PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 05:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Coucher is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Email not auto checking?

Have a weird problem. Got the Epic on release day, set up my two emails that I want to be able to check from the phone, a POP3 account and a Gmail (that is not associated to the phone to sync).

Both are set to auto check for new mail every 5 mins. Everything worked great for about a day, but then stopped.

Neither email account is auto checking for mail regardless of the frequency I set it to. 5 mins, 10 mins, hourly, etc.

If I go into the inbox however for one of the email accounts it seems to instantly check for new mail and then all the messages show up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: Email not auto checking?

Ok, after doing some Googling and coming across a comment on some random site I did a little test.

I have two email accounts configured, and both were set to check every 5 minutes. It seems that the stock email app has some kind of issue initiating more than one email check at a time, so if you have multiple accounts and have them set to the same check frequency, it breaks. I left one account at 5 minutes, set the other to 10 minutes, and they both were able to receive test messages I sent.

How retarded.

Hopefully there will be a fix for this at some point.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Spoke too soon. It's still broken. Previous test was a fluke affected by having gotten an SMS around the same time.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:43 AM
Lurker

draconas is a n00b

I have the same exact problem for my Yahoo account (There are threads on other boards going back to late last year). I ended up downloading the K-9 app from the Market and it seems to be working quite well, and a lot more configurable. Still figuring out how to get it to work with my work's Exchange, but that part isn't broken with the native app, only Yahoo. Would like to get both in one app if possible. Who knows, maybe it is all fixed in 2.2 (Froyo).
Old 09-05-2010, 10:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Samsung Epic

JHComputerGuy is keeping up the good workJHComputerGuy is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coucher View Post
Have a weird problem. Got the Epic on release day, set up my two emails that I want to be able to check from the phone, a POP3 account and a Gmail (that is not associated to the phone to sync).

Both are set to auto check for new mail every 5 mins. Everything worked great for about a day, but then stopped.

Neither email account is auto checking for mail regardless of the frequency I set it to. 5 mins, 10 mins, hourly, etc.

If I go into the inbox however for one of the email accounts it seems to instantly check for new mail and then all the messages show up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
What was the outgoing mail server that you used for the pop3 account? I used the smtp.sprintpcs.com that I used on my previous phones but it did not work. Is there a new one for the 4g network?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconas View Post
I ended up downloading the K-9 app from the Market
Yeah, I've looked at K9 and MailDroid, but I just don't like either really. Hate having to give up certain features just to gain functionality that should be there stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHComputerGuy View Post
What was the outgoing mail server that you used for the pop3 account? I used the smtp.sprintpcs.com that I used on my previous phones but it did not work. Is there a new one for the 4g network?
That really has no bearing. I used mail.<servername>.com which is the same that I used for the last 4-5 years on Sprint with WinMo and then when running Android on my Touch Pro.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Samsung Epic

JHComputerGuy is keeping up the good workJHComputerGuy is keeping up the good work

smtp.sprintpcs.com finally worked. Port defaults to 587 on the EPIC when setting up. Just have to change to 25
Old 09-13-2010, 12:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic

JohnnyOnTheSpot is becoming a great contributor

I'm bumping this, mine is randomly not auto-checking. It did for a few days then decided to stop.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:09 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Question is does it not check or does it just not notify you correctly....try disabling TouchWiz temporarily and see if it works.

Also, do you have any programs such as Juice Defender installed?

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 09-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic

dumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epic : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SPH-D700 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

my email set for every hour seems like it only checks once a day if that .. comcast email ... i didnt do manual set up as idk what to enter

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series