PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:38 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

NorskeDivision is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Verizon

If I get a Samsung Intrepid on eBay with clean ESN, could I register it on Verizon?

I have the Touch Pro 2, but I really want a candybar style phone and the Samsung Saga's camera is too bad, battery sucks.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

raiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Verizon

It really is a gamble, some people say they have used other CDMA phones on Verizon but it is a process and not an easy one...
Old 04-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

I would guess no. People mention the open network initiative but I've never seen proof that anyone has actually done it (that said, since I switched to Sprint a year ago this hasn't really been on my radar).

I would recommend trying the Intrepid for awhile before dropping the TP2 for it. Based on personal experience I think you're going the wrong direction there. Though if you're sick of the TP2 not having a front-facing keyboard I guess that's that.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

NorskeDivision is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus View Post
I would guess no. People mention the open network initiative but I've never seen proof that anyone has actually done it (that said, since I switched to Sprint a year ago this hasn't really been on my radar).

I would recommend trying the Intrepid for awhile before dropping the TP2 for it. Based on personal experience I think you're going the wrong direction there. Though if you're sick of the TP2 not having a front-facing keyboard I guess that's that.
Yeah. I know! I thought that the TP2 would be my be all end all (except for the somewhat slow processor). But I'm constantly taking out my phone to take quick notes or do some calculations. I'm a former Palm Treo user, and until I went without it I never really realized how much I relied on the front facing keyboard.

I might go ahead and get an Intrepid on eBay, and see if I can activate it on Verizon. If not, I'll just resell it. I would love it if Samsung came out with a newer version with a 320x320 screen though, so I'm scouring for any hints of such a development. (Again, Samsung Saga would be my choice, but for the crappy camera and battery life).
Old 04-09-2010, 04:32 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

NorskeDivision is a n00b

Update:

Nope. It isn't possible. I thought Verizon had an "open network" but it really is not.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=20090

Verizon won't add the ESN. And there isn't the firmware for a Verizon version of this phone out there either, which I think I would also need. Glad I found this out before purchasing.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

Yep, that's been my experience for a long time. I've had countless people tell me it can be done, but it never passed the "pics or it didn't happen" test. The last non-VZW phone I was ever able to activate on Verizon was the SonyEricsson T608 (from Sprint), probably 10 years ago. And then they locked their network down, so once I swapped it out, I was never able to activate it again.

I actually like the TP2 keyboard much better than the Intrepid keyboard. Something about my fingers, I hate the mushy travel and hard tips of those keys. The TP2 is without a doubt the best keyboard I have ever used, even if it takes an extra step to get to it. But I can understand if you jot quick notes, it would be a pain after awhile. Good luck finding something that meets your needs. It's too bad the Saga got panned so hard. There's also the HTC Ozone for VZW, if you can deal with Smartphone Edition (no touch screen, etc.). Other than that, qwertybar smartphones that don't say "Blackberry" on them are a dying breed.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

NorskeDivision is a n00b
Re

Quote:
Yep, that's been my experience for a long time. I've had countless people tell me it can be done, but it never passed the "pics or it didn't happen" test. The last non-VZW phone I was ever able to activate on Verizon was the SonyEricsson T608 (from Sprint), probably 10 years ago. And then they locked their network down, so once I swapped it out, I was never able to activate it again.

I actually like the TP2 keyboard much better than the Intrepid keyboard. Something about my fingers, I hate the mushy travel and hard tips of those keys. The TP2 is without a doubt the best keyboard I have ever used, even if it takes an extra step to get to it. But I can understand if you jot quick notes, it would be a pain after awhile.
Yeah, I have no complaints about the TP2 keyboard, apart from the fact I need to slide it out. I spent so much time on the Treo keyboard, that I sort of got used to having closer keys. I can work with either keyboard very well.

Quote:
Good luck finding something that meets your needs. It's too bad the Saga got panned so hard. There's also the HTC Ozone for VZW, if you can deal with Smartphone Edition (no touch screen, etc.). Other than that, qwertybar smartphones that don't say "Blackberry" on them are a dying breed.
Yeah, I went and tried out the Blackberry Tour yesterday. It's a nice phone. Yet I have so much money invested in Windows Mobile software, I'm so used to its quirks. I might just break down and move over to BB, or settle for the Samsung Saga.

Palm Pixi is also intriguing, it's got a great form factor. But there's no WM version of it, and it's not international (deal killer for me as I often travel to Germany and Austria).
Old 04-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

NorskeDivision is a n00b

BAD NEWS FOR THE FUTURE
http://www.pcworld.com/article/18190...e_need_it.html

I'm disappointed to hear that Samsung is moving over to a new OS, Bada. It looks like power users like us have been forgotten by practically everyone. I HATE the iPhone, it's caused everyone to go out and try to grab its market. The only people who take power users even remotely seriously any more are Blackberry and perhaps HTC, Samsung just dropped them (look at their Bada site, it's all about twitter, multi media, gaming). Because of the f*ing iPhone, everyone is trying to go after Joe and Jane twitter user, video watcher etc. Even Blackberry seems to have put Power users as a second consideration.

I'm betting there are some designers that want to make a good power user phone, and then marketing comes in there and says "hmm... well that's nice, but lets make the keyboard look cooler, let's make interface bigger so its like the iPhone. Cuz the iPhone is such a big market."

Last edited by NorskeDivision; 04-10-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

NorskeDivision is a n00b

More bad news for Power users:

http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=15225#idc-container

Windows Mobile 7 is going to be yet another BS iPhone clone.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:07 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue

goducks is just getting started

I hear "power user" all the time in reference to WinMo, but I am a little mystified as to what that means. What, exactly, can't an Iphone do that a WinMo phone can? Documents look better on its screen than on my Intrepid. It has push email and PDA functions that integrate with Exchange servers.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid