PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid
Carrier: SPRINT

firstafro is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Random Phone Shutdown fix?....

I've had my Intrepid pretty much since day 1. The first few months, it would randomly reset, like once a month or so. But more recently (2 months +) it resets like 6 times a day,( and then it just cycles through the Samsung start up sequence, but never actually loads unless I turn it off then plug it in for a while, then hit the power button). This is a huge inconvenience when using google maps, or Bing directions, making both of those programs useless.

I brought my phone to a Sprint store 3-4 times, they take it to the back and "fix" it, not sure what they've done to it, but I'm pretty sure they don't do much.

I finally got a good Sprint tech. He asked me about the issues, then replaced it with a re-furb for free and a new battery. Here is the point of this long post: When he went to sync my messages, he said I have around 3000 txt messages, and that one of the possible reasons it's been crashing, is that the Intrepid stores all the messages in the phones memory, NOT the memory card. When I got home it literally took me about an hour to delete all 3000 texts, and it froze and had to be restarted a bunch of times. Since the deletion, no problem and I can definitely tell a difference after deleting the texts. (although this could be due to a "fresh" phone too)

So just an FYI, if your phone crashes a lot, and for no reason... Try and Delete some text messages.

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited by firstafro; 07-13-2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spelling.... again.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Intrepid
Carrier: Sprint

jp0213x is becoming a great contributor
Re: Random Phone Shutdown fix?....

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstafro View Post
I've had my Intrepid pretty much since day 1. The first few months, it would randomly reset, like once a month or so. But more recently (2 months +) it resets like 6 times a day,( and then it just cycles through the Samsung start up sequence, but never actually loads unless I turn it off then plug it in for a while, then hit the power button). This is a huge inconvenience when using google maps, or Bing directions, making both of those programs useless.

I brought my phone to a Sprint store 3-4 times, they take it to the back and "fix" it, not sure what they've done to it, but I'm pretty sure they don't do much.

I finally got a good Sprint tech. He asked me about the issues, then replaced it with a re-furb for free and a new battery. Here is the point of this long post: When he went to sync my messages, he said I have around 3000 txt messages, and that one of the possible reasons it's been crashing, is that the Intrepid stores all the messages in the phones memory, NOT the memory card. When I got home it literally took me about an hour to delete all 3000 texts, and it froze and had to be restarted a bunch of times. Since the deletion, no problem and I can definitely tell a difference after deleting the texts. (although this could be due to a "fresh" phone too)

So just an FYI, if your phone crashes a lot, and for no reason... Try and Delete some text messages.

Hope this helps someone!
It could be anything that causes random shutdowns. I am good about cleaning out my text message and I was still getting random shut downs. I haven't had any shutdowns recently but it is sporadic.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Boost Mobile

jac1599 is just getting started

I delete my texts once a day. It really really causes the phone to bog down even after 100 messages.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Lurker
Carrier: Sprint

jinwong is a n00b

I had the same issue with the text messages. My phone would lock up my everytime I opened a text message. I read that if you have Windows Mobile 6.5 and have the threaded message enabled that the phone would try to reload all your messages which would cause the phone to lock up. I have since disabled the threaded text messages and deleted all my old ones (over 1,000 text messages) and the phone works fine.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid