PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Galaxy Series (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Email not auto checking? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=133001)

Coucher 09-03-2010 05:46 PM

Email not auto checking?

Have a weird problem. Got the Epic on release day, set up my two emails that I want to be able to check from the phone, a POP3 account and a Gmail (that is not associated to the phone to sync).

Both are set to auto check for new mail every 5 mins. Everything worked great for about a day, but then stopped.

Neither email account is auto checking for mail regardless of the frequency I set it to. 5 mins, 10 mins, hourly, etc.

If I go into the inbox however for one of the email accounts it seems to instantly check for new mail and then all the messages show up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Coucher 09-03-2010 06:24 PM

Re: Email not auto checking?

Ok, after doing some Googling and coming across a comment on some random site I did a little test.

I have two email accounts configured, and both were set to check every 5 minutes. It seems that the stock email app has some kind of issue initiating more than one email check at a time, so if you have multiple accounts and have them set to the same check frequency, it breaks. I left one account at 5 minutes, set the other to 10 minutes, and they both were able to receive test messages I sent.

How retarded.

Hopefully there will be a fix for this at some point.

Coucher 09-03-2010 08:05 PM

Spoke too soon. It's still broken. Previous test was a fluke affected by having gotten an SMS around the same time.

draconas 09-05-2010 02:43 AM

I have the same exact problem for my Yahoo account (There are threads on other boards going back to late last year). I ended up downloading the K-9 app from the Market and it seems to be working quite well, and a lot more configurable. Still figuring out how to get it to work with my work's Exchange, but that part isn't broken with the native app, only Yahoo. Would like to get both in one app if possible. Who knows, maybe it is all fixed in 2.2 (Froyo).

JHComputerGuy 09-05-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coucher (Post 1934326)
Have a weird problem. Got the Epic on release day, set up my two emails that I want to be able to check from the phone, a POP3 account and a Gmail (that is not associated to the phone to sync).

Both are set to auto check for new mail every 5 mins. Everything worked great for about a day, but then stopped.

Neither email account is auto checking for mail regardless of the frequency I set it to. 5 mins, 10 mins, hourly, etc.

If I go into the inbox however for one of the email accounts it seems to instantly check for new mail and then all the messages show up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

What was the outgoing mail server that you used for the pop3 account? I used the smtp.sprintpcs.com that I used on my previous phones but it did not work. Is there a new one for the 4g network?

Coucher 09-05-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draconas (Post 1935590)
I ended up downloading the K-9 app from the Market

Yeah, I've looked at K9 and MailDroid, but I just don't like either really. Hate having to give up certain features just to gain functionality that should be there stock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHComputerGuy (Post 1935710)
What was the outgoing mail server that you used for the pop3 account? I used the smtp.sprintpcs.com that I used on my previous phones but it did not work. Is there a new one for the 4g network?

That really has no bearing. I used mail.<servername>.com which is the same that I used for the last 4-5 years on Sprint with WinMo and then when running Android on my Touch Pro.

JHComputerGuy 09-05-2010 10:38 AM

smtp.sprintpcs.com finally worked. Port defaults to 587 on the EPIC when setting up. Just have to change to 25

JohnnyOnTheSpot 09-13-2010 12:51 AM

I'm bumping this, mine is randomly not auto-checking. It did for a few days then decided to stop.

gTen 09-13-2010 02:09 PM

Question is does it not check or does it just not notify you correctly....try disabling TouchWiz temporarily and see if it works.

Also, do you have any programs such as Juice Defender installed?

dumpringz 09-13-2010 02:14 PM

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epic : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SPH-D700 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

my email set for every hour seems like it only checks once a day if that .. comcast email ... i didnt do manual set up as idk what to enter