PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 07:44 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Galaxy S 2!!!

Now I know you all probably seen the articles out there but just wanted to single out all the "interesting" stuff..

1ghz Dual Core Exynox(Orion) processor

There are 2 versions of this processor...a 45nm version and a 32nm(Hercules) version..since Samsung is not advertising that its 32nm or 45nm (Tegra 2 is 40nm)..I am assuming its the 45nm version

I also found it weird that there will be a none dual core version in some countries :/..but US will prob have dual core where it comes here..

Super AMOLED Plus

Its a 4.27" screen to be exact..no more Pen-Tile aka no more jaggedness..its also 18% more efficient over regular Super AMOLED (there is no white subpixel so white would still consume extra energy over other colors)..I have seen it in person and its definitely brighter! and does better in sunlight..could not find the exact numbers for those sorry :/

MALI 400 GPU

Quad GPU and has 3200M pix/s. is what they are advertising..its an ARM Mali-400 MP I think, the official GPU of ARM..now here is the deal..ARM is advertising a 4 core to be at ~1100M pix/s..which would mean they must have added something...

ARM advertises 30M triangles/s on a single core..based on numbers I would estimate 120M triangles/s on a 4 core..and if customizations really make it almost 3x faster..like the pixel fill rate..it may mean performance up to 350M triangles/sec..these are all "guesses" based on info available...

1650mah Battery

which is a step up I guess...

Quad Band 3g and HSPA+

Yup, you can run the international 3g version on AT&T and most carriers in Canada!!! and have HSPA+ aka 4g!!!

HSPA+ 21Mbps/ HSUPA 5.76Mbps
EDGE/ GPRS Class 12
Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900
Quad band UMTS 850/900/1900/2100

16GB and 32GB versions?

it looks like it will come with 16gb and 32gb versions! I am guessing its using the new MoviNAND chips that are 20nm...(over the 30nm)..will have to find a source to confirm this but Samsung claimed to start using them 2010Q4..so no reason they aren't being used here..

Other cool stuff

2MP front camera which I think is overkill for a phone but can't hurt if there is an option for lowering it to save bandwidth...

They teamed up with Cisco to offer better Enterprise support!

USB 2.0 OTG - That means built in USB Host support!

Thinest handset yet! 125.3X66.1X8.49mm

For more info go here:

Samsung GALAXY S II

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

Last edited by gTen; 02-14-2011 at 04:01 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:54 PM
O-Matic
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink

shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374
Re: Galaxy S 2!!!

And it come fully loaded with Froyo, but Samsung promises to have Gingerbread within 2 months of launch.

(Just waiting to read that somewhere)

Remember to clickon those who help! It's right down there.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:58 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

its got BT 3.0 as well... hopefully people will finally have a phone with great working BT
Old 02-13-2011, 08:12 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane6374 View Post
And it come fully loaded with Froyo, but Samsung promises to have Gingerbread within 2 months of launch.

(Just waiting to read that somewhere)
It actually comes with Gingerbread lol..but bright side for those on AT&T or in canada is they can use the international version and get updates faster...aka the original SGS had Froyo for months already..

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
its got BT 3.0 as well... hopefully people will finally have a phone with great working BT

original had that too..just got cut out of the CDMA models due to them using a Qualcomm chipset..
Old 02-13-2011, 08:23 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

gotcha..

i was just reading PhoneScoop.coms hands on review.... said its the thinnest lightest device imaginable.. dunno if the specs reflect that or not, or if it was just their "feeling" on the matter
Old 02-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

revaaron is keeping up the good workrevaaron is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Put froyo and then gingerbread on my epic 4g.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

ppcgpirate is keeping up the good workppcgpirate is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

here's a preliminary performance benchmark on the Mali 400 GPU. it's better than the SGX540 that was in the galaxy s series but it doesn't dominate over the Tegra 2.

Samsung's Galaxy S II Preliminary Performance: Mali-400MP Benchmarked - AnandTech

Last edited by ppcgpirate; 02-24-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:30 AM
testbot

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I just dropped Verizon so I could get the Galaxy S G4 and then I read this. Man I hate that so much. lol

Does anyone know when the projected release date is? I still have to move my wifes phone over so maybe I can give her this one and get the SII for myself. hahah
Old 02-27-2011, 11:34 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by testbot View Post
I just dropped Verizon so I could get the Galaxy S G4 and then I read this. Man I hate that so much. lol

Does anyone know when the projected release date is? I still have to move my wifes phone over so maybe I can give her this one and get the SII for myself. hahah
Depends if you care which network..on ATT you can actually use the international version that places already have for pre-order...the US variants probably going to do cosmetic designs and their own bloat and etc so it'll come out sometime in summer....
Old 02-28-2011, 07:10 PM
testbot

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Depends if you care which network..on ATT you can actually use the international version that places already have for pre-order...the US variants probably going to do cosmetic designs and their own bloat and etc so it'll come out sometime in summer....
That makes me feel a little better actually. I'm excited for S2 but it's so upsetting when a new one gets released only days after you got yours.

I wen't on Samsung's facebook and they said they'll be releasing it second quarter now. That means April - June. Not sure how that affects T-Mobile or Verizon's release dates.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series