PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Intrepid (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Garmin Mobile XT (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=131723)

jp0213x 08-16-2010 10:21 PM

Garmin Mobile XT

Is anyone using the Garmin Mobile XT software software on the Intrepid? I was able to load it but I am having problems getting it connected to the gps. Does anyone know what port the garmin software needs to use to acquire a signal?

Masterface7 08-17-2010 10:05 AM

Re: Garmin Mobile XT

On most windows mobile devices I think it is com 4 but if Garmin isn't finding it on its own then I would recommend getting another gps program to test it or prime it. Chartcross gps is easy to find and i think i remember one named gps viewer a while back. Those programs can help finding the GPS then either leave it open for Garmin or you can just use the info from them.

jp0213x 08-17-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterface7 (Post 1914673)
On most windows mobile devices I think it is com 4 but if Garmin isn't finding it on its own then I would recommend getting another gps program to test it or prime it. Chartcross gps is easy to find and i think i remember one named gps viewer a while back. Those programs can help finding the GPS then either leave it open for Garmin or you can just use the info from them.

What would chartcross do, do I use this for garmin or do I used chartcross instead?

Tmair 08-17-2010 11:14 AM

I have Garmin running on my intrepid, it found the GPS no problem, just wondering, if you go to Settings>System>Externsl GPS, the third tab says "Access", make sure "Manage GPS automatically" is checked!
Infact the only GPS program that I have installed on my Intrepid that has not been able to find the GPS is Destinator, to bad, that looked like it would have been a decent GPS program, I have been looking around for a new program since Garmin has decided to NOT support WM any longer, I have emailed them twice trying to get them to atleast sell the updated maps to those who would like to have them, since they came out with their own phone they have abandoned us, tobad, from what I have read their phone is clunky, and they have it on, in my opinion, the worst carrier in the industry!
Anyway I hope this helps.
Terry

jp0213x 08-17-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmair (Post 1914728)
I have Garmin running on my intrepid, it found the GPS no problem, just wondering, if you go to Settings>System>Externsl GPS, the third tab says "Access", make sure "Manage GPS automatically" is checked!
Infact the only GPS program that I have installed on my Intrepid that has not been able to find the GPS is Destinator, to bad, that looked like it would have been a decent GPS program, I have been looking around for a new program since Garmin has decided to NOT support WM any longer, I have emailed them twice trying to get them to atleast sell the updated maps to those who would like to have them, since they came out with their own phone they have abandoned us, tobad, from what I have read their phone is clunky, and they have it on, in my opinion, the worst carrier in the industry!
Anyway I hope this helps.
Terry

I did check my setting, that was already checked off, when I launch garmin, it goes through the "scanning attached" for some reason its not finding the gps.

Masterface7 08-17-2010 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp0213x (Post 1914684)
What would chartcross do, do I use this for garmin or do I used chartcross instead?

Chartcross or holux gps viewier is a small program only used to open the gps port and gain some info from it like maybe speed, or number of connected satellites. One trick other people do for other nav software (not garmin) is to run a small light program like that to get the gps going then run the larger navigation program and the nav program will get a gps lock eaiser. Garmin does not need this but since you are having problems it is just an option. The holux gps viewer has a button built in where it will scan all your ports and tell you which one to use for gps. I am feeling extra generous today so ill even attach it.

in that zip is an .exe that is to be run on your phone.

jp0213x 08-17-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterface7 (Post 1914941)
Chartcross or holux gps viewier is a small program only used to open the gps port and gain some info from it like maybe speed, or number of connected satellites. One trick other people do for other nav software (not garmin) is to run a small light program like that to get the gps going then run the larger navigation program and the nav program will get a gps lock eaiser. Garmin does not need this but since you are having problems it is just an option. The holux gps viewer has a button built in where it will scan all your ports and tell you which one to use for gps. I am feeling extra generous today so ill even attach it.

in that zip is an .exe that is to be run on your phone.

I do have google maps loaded on my phone, would that interfere with anything?

Tmair 08-17-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp0213x (Post 1914986)
I do have google maps loaded on my phone, would that interfere with anything?

It should not, I have Bing, Google Maps, ZorroGPS, and Garmin, all found the GPS no problem I can't believe you are having this kind of trouble with Garmin.
Terry

jp0213x 08-17-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmair (Post 1915128)
It should not, I have Bing, Google Maps, ZorroGPS, and Garmin, all found the GPS no problem I can't believe you are having this kind of trouble with Garmin.
Terry

I just scans the blue tooth and eventually doesn't pick up a gps. I followed the direction as mentioned. I run the app from my sd card, I run the Queppc to launch the app.

Tmair 08-17-2010 06:09 PM

So it did not install to programs?