PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 11:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

kporter1500 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Incoming calls

Im starting to dislike this phone more and more. So my phone gets so hung up sometimes that if I receive an incoming call, neither the hard nor soft key will let me answer the call. Is anybody else having this problem???
Old 12-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff
Re: Incoming calls

Do you have a lot of programs running in the background? The only time my phone ran slowly, I looked at Task Manager and I had many (as in, more than 8 ) programs running all at the same time. If you don't use the XButtonClose setting (which has its own issues) you have to be careful about exiting programs now and then - completely closing them, not just hitting "OK" - or this (and any) WinMo phone will slow down. WinMo is supposed to manage memory for you, closing down programs when things get tight, but the Intrepid doesn't seem to do that very well.

If it's not that, I'd have to guess it's something you have installed or tweaked. There are a number of things I don't like about the Intrepid, but responsiveness and stability are actually not among the problem areas for me.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

1sae is keeping up the good work1sae is keeping up the good work

kporter, I'm with you. I've been getting pretty frustrated with it myself. My phone's been doing the same thing as of late. To the point I hard reset the phone. Once I got everything back to the way I like it, slow and buggy again. Think it may be that I have quite a lot of texts loaded, it it doesn't like that. Testing deleting them. I'll let you know if that helps.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

If you hard reset and the problem doesn't manifest until you get things set the way you like it, then something about the way you like it is causing the problem. Most WM phones I had to soft reset every day or two - with this phone I can go a week at least before weird memory issues start showing up (like device lock failing to engage, etc.)

Let us know how deleting the texts works, 1sae. I know you do a lot of texting and I do virtually none. You've already identified the issue with tmail.exe crashing due to a lot of texts, so it could be a memory leak in Samsung's SMS/MMS front-end. If your experiments appear to solve it, maybe we can look harder at going back to the pocket outlook SMS (though I think you'd lose MMS if we did that, because doesn't sprint require something like picturemail or arcsoft to do MMS?)

Just thinking out loud...merry christmas all...
Old 12-25-2009, 09:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G/U301 USB Card

gprimr1 is becoming a great contributor

Samsung's MMS program is a piece of crap. I would love to be able to rip it out and install Arcsoft.

Installing Arcsoft along with Samsung MMS doesn't work.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

1sae is keeping up the good work1sae is keeping up the good work

So far it's looking like the texts are the issue. After I've deleted all the old texts, the phone seems pretty stable.

Haus, what I mean by setting it up the way I like it, also includes ms myphone, and that has a backup of sms, and mms. So I still had to go in and remove the old ones after it syncs. There was something like 1200 in there that I sent to the archive on the myphone website.

Wish there was a way to have the messages recycle once they reach a certain number or amount of days old.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

kporter1500 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sae View Post
So far it's looking like the texts are the issue. After I've deleted all the old texts, the phone seems pretty stable.

Haus, what I mean by setting it up the way I like it, also includes ms myphone, and that has a backup of sms, and mms. So I still had to go in and remove the old ones after it syncs. There was something like 1200 in there that I sent to the archive on the myphone website.

Wish there was a way to have the messages recycle once they reach a certain number or amount of days old.
yea I have a lot of texts saved too....I guess I will trying wiping all of the texts clean and see what that does.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

kporter1500 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus View Post
Do you have a lot of programs running in the background? The only time my phone ran slowly, I looked at Task Manager and I had many (as in, more than 8 ) programs running all at the same time. If you don't use the XButtonClose setting (which has its own issues) you have to be careful about exiting programs now and then - completely closing them, not just hitting "OK" - or this (and any) WinMo phone will slow down. WinMo is supposed to manage memory for you, closing down programs when things get tight, but the Intrepid doesn't seem to do that very well.

If it's not that, I'd have to guess it's something you have installed or tweaked. There are a number of things I don't like about the Intrepid, but responsiveness and stability are actually not among the problem areas for me.
It's funny because I make sure that everything is closed because I know how bad the phone can get hung up...so I use my "x" key faithfully. It doesnt do it all the time but I hate it when it does....uuuuugghhhhhh!!!! lol
Old 12-28-2009, 08:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Intrepid

jp0213x is becoming a great contributor

You should get in the habit of using the task manager to close apps. Hold down the wireless shortcut key under the return arrow key to bring up the task manager.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid