PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Intrepid (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Is it worth the switch ?? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=96066)

miketab 11-11-2009 10:06 PM

Is it worth the switch ??

I have two lines. Main line is with the touch pro 2 and the other is the treo pro. I miss having on my main line a candy bar type phone with a front keyboard. the treo pro was easy to use but the keyboard was to cramped that with my big fingers was hard to use and would make a lot of mistakes. The touch pro 2 is great but the form factor is still hard for me to get used to.

2 questions.

1. Is the intrepid a better phone than the treo pro (or touch pro for that matter) considering the bigger keyboard and in general ?

2. Am I crazy to consider moving my touch pro 2 to my secondary line for the intrepid?

one more think, I would have to sign a new contract for this for the discounted price.

Dr.8820 11-11-2009 10:08 PM

Re: Is it worth the switch ??

the only thing (so far) that i can say is my brother just scored the intrepid and the battery life is WAY better than his treo pro. 2-3 days between charges.

mtilson 11-11-2009 11:03 PM

I recently signed up with Sprint and went Treo Pro > Touch Pro 2 > Intrepid and have finally found happiness (somewhat). Like you, I thought the Treo Pro's keyboard was extremely cramped and just too difficult to quickly type on. I thought the TP2 would be the end-all-be-all phone I've been waiting for but quickly found that I can't live without a 5 button d pad and much prefer a front-facing qwerty. The TP2 is also too heavy. I was initially attracted to the Intrepid by the very respectable ROM/RAM stats. The Intrepid has too many quirks (as have been well documented in several published reviews - several have been addressed in Haus's great thread) to be deemed a "great" phone, but, overall, I've been pleased and feel it's the only viable option for a touchscreen, Windows Mobile phone with front-facing qwerty.

haus 11-11-2009 11:24 PM

I've never used the Treo Pro so I can't speak to question 1 other than the fact that I believe the Treo Pro has a 320x320 screen. You will miss those 80px. I miss my VGA Touch Pro. But I'm learning to live with it.

Question 2: I'm not exactly sure why you're asking this. If you're wondering if people will make fun of you for giving up a Touch Pro 2 for the Intrepid, most definitely yes they will. But 1 out of 100 or so people will recognize the value of a front-facing qwerty, d-pad, and OK button, and say "ok, yeah". So I'm with mtilson (thanks for the kudos by the way)...the Intrepid is a decent phone with awesome battery life in a really really really thin package. It's probably the first phone I have ever owned that I didn't immediately think "I need to go get an extended battery for this".

raiderfan247365 11-12-2009 01:04 AM

i gave up a tp2 for the intrepid. best keyboard ever. one handed use is amazing.

miketab 11-12-2009 12:56 PM

I convinced my friend to temporarily swap mt treo pro for his intrepid. i am trying to get everything working before i make the switch. i treid gramin and igo8 for gps navigation and they would not detect the gps. they are both brand new progams. any solutions ?

also I used the ##pin number that i used to activate the phone and it worked to unlock the sim, what does that do?

haus 11-12-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miketab (Post 1322448)
I convinced my friend to temporarily swap mt treo pro for his intrepid. i am trying to get everything working before i make the switch. i treid gramin and igo8 for gps navigation and they would not detect the gps. they are both brand new progams. any solutions ?

also I used the ##pin number that i used to activate the phone and it worked to unlock the sim, what does that do?

See post 1 in my thread for your GPS answer. Maybe. If they are really brand new, they should know to look for GPD9: (the right port). If they're a bit older, they might not. Is your location service turned on?

Can't answer the sim question, this is the first worldphone I've ever used.

jpruett79 11-17-2009 03:31 PM

I will also say the keyboard is great. yesterday i switched from a treo pro to the intrepid and so far im loving it i have large hands and could never get used to typing fast without missing a lot of letters. I cant speak for the battery yet. it does have a smaller screen than the treo pro but i had bought a lot of software that i couldn't use on my treo due to the odd screen size. Im hoping i can use it again now that im back to a standard screen ratio.

miketab 11-17-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpruett79 (Post 1337627)
I will also say the keyboard is great. yesterday i switched from a treo pro to the intrepid and so far im loving it i have large hands and could never get used to typing fast without missing a lot of letters. I cant speak for the battery yet. it does have a smaller screen than the treo pro but i had bought a lot of software that i couldn't use on my treo due to the odd screen size. Im hoping i can use it again now that im back to a standard screen ratio.

just curious, how did you switch from the treo pro to the intrepid, I would like to do the same thing. The keyboard on the Treo Pro is way too small and after using my friends intrepid I would like to make the switch also. Still in contract, if anyone has a way please let me know.

jpruett79 11-17-2009 07:07 PM

had a phone on another line that was eligible for an upgrade so i just activated it on that line and someone in the sprint store called and had customer service flip the phones around. not that big a deal actually.