PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Haus Intrepid Tips and Tricks

thanks...I'm actually using the Touch Pro, not the treo pro. enough people said the Intrepid was an upgrade from the treo that I skipped that route.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

raiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus View Post
Seems as good a place as any to let folks here know that I'm shelving my Intrepid for now; the unfixed issues (and mostly the dreadfully tiny screen) have finally driven me back to the Touch Pro. I am experimenting with some of the recent 6.5.3 touch-friendly builds that people here are working on. Impressive stuff; HTC and (I shudder to admit this) Microsoft have made significant gains with the new builds, and there is a lot of good work going on here to roll those changes into new ROMs. That kind of user community will never exist for the Intrepid and I lack the skills to take things to that level with this device.

With these two devices next to one another, one thing struck me. The two screens are almost exactly the same physical size, maybe 1/8" different. Which means that with a bit of effort, Samsung could have put a VGA screen on the Intrepid. That would have made an amazing difference to me.

It has been a pleasure working on this device and I very much appreciate all the help, comments, and ideas from everyone else here, and of course special thanks to the 11 people that thanked post 1 (and the subsequent posts). Hopefully more than 11 people actually found the info useful, considering the amount of time I devoted to making this phone usable.

I will continue to maintain a presence here to some extent; I'll help when I can and if anyone finds tips that are useful and you want me to add them to the first page, I will happily do so. Just post here and let me know. Thanks again and good luck with your devices. If Samsung ever does release an update to the Intrepid perhaps they will fix some of the issues we've identified here.
Ya its crazy how those little annoyances steadily take the fun out of the intrepid i still say that i love this phone but the issues it has are just too much. I know yo hate the 320x240 Haus, and looking at what blackberry crams into their pda's its tough too rationalize how samsung could miss this one so bad. The screen size gave host to problems with program compatibility as well. I would still be using an intrepid because its so darn light in my pocket and one handed use was incredible but the phone is crippled, bottom line. And i think i thanked your post
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:46 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue

goducks is just getting started

I totally understand the draw for the TP2. Just too bulky for me. I have a netbook and don't really surf the web on my phone, other than checking weather and surf reports and occasionally the NY Times which I use mDigger (downloads it for you) for anyway. It's more of a PDA and music player for me plus business email. So size wins out. I do wish they had put a 320x320 screen on here for documents but I'm coming from a Moto Q so I'm used to QVGA.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid

Tmair is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Ok I just got mine, what issues does it have?
Mine seams to work just fine, but I know it will never be a do it all device, windows wont play videos, unless they got it to work on this one, I haven't tried because the Touch wouldn't do it.
I don't mind the screen, I had a Palm Centro before the Touch, the screen was fantastic but way small.
Docs looks better on this phone then on the Touch, the keyboard is perfect and I have thumbs large enough to completely cover a quarter no joke and I type just fine on it, and the phone works.
I have to ask what real issues does this device have, I read every post hopeing to see an answer to the question about how do you add more favorites to the favorites tab? if I knew that I would hard reset my phone, the home screen customizer broke it, I uninstalled the program but did not get the new home screen back so just using the old version.
Anyway so far I like it.
Terry
Old 03-19-2010, 01:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

tedtlogan is a n00b

I've been having to hard reset every month or so, anyone else? Like, I've had the problem where when i start, the home screen won't work, and it just says voice command can't be started, and text message doesn't work, either.

I have to hard reset to fix it.

Does anyone know if there is a rom update available since the intrepid came out? Like, a firmware update?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G
Threadstarter

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

@Tmair, the issues of the intrepid are pretty much outlined in this thread and a few others. Backlight timeout problems, message notification LED failure, tmail.exe crashes, things like that.

@Tedtlogan, yes I saw that issue now and then. I know others did too; I read a complaint somewhere that someone said this was happening out of the box (I seriously don't believe that, but...). I had installed something that was causing the voicecmd.exe memory error, though I don't recall what it was. Uninstalling it fixed the problem.

I've had my firefox update scanner tuned to Samsung's download page for the Intrepid for 5 months and nothing has been updated.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Thanks Haus, but I have had no real problems with it yet, yes the back light for the buttons does shut down way to fast for my likes, but if you just hit one of the buttons it comes right back on.
The only time I have had to hard reset my device was when I used the home screen program recomended here to customize the home screen it locked up so I had to hard reset, other then that no problems, and it does play videos if they are in the correct format.
Still waiting for some one to come up with a way to add some real favorites to the favorites bar on the new home screen, until then I am using the old style home screen, and I must say I do think the start menu is stupid, don't know what they where thinking there.
Terry
Old 03-20-2010, 06:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond

SComp23 is keeping up the good workSComp23 is keeping up the good work

I got rid of my Intrepid. I'm done with WinMo, tired of the glitches and, well, the glitches.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Geez I am kind of liking mine, it seams as responsive as my Palm devices where, and you get multitasking, it is way better then the Touch I replaced, now that was a buggy PDA.
Terry
Old 04-04-2010, 12:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Back on the first page there is section on ring tones, it says you need WMA files for the ring tones, I dropped some mp3 files into the ring folder, they will play as ring tones, thought this might be useful for some.
Terry
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid