PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Galaxy Series (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Galaxy S 2!!! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=140881)

gTen 02-13-2011 07:44 PM

Galaxy S 2!!!

Now I know you all probably seen the articles out there but just wanted to single out all the "interesting" stuff..

1ghz Dual Core Exynox(Orion) processor

There are 2 versions of this processor...a 45nm version and a 32nm(Hercules) version..since Samsung is not advertising that its 32nm or 45nm (Tegra 2 is 40nm)..I am assuming its the 45nm version

I also found it weird that there will be a none dual core version in some countries :/..but US will prob have dual core where it comes here..

Super AMOLED Plus

Its a 4.27" screen to be exact..no more Pen-Tile aka no more jaggedness..its also 18% more efficient over regular Super AMOLED (there is no white subpixel so white would still consume extra energy over other colors)..I have seen it in person and its definitely brighter! and does better in sunlight..could not find the exact numbers for those sorry :/

MALI 400 GPU

Quad GPU and has 3200M pix/s. is what they are advertising..its an ARM Mali-400 MP I think, the official GPU of ARM..now here is the deal..ARM is advertising a 4 core to be at ~1100M pix/s..which would mean they must have added something...

ARM advertises 30M triangles/s on a single core..based on numbers I would estimate 120M triangles/s on a 4 core..and if customizations really make it almost 3x faster..like the pixel fill rate..it may mean performance up to 350M triangles/sec..these are all "guesses" based on info available...

1650mah Battery

which is a step up I guess...

Quad Band 3g and HSPA+

Yup, you can run the international 3g version on AT&T and most carriers in Canada!!! and have HSPA+ aka 4g!!!

HSPA+ 21Mbps/ HSUPA 5.76Mbps
EDGE/ GPRS Class 12
Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900
Quad band UMTS 850/900/1900/2100

16GB and 32GB versions?

it looks like it will come with 16gb and 32gb versions! I am guessing its using the new MoviNAND chips that are 20nm...(over the 30nm)..will have to find a source to confirm this but Samsung claimed to start using them 2010Q4..so no reason they aren't being used here..

Other cool stuff

2MP front camera which I think is overkill for a phone but can't hurt if there is an option for lowering it to save bandwidth...

They teamed up with Cisco to offer better Enterprise support!

USB 2.0 OTG - That means built in USB Host support!

Thinest handset yet! 125.3X66.1X8.49mm

For more info go here:

Samsung GALAXY S II

shane6374 02-13-2011 07:54 PM

Re: Galaxy S 2!!!

And it come fully loaded with Froyo, but Samsung promises to have Gingerbread within 2 months of launch.

(Just waiting to read that somewhere)

boredandtattooed 02-13-2011 07:58 PM

its got BT 3.0 as well... hopefully people will finally have a phone with great working BT

gTen 02-13-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shane6374 (Post 2055673)
And it come fully loaded with Froyo, but Samsung promises to have Gingerbread within 2 months of launch.

(Just waiting to read that somewhere)

It actually comes with Gingerbread lol..but bright side for those on AT&T or in canada is they can use the international version and get updates faster...aka the original SGS had Froyo for months already..

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 2055676)
its got BT 3.0 as well... hopefully people will finally have a phone with great working BT

original had that too..just got cut out of the CDMA models due to them using a Qualcomm chipset..

boredandtattooed 02-13-2011 08:23 PM

gotcha..

i was just reading PhoneScoop.coms hands on review.... said its the thinnest lightest device imaginable.. dunno if the specs reflect that or not, or if it was just their "feeling" on the matter

revaaron 02-16-2011 11:59 AM

Put froyo and then gingerbread on my epic 4g.

ppcgpirate 02-18-2011 11:11 AM

here's a preliminary performance benchmark on the Mali 400 GPU. it's better than the SGX540 that was in the galaxy s series but it doesn't dominate over the Tegra 2.

Samsung's Galaxy S II Preliminary Performance: Mali-400MP Benchmarked - AnandTech

testbot 02-27-2011 10:30 AM

I just dropped Verizon so I could get the Galaxy S G4 and then I read this. Man I hate that so much. lol

Does anyone know when the projected release date is? I still have to move my wifes phone over so maybe I can give her this one and get the SII for myself. hahah

gTen 02-27-2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by testbot (Post 2062131)
I just dropped Verizon so I could get the Galaxy S G4 and then I read this. Man I hate that so much. lol

Does anyone know when the projected release date is? I still have to move my wifes phone over so maybe I can give her this one and get the SII for myself. hahah

Depends if you care which network..on ATT you can actually use the international version that places already have for pre-order...the US variants probably going to do cosmetic designs and their own bloat and etc so it'll come out sometime in summer....

testbot 02-28-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2062376)
Depends if you care which network..on ATT you can actually use the international version that places already have for pre-order...the US variants probably going to do cosmetic designs and their own bloat and etc so it'll come out sometime in summer....

That makes me feel a little better actually. I'm excited for S2 but it's so upsetting when a new one gets released only days after you got yours.

I wen't on Samsung's facebook and they said they'll be releasing it second quarter now. That means April - June. Not sure how that affects T-Mobile or Verizon's release dates.

Anon9mouz 05-10-2011 05:48 AM

Will sprint get this?

Sent from my SPH-D700-EPIC-using Tapatalk

UpsidedownB 05-12-2011 03:30 PM

Really hope if Verizon get's a version of it that it's not too dumb down! And wish there was a better road map for it showing release dates per carrier ! Beyond this I am going to have to wait for this phone !

gTen 05-12-2011 05:54 PM

we don't know yet..but samsung is usually good at getting their phones on multiple carriers...its just a matter of when..

Scoob 05-19-2011 12:12 AM

Dont throw any rotten tomatos, but while this phone looks awesome, I'm hoping to get a keyboarded version like my Epic...

boe 05-24-2011 10:10 AM

I would probably say this is my favorite smartphone hardware to date. I need a new phone immediately though so unless Sprint or Verizon offer the Galaxy S II very very soon, it looks like I'll be going with the EVO 3D.

Karl 05-24-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2055668)
Now I know you all probably seen the articles out there but just wanted to single out all the "interesting" stuff..

1ghz Dual Core Exynox(Orion) processor

There are 2 versions of this processor...a 45nm version and a 32nm(Hercules) version..since Samsung is not advertising that its 32nm or 45nm (Tegra 2 is 40nm)..I am assuming its the 45nm version

I also found it weird that there will be a none dual core version in some countries :/..but US will prob have dual core where it comes here..

Super AMOLED Plus

Its a 4.27" screen to be exact..no more Pen-Tile aka no more jaggedness..its also 18% more efficient over regular Super AMOLED (there is no white subpixel so white would still consume extra energy over other colors)..I have seen it in person and its definitely brighter! and does better in sunlight..could not find the exact numbers for those sorry :/

MALI 400 GPU

Quad GPU and has 3200M pix/s. is what they are advertising..its an ARM Mali-400 MP I think, the official GPU of ARM..now here is the deal..ARM is advertising a 4 core to be at ~1100M pix/s..which would mean they must have added something...

ARM advertises 30M triangles/s on a single core..based on numbers I would estimate 120M triangles/s on a 4 core..and if customizations really make it almost 3x faster..like the pixel fill rate..it may mean performance up to 350M triangles/sec..these are all "guesses" based on info available...

1650mah Battery

which is a step up I guess...

Quad Band 3g and HSPA+

Yup, you can run the international 3g version on AT&T and most carriers in Canada!!! and have HSPA+ aka 4g!!!

HSPA+ 21Mbps/ HSUPA 5.76Mbps
EDGE/ GPRS Class 12
Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900
Quad band UMTS 850/900/1900/2100

16GB and 32GB versions?

it looks like it will come with 16gb and 32gb versions! I am guessing its using the new MoviNAND chips that are 20nm...(over the 30nm)..will have to find a source to confirm this but Samsung claimed to start using them 2010Q4..so no reason they aren't being used here..

Other cool stuff

2MP front camera which I think is overkill for a phone but can't hurt if there is an option for lowering it to save bandwidth...

They teamed up with Cisco to offer better Enterprise support!

USB 2.0 OTG - That means built in USB Host support!

Thinest handset yet! 125.3X66.1X8.49mm

For more info go here:

Samsung GALAXY S II

So it has 16/32gb internal and up to 32 gb SD card?

Sent From My Rooted Evo Using Tapatalk

masetas 05-24-2011 08:37 PM

any info yet on a release date for Sprint ?

info[]box1 05-24-2011 10:27 PM

Wirelessly posted (Htc Arrive: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; Nexus S 4G Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Don't yet. That's the question of the year.

gTen 05-25-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlE (Post 2106185)
So it has 16/32gb internal and up to 32 gb SD card?

yes...so if you get a 32gb version + 32gb sd card = 64gb total..

Quote:

Originally Posted by masetas (Post 2106227)
any info yet on a release date for Sprint ?

nope..there is no info on the Samsung Within yet...:/..if we knew thigns like this ,maybe sprint wouldn't be going out of business..if I were to guess they are gonan release it at same time they released Epic so that Evo3d can hog some sales...sigh...

boe 05-25-2011 03:35 PM

Hello,

Does anyone know if this device will be locked down? I was all set to preorder an EVO 3D this week but just found out it will be locked down.

Thanks

gTen 05-25-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boe (Post 2106656)
Hello,

Does anyone know if this device will be locked down? I was all set to preorder an EVO 3D this week but just found out it will be locked down.

Thanks

Samsung is not locking down devices..so unless sprint particularly asks for it (which I doubt) it won't be...

Karl 05-25-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2106714)
Samsung is not locking down devices..so unless sprint particularly asks for it (which I doubt) it won't be...

Good to know

boe 05-26-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2106714)

Thanks. Do you really think HTC locked down the 3D on their own - seems more like something the carrier would have them do. I would have to imagine HTC would know it would lose popularity and sales by locking it down so the decision would have to come from an idiot. I could be wrong but I would have to believe that sort of thinking would have to come from Sprint.

I guess we'll know more when ATT Sprint and Verizon have the Galaxy SII.

gTen 05-26-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boe (Post 2107319)
Thanks. Do you really think HTC locked down the 3D on their own - seems more like something the carrier would have them do. I would have to imagine HTC would know it would lose popularity and sales by locking it down so the decision would have to come from an idiot. I could be wrong but I would have to believe that sort of thinking would have to come from Sprint.

I guess we'll know more when ATT Sprint and Verizon have the Galaxy SII.

Sprint on FB said that it was HTC's decision to lock down the phones...And the Incredible S which is international and not bound to any carrier was locked...HTC has been one upping their locks every release..

IF I were to guess HTC is making a gamble..they are sacrificing the developing community to try to get more friendly with content holders...In the end HTC has no chance against Samsung or LG..simply because those companies produce their own components..so if both companies were to build the same phone Samsung/LG would either be cheaper, or makes them more profit.

In that kind of market HTC would make very little profit (similar to the PC market)..so they are trying to probably distinguish themselves.

mlin 05-26-2011 11:19 PM

No more locked bootloaders for HTC!!!

Tapa tapa tapa

boe 05-27-2011 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2107377)
Sprint on FB said that it was HTC's decision to lock down the phones...And the Incredible S which is international and not bound to any carrier was locked...HTC has been one upping their locks every release..

IF I were to guess HTC is making a gamble..they are sacrificing the developing community to try to get more friendly with content holders...In the end HTC has no chance against Samsung or LG..simply because those companies produce their own components..so if both companies were to build the same phone Samsung/LG would either be cheaper, or makes them more profit.

In that kind of market HTC would make very little profit (similar to the PC market)..so they are trying to probably distinguish themselves.

Thanks for the info!

boe 05-27-2011 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlin (Post 2107395)
No more locked bootloaders for HTC!!!

Tapa tapa tapa

Yeah unfortunately I haven't seen anything definitive on them reversing their decision on the 3D but it is certainly good news for future HTC devices.

Karl 05-27-2011 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boe (Post 2107422)
Yeah unfortunately I haven't seen anything definitive on them reversing their decision on the 3D but it is certainly good news for future HTC devices.

Someone posted a e-mail from the CEO saying it does cover the Evo 3D

boe 06-12-2011 12:16 PM

I'd like to know if the Verizon version will have LTE.

gTen 06-12-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlE (Post 2107471)
Someone posted a e-mail from the CEO saying it does cover the Evo 3D

From what people are saying the Evo3d will be unlocked at a later time, but initially it will be locked as there is not enough time to unlock them before release...they have not committed on a date yet though..

Quote:

Originally Posted by boe (Post 2114651)
I'd like to know if the Verizon version will have LTE.

Considering the Droid charge had LTE, I don't see why the SGS2 one won't..

eagle2222222222 06-15-2011 09:18 PM

Does anyone kow if the Sprint version will be 4g? Have seen a yes and a no. Leaning towards the S2 if it's 4g, Evo 3d if not.

gTen 06-15-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle2222222222 (Post 2115711)
Does anyone kow if the Sprint version will be 4g? Have seen a yes and a no. Leaning towards the S2 if it's 4g, Evo 3d if not.

Well lets take an educated guess...

1) Epic was 4G and made by samsung

2) Samsung is building out and managing half of the 4G towers

3) All new top end phones have 4G..even that motorola one..

I think its safe to say yes it will have 4G...

jimmiekain 07-03-2011 02:34 AM

@Anon9mouz Rumor is that Sprint will be getting it and calling the Samsung Galaxy S Within... rumored release date is last week of July or Early August (they say 3rd quarter of 2011)

@Scoob from what I understand, sprint is getting a Epic 2... so I doubt they will put a slide out kb on GS2 aka sprint within. I for one would like to see it look exactly like the one that came out in europe (maybe with the addition of a search button)

I am really excited about this phone. I have an evo right now and have been just a little jealous of my girlfriends epic. Her camera is better than mine, her screen is brighter and has better color... she seems to have less issues with it than I have with my evo. Two nights ago, I called sprint and had them send me a return envelope so I could return my evo3d and had them turn my evo4g back on. The evo3d was nice but there were just too many things i didnt like about. Now the waiting game is back on waiting for this bad boy to come out!

@gTen when you saw the GS2 in person did you actually mess with it or just see it? I ask because I have questions that for some reason no body ever covers in their youtube reviews.

Questions like... is the speakerphone loud and clear? Are the buttons on the bottom nice and sensitive or do they not work half the time like on the epic. Does the camera take a picture right away or does it take a few seconds to actually snap? Does the front facing camera allow video like the evo or not because the epic does not and thats not cool.

mike99 07-03-2011 10:32 AM

I also wonder what Sammy is going to pack into the rumored GSII plus??? Just overclocked CPU? What else?? Bigger screen? More memory?? Any more details available?

Pandaman 07-11-2011 04:15 PM

Since Apple is in the process of suing Samsung for their Galaxy series of phones and tablets, maybe Sprint is waiting for some sort of outcome or settlement before it commits to the GS2? If so we may be in for a long wait :-(

LuckyLui 07-11-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandaman (Post 2126763)
Since Apple is in the process of suing Samsung for their Galaxy series of phones and tablets, maybe Sprint is waiting for some sort of outcome or settlement before it commits to the GS2? If so we may be in for a long wait :-(

Y they being sued?

NS4G°

Pandaman 07-11-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLui (Post 2126767)
Y they being sued?

NS4G°

Apple claims the Galaxy tab infringes on iPad patents, and that the Galaxy S phone looks and feels a little too similar to the iPhone. The lawsuit was filed April 15, 2011. Samsung counter-sued Apple on April 21 citing five patent infringements. The judge wants both of them to settle out of court.

Apple Sues Samsung in South Korea Over Patent Infringement

gTen 07-11-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandaman (Post 2126763)

They are not going to wait on a lawsuit..these things drag on for years...everyone sues everyone its nothing new..in worst case it ends up being a cross licensing deal or money going one way or the other..but the product is still going to be there..

As proof it is not the motivating factor, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 came to sprint just recently...and its part of the lawsuit..

The rumor is that it conflicts with the Motorola release somehow..but thats just a rumor...

jimmiekain 07-15-2011 12:14 AM

Anyone else feel like Sprint will pass on the galaxy s II for the nexus 3? I don't mind but the anticipation is killing me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

gTen 07-15-2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmiekain (Post 2128189)
Anyone else feel like Sprint will pass on the galaxy s II for the nexus 3? I don't mind but the anticipation is killing me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Judging they came up with a name for it..I doubt they are gonna pass it...neither do I see a conflict with Nexus 3.nothing is preventing them from releasing both, and I kinda doubt Nexus 3 will be on a cdma carrier this year...cdma is always last to get stuff...