PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bluetooth turning off by itself [SOLVED w/hack]

So I have this issue of bluetooth turning off by itself on my Intrepid, which is very frustrating. I've made a modification to my backlight-fix mortscript which adds a check of the BT radio and if it's off, turns it back on automatically. This is a work-in-progress and there are some issues (most notably the total inability to turn BT off, so if you fly commercial airlines a lot this may be a problem). But if anyone experiences this issue and wants to alpha test the modified mortscript, let me know and I'll post it. I'm going to run it myself for a few days and see what happens.

See post #6 for the updated script.

Edit:

I'm not the first person to have this problem. Apparently the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 had the same issue with their first ROM, and though it was fixed in a later ROM update (because unlike Samsung, Sony Ericsson actually cares about their customers) there were successful efforts to solve this. I was on the same track as a user over at xda-developers, and the reality is that you can't just turn the BT radio back on with regedits. You can make it look like the radio is on, but it doesn't actually turn the radio back on. So you need an external program, in this case we'll use vjvolubilis available from here:

http://www.vijay555.com/vj/releases/...jvolubilis.cab

Vijay's work is well known in WM circles. Here's the main page for the program:

http://www.vijay555.com/index.php?Releases:VJVolubilis

Version 0.4 of the backlight fix now watches the BT status and uses Vijay's program to kick start the bluetooth radio if it's off.

As noted above...RUNNING THIS WILL MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO TURN OFF BLUETOOTH until you stop this script (if you put it in \Windows\Startup, this will involve removing the script from that folder and soft resetting your Intrepid). I'm not going to bother making this more flexible until I'm convinced it actually works, so consider this an alpha release and use at your own risk, etc.

I want to send thanks over to scar45 over at xda-developers who (according to this thread) came to the same realization that I did that it takes more than a regedit to fix the BT radio problem.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=448703

Last edited by haus; 01-18-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:40 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

raiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on repraiderfan247365 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Bluetooth turning off by itself

ya my bluetooth has cut off randomly too, sucks sometimes
Old 01-17-2010, 01:55 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

edited post 1 with a preliminary version of the script plus some comments...I'm really hoping to solve this as it is probably the #1 "fixable" issue I have with the Intrepid (aside from the message light disappearing).
Old 01-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Drat - version 0.3 didn't work. My BT icon was still there this morning but in the control panel the box for "ON" was unchecked and my watch couldn't connect. Will keep trying.

Edit: Version 0.4 does work, completely changed the way it handles BT OFF.

Last edited by haus; 01-17-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid

splautz is a n00b
Re: Bluetooth turning off by itself [SOLVED w/hack]

My bluetooth cuts off sometimes too but I haven't been able to rule out that the cause is just because of a weak battery. It seems whenever the phone gets below a certain battery percentage, one of the power saving features of winmo 6.5 is to cut off bluetooth. Why it doesn't come back on when power is restored or this isn't configurable in some way is the true problem.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Re: Bluetooth turning off by itself [SOLVED w/hack]

The battery will certainly do it as a power saving measure, but my battery is never below 80%. Since it happens overnight most frequently for me (the only time I charge my phone), maybe it has something to do with the charging circuit. Either way, I've been having tremendous success with BT on my Intrepid since applying my hack. In fact here's an updated version with proper version numbers and I've updated the timers to 40 seconds because 30 seconds has been a bit too quick for me for screen dimming.
Attached Files
File Type: mscr Intrepid_Fixes_0.4.mscr (2.2 KB, 26 views) Click for barcode!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid