PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 04:49 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
4g being weird..>.>

Ok..first I would like to note that I'm in ny which is a 4g area but is not officially..but anyways I was playing around with my phone and noticed something pretty weird...

When my device is lying on the desk I get 4g with 1 bar

[=======]

when my device is verticle or slanted I get 2 bars
__
/ /
/ /
/ /
--

Now its not impossible..mostly in weak signal areas..but the speedtests gives a different story...I mean its worlds apart :/

Here are some speed tests:

TP2 with 3g

Epic with 3g

Epic with 4G (1 bar)

Epic with 4G (2bars)

P.S if someone says iphone deathgrip I will smack them lol

I'm sure coverage will improve once more of my area is blanketed with 4g..but its a very interesting result...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 09-09-2010, 01:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4g

Vassago is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 4g being weird..>.>

I'm not experiencing that. I'm also in an "unofficial" 4g zone where 4g is available. For me, the 4g is much faster. Using the Speedtest.net Android app, I got this:

4g with 2 bars:
Test 1:
2566 kbps down
421 kbps up

Test 2:
3429 kbps down
412 kbps up

Test 3:
3729 kbps down
619 kbps up

On 3g:
Test 1:
490 kbps down
151 kbps up

Test 2:
874 kbps down
153 kbps up

Test 3:
597 kbps down
152 kbps up

I am in Jacksonville, FL.

Last edited by Vassago; 09-09-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:43 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Doesn't sprint cap the upload at 1mb? I guess maybe in unofficial zones caps aren't in place or something? But still a bit weird to have such high uploads and such low downloads..

Though have you tried placing your phone down? cause to me when I hold it in hand or have it tilted I get 2 bars..when I put it down on a flat surface drops to 1..and the speed difference is pretty big..just find it kinda strange lol
Old 09-09-2010, 06:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4g

Vassago is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Doesn't sprint cap the upload at 1mb? I guess maybe in unofficial zones caps aren't in place or something? But still a bit weird to have such high uploads and such low downloads..

Though have you tried placing your phone down? cause to me when I hold it in hand or have it tilted I get 2 bars..when I put it down on a flat surface drops to 1..and the speed difference is pretty big..just find it kinda strange lol
That was a mistype lol, sorry. The first number on all is down and the second is up, should have paid more attention to what I was doing.

I haven't noticed the phone position issue. I usually jump between two and three bars for 4g at work, so much be close to a station or something.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:46 PM
GTX Team Member
Pocket PC: Epic! (Evo and TP2 on standby)

Scientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I think you should avoid holding it that way
Old 09-10-2010, 10:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

crazaytalent is keeping up the good workcrazaytalent is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Ok..first I would like to note that I'm in ny which is a 4g area but is not officially..but anyways I was playing around with my phone and noticed something pretty weird...

When my device is lying on the desk I get 4g with 1 bar

[=======]

when my device is verticle or slanted I get 2 bars
__
/ /
/ /
/ /
--

Now its not impossible..mostly in weak signal areas..but the speedtests gives a different story...I mean its worlds apart :/

Here are some speed tests:

TP2 with 3g

Epic with 3g

Epic with 4G (1 bar)

Epic with 4G (2bars)

P.S if someone says iphone deathgrip I will smack them lol

I'm sure coverage will improve once more of my area is blanketed with 4g..but its a very interesting result...
Where in NY ... Im in NYC and i always kept my 4g off b/c I thought we dont get it and why kill my battery... are u you in the 5 boroughs? Let me know, and Ill test it out.

Also any one know if 4g is out in vegas yet? im heading out there this weekend and am hoping to test it, as I know a lot of west coast markets seem to have it as opposed to the east.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:36 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazaytalent View Post
Where in NY ... Im in NYC and i always kept my 4g off b/c I thought we dont get it and why kill my battery... are u you in the 5 boroughs? Let me know, and Ill test it out.

Also any one know if 4g is out in vegas yet? im heading out there this weekend and am hoping to test it, as I know a lot of west coast markets seem to have it as opposed to the east.
Ok maybe the problem is with the wifi-tethering app..it works with 3g fine..but weird with 4g..I do a speed test on my phone directly via speedtest app and get 4-7mb speed test..and a second later do it on the pc and get horrible...whats also weird is 1-2 bars has the impact I said above while on the phone 1-2bars makes no difference...so I guess 4g is messed up on wifi tethering :/

I'm testing it from brooklyn..its a bit flake but works...also vegas is one of the first 4g markets so it should work.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:02 AM
GTX Team Member
Pocket PC: Epic! (Evo and TP2 on standby)

Scientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScientific is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazaytalent View Post

Vegas does indeed have 4G....you will love it (when you need to use it)
Old 09-10-2010, 10:33 PM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I was surfing in 4G and it was awesome. Pictures downloaded lightning fast, web pages opened instantly. It was like a dream.

Oh, wait, it was a dream. I live just outside of Pensacola, FL where 4G is supposed to come online.....um.....NEVER. (Please take note of the envy dripping from my computer screen).

Bad ass phone though.....
Old 09-11-2010, 03:05 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

trancednovea is a n00b

today, on my epic 4g on sprint, using the free speedtest.net app from the marketplace, i got 10.9mbps down and 1.2mbps up w/ 90ms ping while connected to 4g. i had 2 out of 3 bars of 4g. this was in bannockburn, il in an office park where i work.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series