PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic
Carrier: Sprint

JohnnyOnTheSpot is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just rooted, now what?

I got the root to work, surprised it didn't delete anything, that's wonderful! So...I'm not really sure what to do now.

I have Titanium Backup and got that working, but what else? Does this do full backups?

Also, I have no clue how to use SetCPU properly.

I read about it helping battery life, but I'd also like to be able to force roam, tether, wifi hotspot, as well as adjust the sound settings. Anything else wonderful I should know about? Thanks!

This is my first Android phone, by the way, so please understand I have limited knowledge.

Last edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot; 09-01-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

nvmyc is keeping up the good worknvmyc is keeping up the good work
Re: Just rooted, now what?

Okay, here is a few things to get you started....download these free in the market and you can do wifi tethering free now that you have "root"....
Superuser...if allows you to set permissions for apps that require "root" access
busybox installer, this I believe is necessary for the wifi tethering and finally,
Wireless Tether.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic
Threadstarter

JohnnyOnTheSpot is becoming a great contributor

Thanks, I have the first two, I'll have to check out wireless tether.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Also, I have my SetCPU set to 1 ghz max and 400 mhz min, power set to performance...you could do conservative to save some battery but I think the battery is fine with it at performance. Today (obviously) was the first full day with my Epic. The phone came off the charger @ 4:15 am before I left for work, I have had it off the charger since then and it's now 10:35 pm and according to "battery gauge" I have 17% batt life left. I have had multiple conversation, plenty text's, been on facebook a lot since I can't live without it and have both FB and Twitter to update every 2 hours with my contacts...Not too bad if you ask me considering my brightness is turned up all the way to about 90%
Old 09-01-2010, 11:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

LOL, I forgot to add, Titanium should do full backups...I use mybackup pro but that's a paid app that does basically the same thing.
As for your Roaming issue, I cannot confirm that it works for our phones but there is an app on the market now called "Roam Control", it's $4 and maybe worth a shot since you have 24hrs to get a refund if it doesn't work....However it does say that is does not support the Samsung Moment so hopefully that is not true of the Epic. Best of luck to you
Old 09-02-2010, 06:32 AM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

This is not my first Android phone, but it is the first that I plan to keep for any significant length of time, so while I am fairly versed in using Android, I have no idea how to root it. Is there a sticky somewhere that explains how to do this? Is it the same for all Android phones, or does the Epic require a specific process/program/unlocker/whatever? I flashed many a custom ROM on my TP2 so I am familiar with how WinMo does it.

Class...Bueller...Anyone?
Old 09-02-2010, 06:37 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfoster View Post
This is not my first Android phone, but it is the first that I plan to keep for any significant length of time, so while I am fairly versed in using Android, I have no idea how to root it. Is there a sticky somewhere that explains how to do this? Is it the same for all Android phones, or does the Epic require a specific process/program/unlocker/whatever? I flashed many a custom ROM on my TP2 so I am familiar with how WinMo does it.

Class...Bueller...Anyone?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=770388
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:56 AM
nous défions

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Thanks!

Does this backup the stock ROM as well?

Last edited by Johnny.Bravo; 09-02-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

The stock Rom is not affected by this at all....
Old 09-03-2010, 12:18 AM
nous défions

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.21126/19.916; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

The xda thread about how to root the Epic is full of problems. Can anyone here come up with a real"one click root" that works all the time, for everyone?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series