PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: intrepid
Carrier: sprint

venaka is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
not ringing on incomming calls

I have searched this problem all over the web. Many HTC's with windows 6.1 and treo700wx's have had this same issue.
My phone will not ring for an incomming call .I will not even get a notification of a missed call on the log. I will only get notified if you leave a message on voicemail.
I called sprint and we were on the line forever, they didnt know what it was..So they sent me a new intrepid,,It worked for about a day or two..And it happened again today..Did a reset and it works again.
Another thing, If I go to update firmaware on the intrepid, i get an Error COde 4 under OMA DM CLIENT. "Firmware update could nopt be done at this time"..
I am worried that it will happen again.
Ca you guys tell me if when you go to update firmware you get an error.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:39 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Sprint

goducks is just getting started
Re: not ringing on incomming calls

Have not had a problem with the ringer, but I get the same error on looking for firmware updates. I'm assuming there simply isn't anything set up yet on the other end.

Any opinions on whether Samsung/Sprint might upgrade us to 6.5.3 at some point? I don't know Samsung's history on providing upgrades, I know HTC/Sprint will be providing upgrades to TouchPro2 users for going from 6.1 to 6.5.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: intrepid
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

venaka is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Have not had a problem with the ringer, but I get the same error on looking for firmware updates. I'm assuming there simply isn't anything set up yet on the other end.

Any opinions on whether Samsung/Sprint might upgrade us to 6.5.3 at some point? I don't know Samsung's history on providing upgrades, I know HTC/Sprint will be providing upgrades to TouchPro2 users for going from 6.1 to 6.5.
thanks..
Well , Im going to have to start trial and error.
I have spb shell, will remove and try again.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

On the no ringer issue, sounds like a software incompatibility. Something you installed (or restored from a backup) maybe? Otherwise just a WM quirk, though I haven't heard of this one in particular. Best troubleshooting is a hard reset, install nothing, don't restore a backup, and see if it continues to happen. These kinds of things aren't hardware issues - a new Intrepid is not going to fix what is obviously either a bug in Samsung's implementation of WM6.5 or something user-installed that caused the problem. Different story if the phone plays no sound at all...maybe the speaker is broken...but if it plays sounds other than a ringer, a new phone is only going to "fix" the problem until the user reinstalls the same software or the bug resurfaces.

No firmware updates exist, that's why you're getting the "error". It simply means there are no updates available, and it's nothing to worry about.

Opinions on Samsung ever doing anything to update the Intrepid? Sure: Nope. Granted that's just an opinion, and I'll spare you my detailed reasoning, but I would not expect anything from Samsung at this point. They (and the other mfrs) are in the business of selling you new devices, not providing free upgrades to old ones so that you can save your money. HTC planned to offer the WM6.5 upgrade from 6.1 from the moment the TP2 was released. That expectation was placed up front. I think the plan there was not to allow Sprint's flagship WM phone to be running 6.1 for any longer than it had to, hence the planned upgrade. I haven't followed the TP2, so I don't know if they're upgrading those devices yet; my guess is that it is or will be an older build of WM than most of the community ROM chefs are working with. Probably newer than the Intrepid's build, but not as good as what you can get here and on xda.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:31 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

jpruett79 is a n00b

About the ringer. This is just a shot in the dark but what are you using as a ringtone. I have noticed that if i set my ringtone to an mp3 file i will work for a couple days and suddenly just stop working. I have changed my ringer to a .WMA file and not had any problems since.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

Good suggestion. Does it also matter if the ringer is on the SD card? In the old days things on the card that were required during suspend mode (or immediately thereafter) were often the cause of problems. FWIW, I never install *anything* to the card - it's just not necessary with the amount of program memory available on modern devices.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:00 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

jpruett79 is a n00b
Thumbs down Re: not ringing on incomming calls

I have not tried using the storage card with ringtones so i don't know. I used to keep them on my storage card when i had my mogul but then every time i took the card out i would have to reapply ringtones or it wouldn't ring.

I dont install anything to the card either. I used install some of my common programs on it in an effort to simplify hard resets. After i discovered sprite backup that was no longer necessary. No i just use the storage card for data.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid