PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 05:17 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S+
Carrier: Cosmote - Romania

lexz is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i9001 problem

Hello. Yesterday I decided to upgrade my i9001 to 2.3.6, from my carrier it came with 2.3.3 ... and the battery ... damn, the battery would let me play a few hours/day (let's say 1-2 / depends what game, Six Guns 30-1h then battery is empty) and 2 hours of music which is really dissapointing compared to my old Galaxy Mini ...

So ... what went wrong ? Well, not much, I've got some "ROMs" from XDA but, but ... they're modified ... they are not clean, they have aditional programs and such things which I don't really want. I've searched for a clean ICS but ... nothing.

So, what I need right now:
- What is a "ROM" ?
- Can I find a clean version (to install on my phone) of 2.3.5 / 2.3.6 ?
- Can I find a clean version of ICS for my phone ?

And also, I've got a file "I9001XXKPU_I9001XXKPH_I9001DBTKP1_HOME.tar.md 5", this is for Odin ?

I hope I've posted in the right category. Please excuse my bad english.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:28 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: i9001 problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexz View Post
Hello. Yesterday I decided to upgrade my i9001 to 2.3.6, from my carrier it came with 2.3.3 ... and the battery ... damn, the battery would let me play a few hours/day (let's say 1-2 / depends what game, Six Guns 30-1h then battery is empty) and 2 hours of music which is really dissapointing compared to my old Galaxy Mini ...
ever consider after market batteries? you can get 2 of them for like 8$

Quote:
- What is a "ROM" ?
A rom is the name for a packaged OS. ROM can also means flash memory left on your device.

Quote:
- Can I find a clean version (to install on my phone) of 2.3.5 / 2.3.6 ?
Define clean version? if you want ASOP then CM7 (cyanogenmod) is what you want, if you want stock there are plenty of roms to chose from, or you can just manually delete the apps if you are rooted.

Quote:
- Can I find a clean version of ICS for my phone ?
ASOP would be CM9

Quote:
And also, I've got a file "I9001XXKPU_I9001XXKPH_I9001DBTKP1_HOME.tar.md5", this is for Odin ?
Yes, that is an odin file. if it ends with .tar or .md5 its an odin file, if it ends with .zip its a clockwork file.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

lexz is a n00b

Thank you for the answers. With "clean version" I wanted to say something like Windows XP, they can be untouched or with plenty of useless stuff like registry cleaners and etc.

About battery, I did the same thing with my Galaxy Mini, upgraded the version of Android and the battery lasted longer. I thinked it will do the same for S+.

So, what I am looking for ... I'm searching a clean Android 2.3.6 / ICS without booting image or programs or etc ... just the things that came with the Android ... but I don't know where to search this (exactly) ... for what should I look when I'm searching this.

Right now ... well, I'm sory I did what I did, right now, the phone moves even slower, the battery is the same (I'll buy a new one ASAP). So, I'll fix the battery issue but the problem remains with the soft. What can I do about the soft ? I'm fine with my 2.3.3 ... just to be clean (no more styles like Holo Launcher, GO Launcher etc).
Old 06-12-2012, 10:08 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Well out of box the phone most likely came with TouchWiz launcher and framework. So as I said if you want completely clean that is called ASOP. Which is pure android without anything extra.

You can get CyanogenMod here which is ASOP:

Galaxy S Plus I9001 - CyanogenMod 7.1 and 9.0 [Porting state] update 08/06/2012 - xda-developers

CM7 is 2.3.7
CM9 is 4.0.4

READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

lexz is a n00b

Yes, it came out with TouchWiz (which is not so cool ... but still works a little better than aps like go launcher/holo etc).

The CM7 is 2.3.7 looks really intresting, but I can't really find the install instructions. I mean, I need them a little more clear, download that, here's what you need, put this there and so on. I can skip the backup part becouse I don't have what to backup.

Thank you so much for answering all my questions.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:07 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Here is the download:

[Development] AOSP & cm7-Fixed 2.1 - xda-developers

(you also would want to grab the gapps)

There is also a noob guide here you can go stepe by step by clicking "show content"

[9001][GUIDE][NOOBFRIENDLY]Starter-Guide[12 MAY 2012][STATUS AND CM9 UPDATE!!!] - xda-developers

To get you started you effectively need clockworkmod recovery to flash the custom roms.

There is also a wiki:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki..._Plus/GT-I9001

Last edited by gTen; 06-12-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

lexz is a n00b

@ To get you started you effectively need clockworkmod recovery to flash the custom roms.

A friend of mine, with S+ buyed from another carrier (Vodafone Android 2.3.5) used this clockworkmod and now it's blocked in bootloop (something like that).

When I'll come back from school, I'll check every step, thank you.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:02 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexz View Post
@ To get you started you effectively need clockworkmod recovery to flash the custom roms.

A friend of mine, with S+ buyed from another carrier (Vodafone Android 2.3.5) used this clockworkmod and now it's blocked in bootloop (something like that).

When I'll come back from school, I'll check every step, thank you.
That can happen in some cases, if that happens all you gotta do is either clockwork another rom or odin.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S Plus
Carrier: Vodafone

F4LSilver is a n00b

Hi, I'm his friend who remained in a boot loop..
So, here is my problem: I installed CWM v5.5.0.4, after that I installed a custom ROM(Cybernation or something like that), I restarted phone and it remains in boot loop.
I tried next things:
-installed signed_deletemmcb1k014-reboot.zip
-exit_recovery(something like that)
-9001_stock_recovery_singed.zip(wich lead me to stock recovery but still I got the boot loop)
-odin(http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1330)
No one of them worked.

I tried with Odin(how it says on xda-forums) but I got a big problem, my windows or my phone don't recognize the USB cabble(or reading) when it connects to the PC.I can only work with my exteral sd-card.

Sorry for my bad english.

Last edited by F4LSilver; 06-13-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:53 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4LSilver View Post
Hi, I'm his friend who remained in a boot loop..
So, here is my problem: I installed CWM v5.5.0.4, after that I installed a custom ROM(Cybernation or something like that), I restarted phone and it remains in boot loop.
I tried next things:
-installed signed_deletemmcb1k014-reboot.zip
-exit_recovery(something like that)
-9001_stock_recovery_singed.zip(wich lead me to stock recovery but still I got the boot loop)
-odin(xda-developers - View Single Post - [Development] CyanogenMod porting)
No one of them worked.

I tried with Odin(how it says on xda-forums) but I got a big problem, my windows or my phone don't recognize the USB cabble(or reading) when it connects to the PC.I can only work with my exteral sd-card.

Sorry for my bad english.

Yeah flashing stock recovery after you boot loop was not a smart idea. The best method at this point is odin but you can flash a stock rom via stock recovery as well.

As for operating odin, did you install the samsung drivers on your pc and then boot into download mode?

full instructions for odin are available here:

[GUIDE] [Flashing ROMs] Step-by-step - xda-developers

(I am assuming you have windows)

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series