PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2/treo pro/mogul
Carrier: sprint

miketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is it worth the switch ??

I have two lines. Main line is with the touch pro 2 and the other is the treo pro. I miss having on my main line a candy bar type phone with a front keyboard. the treo pro was easy to use but the keyboard was to cramped that with my big fingers was hard to use and would make a lot of mistakes. The touch pro 2 is great but the form factor is still hard for me to get used to.

2 questions.

1. Is the intrepid a better phone than the treo pro (or touch pro for that matter) considering the bigger keyboard and in general ?

2. Am I crazy to consider moving my touch pro 2 to my secondary line for the intrepid?

one more think, I would have to sign a new contract for this for the discounted price.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Re: Is it worth the switch ??

the only thing (so far) that i can say is my brother just scored the intrepid and the battery life is WAY better than his treo pro. 2-3 days between charges.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid
Carrier: Sprint

mtilson is a n00b

I recently signed up with Sprint and went Treo Pro > Touch Pro 2 > Intrepid and have finally found happiness (somewhat). Like you, I thought the Treo Pro's keyboard was extremely cramped and just too difficult to quickly type on. I thought the TP2 would be the end-all-be-all phone I've been waiting for but quickly found that I can't live without a 5 button d pad and much prefer a front-facing qwerty. The TP2 is also too heavy. I was initially attracted to the Intrepid by the very respectable ROM/RAM stats. The Intrepid has too many quirks (as have been well documented in several published reviews - several have been addressed in Haus's great thread) to be deemed a "great" phone, but, overall, I've been pleased and feel it's the only viable option for a touchscreen, Windows Mobile phone with front-facing qwerty.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

I've never used the Treo Pro so I can't speak to question 1 other than the fact that I believe the Treo Pro has a 320x320 screen. You will miss those 80px. I miss my VGA Touch Pro. But I'm learning to live with it.

Question 2: I'm not exactly sure why you're asking this. If you're wondering if people will make fun of you for giving up a Touch Pro 2 for the Intrepid, most definitely yes they will. But 1 out of 100 or so people will recognize the value of a front-facing qwerty, d-pad, and OK button, and say "ok, yeah". So I'm with mtilson (thanks for the kudos by the way)...the Intrepid is a decent phone with awesome battery life in a really really really thin package. It's probably the first phone I have ever owned that I didn't immediately think "I need to go get an extended battery for this".
Old 11-12-2009, 01:04 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

raiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

i gave up a tp2 for the intrepid. best keyboard ever. one handed use is amazing.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

miketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good work

I convinced my friend to temporarily swap mt treo pro for his intrepid. i am trying to get everything working before i make the switch. i treid gramin and igo8 for gps navigation and they would not detect the gps. they are both brand new progams. any solutions ?

also I used the ##pin number that i used to activate the phone and it worked to unlock the sim, what does that do?
Old 11-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketab View Post
I convinced my friend to temporarily swap mt treo pro for his intrepid. i am trying to get everything working before i make the switch. i treid gramin and igo8 for gps navigation and they would not detect the gps. they are both brand new progams. any solutions ?

also I used the ##pin number that i used to activate the phone and it worked to unlock the sim, what does that do?
See post 1 in my thread for your GPS answer. Maybe. If they are really brand new, they should know to look for GPD9: (the right port). If they're a bit older, they might not. Is your location service turned on?

Can't answer the sim question, this is the first worldphone I've ever used.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:31 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

jpruett79 is a n00b

I will also say the keyboard is great. yesterday i switched from a treo pro to the intrepid and so far im loving it i have large hands and could never get used to typing fast without missing a lot of letters. I cant speak for the battery yet. it does have a smaller screen than the treo pro but i had bought a lot of software that i couldn't use on my treo due to the odd screen size. Im hoping i can use it again now that im back to a standard screen ratio.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpruett79 View Post
I will also say the keyboard is great. yesterday i switched from a treo pro to the intrepid and so far im loving it i have large hands and could never get used to typing fast without missing a lot of letters. I cant speak for the battery yet. it does have a smaller screen than the treo pro but i had bought a lot of software that i couldn't use on my treo due to the odd screen size. Im hoping i can use it again now that im back to a standard screen ratio.
just curious, how did you switch from the treo pro to the intrepid, I would like to do the same thing. The keyboard on the Treo Pro is way too small and after using my friends intrepid I would like to make the switch also. Still in contract, if anyone has a way please let me know.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:07 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

jpruett79 is a n00b

had a phone on another line that was eligible for an upgrade so i just activated it on that line and someone in the sprint store called and had customer service flip the phones around. not that big a deal actually.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid