PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 12:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Fuzzy Wuzzy is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Anyone try the new firmware for Intrepid posted on sprint.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpruett79 View Post
Well i tried it a couple days ago and im not impressed at all. the biggest difference i have found is it changed some of the test in my text conversations from red to blue. but i have to say my favorite part of the update is that now i have to reset my phone at least 3 times a day because it keeps losing its internet connection. I am NOT impressed and im not happy with this update at all.
Mine does that too actually, I find that putting it in flight mode and then turning flight mode off fixes the issue.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:28 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue

goducks is just getting started

I seem to have mine in a stable configuration right now and am loathe to mess with that. Think I will pass on this upgrade. I don't hear any improvements in this.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid

Tmair is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
I seem to have mine in a stable configuration right now and am loathe to mess with that. Think I will pass on this upgrade. I don't hear any improvements in this.
Yeah I'm happy with mine too, if it ain't broke (much) don't fix it!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid, HP 614c, Palm Treo Pro, few more
Carrier: ATT, Sprint.

nicedeboy is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrapi View Post
Woot, got it working via the downloadable updater.

Step 1)
Get this file from the interwebs: 20080305034806796_MCCI_Driver_4.40.7.exe and extract it to a folder somewhere.
Wooo, firmware flashed.
Thankyou, this helped me! I was ready to throw in the white towel. I've noticed a few changes as well as a few problems. Text messaging colors are changed. One big problem I noticed: I have to restart my phone every 24 hour period or I will receive an error about not able to connect online.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:20 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

jpruett79 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicedeboy View Post
Thankyou, this helped me! I was ready to throw in the white towel. I've noticed a few changes as well as a few problems. Text messaging colors are changed. One big problem I noticed: I have to restart my phone every 24 hour period or I will receive an error about not able to connect online.
Oh getting that driver loaded was a nightmare. My phone does seem a little more stable and have a little better battery life after the update but to me the internet thing is a deal breaker. Yall that just have to reset your phone once a day are lucky. I have to reset mine a minimum of 3 times a day. The airplane mode does do the trick but that takes almost as long as a reset. In fairness i had the problem once in a while before the update but i only had to reset my phone about every 3 days. to be fair i probably needed to do that anyway so it never bothered me. Right now the only thing that keeps me from jumping ship to andriod is the fact that i have invested too much money in WM software and i dont trust google. I guess i could try a tp2 but i just dont think i would be happy with it either. Gotta have a headset jack and i think it still requires the adapter.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Tmair is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I have not done the update, I only have to reset my intrepid every couple of days, and every thing seams to work so ready to make changes just yet.
So HTC still insists on making you either use their USB headset, or an adapter, I like HTC, but that is a joke, main reason I hated my Touch,
Terry
Old 06-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

raiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

tp2 has headphone jack

DONATE
Old 06-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

rzeppa is just getting started

Finally decided to take the plunge and run the update. Here are my notes after 2 days of heavy use:

- WMWifiRouter still works
- Phone Lock screen on startup is slightly different. (Keypad is not shown automatically anymore. Maybe this was a setting?)
- Bing WM6 still works with modified config file
- User name color coding in threaded text view is different ( another post mentioned this. I think it's cosmetic)
- Email default signature has new Sprint/Intrepid branding.
- No more random black-screen phone lockups. (this was a huge issue for me, as it would lock up at least once a day whether on the charger or just from sitting. Not once since the update)

I can't comment on the LED notifications being fixed or batter life being any better. It seems screen response is better (less pressure needed and smoother scrolling)
So far I have had no issues with data interruptions as reported by other users. I have not had to cycle the radio off and on yet. I also have had to reboot only once since the update from a hang during a marketplace batch install. This is an improvement so far.

I'm a fairly heavy user with Exchange running on weekdays and regular use of GPS ( Via GoogleMaps and Bing) and Bluetooth (mainly keyboard and A2DP). I haven't seen any degrades in any of these areas.

Oh yeah, and the flash process took a minute and a half from a P4/XP-Pro machine. Did a complete wipe, as I expected.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Nexus S 4G

Merovingian is becoming a great contributor

Can anyone just post the modified Bing cab here instead of us pecking and hunting for how to modify it? Would help a lot.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

rzeppa is just getting started

Modifying the CAB file to change one word seems excessive. If you follow these steps, you can modify your own config file:

1. Locate the directory where the Bing app was installed (this depends on whether it was your storage card or internal memory )
\Program Files\Bing\

2. Locate the "Bing.config" file.

3. Open the config file (or a copy of the file if you want to be safe) in any text editor, whether on your PC, Mac, or on the phone itself. ( I copied the file to a PC and used Word Pad.

4. locate this line:
<add key="UseAppServerUpdates" value="True"/>

5. change the above line to the following:
<add key="UseAppServerUpdates" value="False"/>

(note: you changed one word from True to False)

6. Put the modified file back where you found it, with the same name as when you found it.

7. Launch Bing. Turn on GPS or do whatever you usually do to get the nag. You shouldn't get the nag anymore.

good luck. I don't think posting the modified config file is a good idea either. I don't know what device specific settings are in it, even if it's from another Intrepid.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid