PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Galaxy Series (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Galaxy S 2!!! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=140881)

gTen 05-25-2011 04:34 PM

Re: Galaxy S 2!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by boe (Post 2106656)
Hello,

Does anyone know if this device will be locked down? I was all set to preorder an EVO 3D this week but just found out it will be locked down.

Thanks

Samsung is not locking down devices..so unless sprint particularly asks for it (which I doubt) it won't be...

Karl 05-25-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2106714)
Samsung is not locking down devices..so unless sprint particularly asks for it (which I doubt) it won't be...

Good to know

Sent From My Rooted Evo Using Tapatalk

boe 05-26-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2106714)

Thanks. Do you really think HTC locked down the 3D on their own - seems more like something the carrier would have them do. I would have to imagine HTC would know it would lose popularity and sales by locking it down so the decision would have to come from an idiot. I could be wrong but I would have to believe that sort of thinking would have to come from Sprint.

I guess we'll know more when ATT Sprint and Verizon have the Galaxy SII.

gTen 05-26-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boe (Post 2107319)
Thanks. Do you really think HTC locked down the 3D on their own - seems more like something the carrier would have them do. I would have to imagine HTC would know it would lose popularity and sales by locking it down so the decision would have to come from an idiot. I could be wrong but I would have to believe that sort of thinking would have to come from Sprint.

I guess we'll know more when ATT Sprint and Verizon have the Galaxy SII.

Sprint on FB said that it was HTC's decision to lock down the phones...And the Incredible S which is international and not bound to any carrier was locked...HTC has been one upping their locks every release..

IF I were to guess HTC is making a gamble..they are sacrificing the developing community to try to get more friendly with content holders...In the end HTC has no chance against Samsung or LG..simply because those companies produce their own components..so if both companies were to build the same phone Samsung/LG would either be cheaper, or makes them more profit.

In that kind of market HTC would make very little profit (similar to the PC market)..so they are trying to probably distinguish themselves.

mlin 05-26-2011 11:19 PM

No more locked bootloaders for HTC!!!

Tapa tapa tapa

boe 05-27-2011 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2107377)
Sprint on FB said that it was HTC's decision to lock down the phones...And the Incredible S which is international and not bound to any carrier was locked...HTC has been one upping their locks every release..

IF I were to guess HTC is making a gamble..they are sacrificing the developing community to try to get more friendly with content holders...In the end HTC has no chance against Samsung or LG..simply because those companies produce their own components..so if both companies were to build the same phone Samsung/LG would either be cheaper, or makes them more profit.

In that kind of market HTC would make very little profit (similar to the PC market)..so they are trying to probably distinguish themselves.

Thanks for the info!

boe 05-27-2011 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlin (Post 2107395)
No more locked bootloaders for HTC!!!

Tapa tapa tapa

Yeah unfortunately I haven't seen anything definitive on them reversing their decision on the 3D but it is certainly good news for future HTC devices.

Karl 05-27-2011 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boe (Post 2107422)
Yeah unfortunately I haven't seen anything definitive on them reversing their decision on the 3D but it is certainly good news for future HTC devices.

Someone posted a e-mail from the CEO saying it does cover the Evo 3D

Sent From My Rooted Evo Using Tapatalk

boe 06-12-2011 12:16 PM

I'd like to know if the Verizon version will have LTE.

gTen 06-12-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlE (Post 2107471)
Someone posted a e-mail from the CEO saying it does cover the Evo 3D

From what people are saying the Evo3d will be unlocked at a later time, but initially it will be locked as there is not enough time to unlock them before release...they have not committed on a date yet though..

Quote:

Originally Posted by boe (Post 2114651)
I'd like to know if the Verizon version will have LTE.

Considering the Droid charge had LTE, I don't see why the SGS2 one won't..