PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid
Carrier: Sprint

splautz is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help..I removed my Widgets!

I accidentally removed a program and finally concluded it was the "Widgets" application. I see no way of reinstalling it.. is it even worth reinstalling or having to do a hard reset to get back? Could someone run theirs and tell me what it does? If all it does is open the browser to an information page somewhere, then it would be a good riddance. Otherwise I might want it back. Speaking of this, is there any way to backup Windows Mobile and all its installed apps? I know how to save contacts, texts, tasks and all that.. I just don't want to have to reinstall all my apps again should I have to do a hard reset. Any suggestions on a true and total backup program? What about virus scanners or firewalls? I mean, this is Windows afterall. lol
Old 01-21-2010, 04:04 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

erickbryce is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to erickbryce
Re: Help..I removed my Widgets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by splautz View Post
I accidentally removed a program and finally concluded it was the "Widgets" application. I see no way of reinstalling it.. is it even worth reinstalling or having to do a hard reset to get back? Could someone run theirs and tell me what it does? If all it does is open the browser to an information page somewhere, then it would be a good riddance. Otherwise I might want it back. Speaking of this, is there any way to backup Windows Mobile and all its installed apps? I know how to save contacts, texts, tasks and all that.. I just don't want to have to reinstall all my apps again should I have to do a hard reset. Any suggestions on a true and total backup program? What about virus scanners or firewalls? I mean, this is Windows afterall. lol

All the original Widgets are in the Windows folder level of your device, just click on them they should reinstall all though one by one. If you deleted the folder widgets at the Program Files level / inside the Programs Folder then anyone with an Intrepid can just copy zip up and post that folder. Then just unzip it and copy it to the Programs Folder. If you deleted it under the Windows\Start Menu\Programs then you just deleted shortcuts to the files which are in your Windows Folder level.

IMHO, Sprite makes a great WM backup program, but SPB's is pretty good too.

In terms of viruses, not what you might think for the mobile space. Yes in the near future, we will ALL have to be worried, but today, not so. Unless you have, well I won’t name the 3 OS's that have been highly targeted. It's kind of ironic, MS doesn’t have the market penetration that other device OS's have like they do in the desktop space, so,... in a reversal of fortunes, like all good criminals, if you’re going to risk getting caught make your VMR (virus malware rootkit) for the most popular and used devices. So just like MS is the number one target in the computer space for VMR, ironically the other guys who have been claiming their products don’t get viruses are experiencing this on the mobile side all of the sudden. See it never pays off to sling p##p you eventually end up looking like, well, the animals that do that.

As for security, WM is certified at a higher level than other mobile device platforms, even higher than a certain desktop OS of popularity, yup your dinky cell phone might just be more secure than a popular desktop OS.

I do have to give MS credit though, for the longest time they never slandered back against Apple for all their ads slamming Windows. It's too bad they didn’t let that "those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones" just live itself in to significance, verses stooping to that level with the lame cheesy, I'm a PC counter. Did a multi billion dollar company pay thousands of dollars for a, "Well I know you are, but what am I" campaign, good God... When Teenagers Attack, news at 11....

Last edited by erickbryce; 01-21-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid