PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 01:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: proud owner of a samsung epic 4g!!!
Carrier: sprint

2kidz is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to 2kidz
epic RAM question....

ok, i'm quite new to the android world so please be patient and talk slow and assume that i dont know what the hell i'm doing...with THAT said, the 1st of many questions that i am sure to have is my RAM is currently at 261/325mb's...i am not running any programs...is this normal??? seems like a pretty high number to me...if this is not normal, how can i DECREASE my RAM???
Old 08-31-2010, 02:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

JickBahTech is keeping up the good workJickBahTech is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Skype™ to JickBahTech
Re: epic RAM question....

I'm assuming it's because of all the apps that run in the background.
If you use the built in TouchWiz task manager you can't see them, but if you load ATK you can see many more apps running.

Truthfully it hasn't really hampered the phone that much unless I have a BUNCH of games running in the background...
Old 08-31-2010, 02:11 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

This info tends to start battles of epic (hee-hee) proportions....but....

That's just the way Android is. In most cases, you will see a high percentage of ram utilization, but performance on the phone is pretty much the same. As you open stuff, background programs either give up ram for the active process, or close altogether. My old hero rarely ever shows more than 40 mb of free ram. My evo will fluctuate between 100-250, depending on how far out from a fresh boot I am. But the performance is always the same.

I would only worry about this if you are having performance issues with the phone.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

2kidz is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokuzumi View Post
This info tends to start battles of epic (hee-hee) proportions....but....

That's just the way Android is. In most cases, you will see a high percentage of ram utilization, but performance on the phone is pretty much the same. As you open stuff, background programs either give up ram for the active process, or close altogether. My old hero rarely ever shows more than 40 mb of free ram. My evo will fluctuate between 100-250, depending on how far out from a fresh boot I am. But the performance is always the same.

I would only worry about this if you are having performance issues with the phone.

K...thanks guys...coming from the tp-2 like many others, i assume there will be alot of comparisons between the 2 phones although both are learly on different OS...so, here is the 1st one, is there some type of RAM cleaner similar to the one that was available for my tp-2?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

2kidz is a n00b

oh yeah, and how can we send multiple texts.....and, how do i delete emails? toldu guys, i'ma have lots of questions so please be patient and bear with me...k? k!
Old 08-31-2010, 03:07 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kidz View Post
K...thanks guys...coming from the tp-2 like many others, i assume there will be alot of comparisons between the 2 phones although both are learly on different OS...so, here is the 1st one, is there some type of RAM cleaner similar to the one that was available for my tp-2?
I used to use Advanced Task Killer (you may see the acronym ATK thrown around here, and over the internet in general). This will allow you to close apps completely. Just be careful. You can close out things you don't want to close out. Just pay attention when using this app, and you should be fine.

Just a side note: I stopped using ATK a few months ago, and I haven't noticed any difference, in both phone performance, and battery life.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:14 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

op, google questions also for faster answers also, ram on epic im not even worrying about really, theres plenty and i got lots of stuff running with no issues.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

2kidz is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
op, google questions also for faster answers also, ram on epic im not even worrying about really, theres plenty and i got lots of stuff running with no issues.
ok, i'm headed to google but while i have your attn, can i ask another quick question? ok, if i am on a site, can i save it to my favorites? if so, how? i'm leavn work now and didnt have time to google it but thanks for responding!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

2kidz is a n00b

is it possible to add signatures to texts and how can i delete messages from my aol email? can i only do this by licking on the 'x'?

*googled these questions to no avail*
Old 09-02-2010, 01:35 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kidz View Post
is it possible to add signatures to texts and how can i delete messages from my aol email? can i only do this by licking on the 'x'?

*googled these questions to no avail*
Licking on the "x" usually does give results.. But now sure they are the results you were looking for..

-CC

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series