PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid
Carrier: Sprint

Matt2214 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Would you buy this phone again?

This is my first smart phone, though not my first PDA. I have had it for almost a month and am still a huge fan. Battery life is better than my previous cell phones, reception, call quality, ease of use, customizable, all are huge plusses. Being able to sync work and personal e-mails with the calendar, tasks, and contacts is great. I don't have near the quirky problems my friends have with their various smart phones. As a matter of fact I've only needed to re-boot it a couple of times since I've had it. My only complaints so far - Not being able to lock it (with password) with a single button press, and the camera takes too long to auto-focus.

If I had found this forum first, I probably wouldn't have bought the Intrepid though - The littany of quirks, problems, and glitches would have scared me off.

Am I just having an above average experience so far or is this an above average smart phone?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond

SComp23 is keeping up the good workSComp23 is keeping up the good work
Re: Would you buy this phone again?

I love this phone, there actually isn't another one that is out right now that I would enjoy more.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 3D
Carrier: sprint

1sae is keeping up the good work1sae is keeping up the good work

Considering that I did not want to change from my legacy SERO plan, WinMo phones are the only smart phones that I could get. It's the only one, along with the TP2, I think are any good. It does not work great out of the box IMO, but once customized it's pretty good. The bugs (oh so many bugs), are extremely frustrating tho!

I would not recommend this phone if you're a heavy texter of if you don't like tweaking the phone. Great phone if you don't mind hacking it a bit and you're not too upset at the random glitch.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Intrepid

jp0213x is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2214 View Post
This is my first smart phone, though not my first PDA. I have had it for almost a month and am still a huge fan. Battery life is better than my previous cell phones, reception, call quality, ease of use, customizable, all are huge plusses. Being able to sync work and personal e-mails with the calendar, tasks, and contacts is great. I don't have near the quirky problems my friends have with their various smart phones. As a matter of fact I've only needed to re-boot it a couple of times since I've had it. My only complaints so far - Not being able to lock it (with password) with a single button press, and the camera takes too long to auto-focus.

If I had found this forum first, I probably wouldn't have bought the Intrepid though - The littany of quirks, problems, and glitches would have scared me off.

Am I just having an above average experience so far or is this an above average smart phone?
I would purchase this phone again, this is my first PDA as well. I like this phone a lot but to really enjoy this phone you have you have to tweak and get all the kinks out. Just take a look at the tips and tricks forum from haus. This is a good way to get the phone up and rolling. I also recommend using SPB mobile shell software with the intrepid, it really makes the phone more enjoyable.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sae View Post

I would not recommend this phone if you're a heavy texter of if you don't like tweaking the phone. Great phone if you don't mind hacking it a bit and you're not too upset at the random glitch.
I text all the time and never have any problems. Just turn off Word Suggestion and delete your text messages every once in a while, no problems.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Intrepid

jp0213x is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SComp23 View Post
I text all the time and never have any problems. Just turn off Word Suggestion and delete your text messages every once in a while, no problems.
I agree.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid

ndorf is a n00b

Yes, I would. It is a big step forward from my Motorola Q (original Q not Q9c) in features and performance. I like the keyboard, the screen form factor is fine (although the touch sensitivity is quirky). I absolutely loathe the WM 6.5 home screen and general UI but I did my research before pulling the trigger and after reading about SPB Mobile Shell 3.5, I bought the Intrepid with the intent of immediately loading and using Shell as my new interface. It totally changes for the better the personality of the phone.

All in all I would not recommend the Intrepid for smartphone newbies or people that are not willing to invest in a long learning curve. But for those who are willing to put in the time, it is fabulous.

My criteria was:

Carry over my legacy phone / data / PAM plan (which limited my choices to BB, HTC snap, or Palm Treo Pro

Slim, not chunky form factor. That's what I loved about the Q. No case needed. I wore it 'bare' in my shirt pocket.

Good battery life to get me through a very long work day (Intrepid shines here)

WiFi is a nice-to-have

Thumbboard is usable.

Had to stay with Sprint due to corporate reasons

So, HTC Snap was the most like the Q but unlike other HTC phones it felt too 'plasticky' The fact that it did not have a touch screen in and of itself was not a showstopper. Palm Treo Pro, I hated the keyboard. The overall form factor was not appealing and the screen was washed out. I also heard that the battery life was not so good.

Parting shot: I might have considered an HTC Hero; i was willing to give Android and soft keyboard a go, but could not carry over my PAM feature.

Case closed, got the Intrepid, no looking back, no regrets at all.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G/U301 USB Card

gprimr1 is becoming a great contributor

If/when custom roms come out for this phone, I think it will be one of the best phones available.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprimr1 View Post
If/when custom roms come out for this phone, I think it will be one of the best phones available.
I gotta say, I used well over 5 or 6 custom ROMS for my Diamond, and none were as stable as the Stock ROM. SPB Mobile Shell is the best platform for this phone IMO.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G/U301 USB Card

gprimr1 is becoming a great contributor

I think a big portion of people's issues are related to the Samsung Messaging program. Unfortunately, it cannot be removed w/o doing a custom rom.

Also, other programs won't co-exist with it.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid