full charge, when the battery meter drops into the red zone (under 15 percent) it stays there forever..even while using it constantly. Seems like the phone is not reading the battery level properly? It's just annoying because the screen gets dim and the keyboard backlight shuts off due to 'low power' even though it seems like theres plenty to keep the phone going...anybody else expiriencing this?

troyolson92 12-10-2009 09:02 AM

Re: battery glitch?

Ok to sum it up here is what I've noticed so far:
1) battery rarely show 100%
2) VERY quickly drops to 90%
3) quickly drops to 50%
4) less quickly drops to 15%
5) last forever at 15% before droping to 5%
6) Lasts average time at 5% before droping to 3%
7) after average amount of time that it! I've never shown below 3%

I've already returned one phone that would not hold a charge! Sprint replaced the battery and it didn't make a difference. The battery would instantly drop to 50%-5% within seconds after full charge then die.

It's obviously a SOFTWARE issue:

clockcycle 12-11-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troyolson92 (Post 1401741)
Ok to sum it up here is what I've noticed so far:
1) battery rarely show 100%
2) VERY quickly drops to 90%
3) quickly drops to 50%
4) less quickly drops to 15%
5) last forever at 15% before droping to 5%
6) Lasts average time at 5% before droping to 3%
7) after average amount of time that it! I've never shown below 3%

I've already returned one phone that would not hold a charge! Sprint replaced the battery and it didn't make a difference. The battery would instantly drop to 50%-5% within seconds after full charge then die.

It's obviously a SOFTWARE issue:

Do you remove the charger from the unit as soon as the unit says "full charge" or are you talking about in the morning when you get up after a nights charge? It only takes 2 hours to charge to full. So if you sleep 8 ours, it was Full charge the first 2 hours and then started using the battery charge for the next 6 hours. so if you remove the charger after 8 hours of charging, it "should" drop to 80-90% for the 6 hours the units was on it's battery. Once the charging reaches "full charge" it stops charging.

Makes sense? Hope so.

Also any pull/push, facebook, ebuddy, chat program you have on the unit will eat up battery really quickly.

Many widgets on your home screens also eat up battery. Especially those that update themselves every 2-5-10-30 mins.

All the apps you install that do stuff in the background will use up your battery extensively.

Battery widgets that poll consistently will eat up your battery.

There are tips and tricks (settings) that will help you prolong your battery life in the other unit forums that work for most Android phones, as well as ours.

After a few weeks, my phone holds up nicely. especially now that my initial trying everything out on the phone phase is calming down back to normal usage.

troyolson92 12-17-2009 11:22 AM

Got a new phone couple weeks ago. This one's battery is holding up fine. I want to post a couple of false myths. 1st.. icons on home page or in my case 7 home screens full (I use open home), do NOT interfer with battery OR performance, UNLESS THEY ACCESS THE INTERNET/DATA (EX:WEATHER). program shortcuts etc. do NOT use ANY battery or processor. I say this after sprint sales guy was all over when I tried returning my phone the first time swearing up and down it was all my download crap and the widgets using my battery. COMPLETELY FALSE!! Widgets only use battery and processor when updating! Most shortcuts/widgets are just to launch programs and DO NOT use processor and battery. This guys was a fool. I was happy the new battery not working either proved him wrong. Turns out my battery issue was related to the phone (samsung software or other harware issues). A new phone and full charge I went back to show him ALL my 7 pages filled with crap and 40% battery after 10 hours of medium to heavy use!

To sum it up:
THE SAMSUNG MOMENT BATTERY ISSUE IS NOT RELATED TO THE BATTERY. IT'S THE ROOT SAMSUNG SOFTWARE OR OTHER HARDWARE ISSUE.

WIDGETS THAT DON'T UPDATE USE NO BATTERY OR PROCESSOR POWER ON YOUR PHONE. i HAVE 7 HOME SCREENS FULL, INCLUDING, WEATHER, NFL, BEAUTIFUL HOME, BUZZ DECK..... tHERE IS ZERO DECREASE IN MY BATTERY LIFE OR AVAILABLE PROCESSOR MEMORY/SPEED WHEN COMPARED TO HAVING NO WIDGETS!!!!

CranberrySauce 12-19-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clockcycle (Post 1405815)
Once the charging reaches "full charge" it stops charging.

Makes sense? Hope so.

Nope, I don't see how that makes any sense. If you're disabling the charger input, you're making the wall adapter useless. Device manufacturers want to make devices that operate logically, thus if your phone were to die of a low battery while on the charger, people would get upset and return the device. No Lithium Ion charge controller manufacturer wants to do that and lose all their business.

They merely operate on a threshold. When the battery goes below a voltage the charger charges. When it exceeds a voltage, it stops charging. Thus, the battery will constantly be oscillating slightly in a certain upper percentile range of its capacity while on the charger. (see: Wikipedia)

ExitWound 12-20-2009 06:49 PM

Ok... I WAS having the issue w/ poor battery life. Everything was fine until I received my first text msg. My wife has the Hero (they are having the same issue) and we found this: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...22&postcount=1
We did this on my phone and now it works perfectly! I used Handcent app. Hope it helps everyone and good luck!

Talon Pro 12-20-2009 11:15 PM

This is a REALLY good read, for noobs and geeks alike :)

http://www.androidtapp.com/how-i-kil...d-my-mistakes/