PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question How long for Froyo

Any takers on when the Epic will see Froyo?

It looks like from various sources that the Europe GSM carriers are looking at September for the Galaxy line, but what about the Epic and us CDMA kin?

Third or Fourth Quarter? Early 2011?

I'm a little disappointed that other carriers are releasing Froyo phones at launch like the updated Incredible and Droid2 this late in the game but Samsung appears to be dragging it's heels. I'm sure they had access to Froyo just as long as the other manufactures had, why is it taking them so much longer? I hope they aren't putting all their eggs into the 2.1 launch and then start working on 2.2, cause that would suck--greatly!

I guess we should be glad we're not Streak owners getting 1.6, Eclair isn't as bad as Donut. Although I impatiently await putting my foot in my mouth when the Streak ends up getting 2.2 before the Epic does.

It's 2010 damnit! Where's my FLASH 10.1?!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:01 PM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Re: How long for Froyo

it will deffinitly take longer than normal, because the have to write it diffrently due to intergratin with touchwiz. also, even if the captiivate and the other one gets it soon, it may take longer due to makeing it work with wi max. there are so many variants of this phone that are similar in form factor and touchwiz experience, but ours is the one that will be totally different than all other galaxy s phones so far. sliding keyboard, wi max, the ui seems to be a bit different than the att version. it a lot of x factors.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:13 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Most of the phones were manufactured a while ago..we just getting them later...there is already a Froyo JP1-3 leaked out..its not fully stable but TouchWiz is definitely on it so its not a delay.. wimax shouldn't be a problem either, its just using the same drivers..theya rent gonna stop working from 2.1 to 2.2...if anything were to take time it will be sprint loading it with bloatware...

But the biggest delay with Froyo my guess is they want to include all the fixes for all the problems so far...also they may want to optimize it cause of the awesome GPU and CPU(which hasn't been used before)

I'll tell you this...even if Samsung doesn't release it for the Epic in September the community probably will..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 08-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2 & HD2
Carrier: Sprint & T-Mobile

rhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuff

The lack of Froyo out of the box on the Epic is one of the main reasons for me holding off on testing one out for at least a month or two. That said, I really hope 2.2 will be available sooner than later, as the lack of BT voice dialing directly from a BT headset is an epic Android OS failure, (no pun intended). On the plus side, it looks like the Epic has already been rooted.

http://pocketnow.com/android/samsung...ior-to-release

Best to all,
R
Old 08-27-2010, 08:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

nvmyc is keeping up the good worknvmyc is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacy View Post
The lack of Froyo out of the box on the Epic is one of the main reasons for me holding off on testing one out for at least a month or two. That said, I really hope 2.2 will be available sooner than later, as the lack of BT voice dialing directly from a BT headset is an epic Android OS failure, (no pun intended). On the plus side, it looks like the Epic has already been rooted.

http://pocketnow.com/android/samsung...ior-to-release

Best to all,
R
You act like 2.1 is a terrible OS or something....waiting for an official release on the updated software because it hasn't been released is kind of odd IMO anyway. Did you do the same before 2.1 was released? If you keep holding off because of an update to the Android system on a particular phone then you might be waiting forever and a day because the updates are constant on these phones.....I would love Froyo too but it isn't gonna make the phone 100X better, better yes but enough to hold off now because of 2.1 on it...hell no, not IMO. The Epic will get the 2.2 update sooner then later.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2 & HD2
Carrier: Sprint & T-Mobile

rhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmyc View Post
You act like 2.1 is a terrible OS or something....waiting for an official release on the updated software because it hasn't been released is kind of odd IMO anyway. Did you do the same before 2.1 was released? If you keep holding off because of an update to the Android system on a particular phone then you might be waiting forever and a day because the updates are constant on these phones.....I would love Froyo too but it isn't gonna make the phone 100X better, better yes but enough to hold off now because of 2.1 on it...hell no, not IMO. The Epic will get the 2.2 update sooner then later.
Are you kidding me, odd? As I said, no bluetooth voice dialing from a BT headset has been an android OS deal breaker for me. To clarify, I've been waiting for this feature since Android was first released, and know it's finally available with 2.2. Guess the fact that it's been available on other mobile platforms for many years, and it's something I've used daily for around five years now, has something to do with my decision process, lol... Plus, hands free phone use while driving is the law here. Moreover, there's no way I'm going back to wired headsets or messing with my phone while driving in 2010. That's so 2004 as well as illegal here. In turn, until a rooted or carrier released 2.2 solution becomes available, the Epic lacks a huge phone feature for my needs. Understand now?

Best to all,
R
Old 08-28-2010, 02:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S / Epic 4g

KaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to KaliS

i know that i'm jumping WAY ahead here...but will the epic ever see gingerbread, will it be possible?
Old 08-28-2010, 03:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

nvmyc is keeping up the good worknvmyc is keeping up the good work

Gingerbread is a variation of Froyo but made for higher end Android devices that support a higher resolution/bigger screen etc....some other things as well but mainly it is an extension of Froyo. More then likely it'll be on the Galaxy S line.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmyc View Post
Gingerbread is a variation of Froyo but made for higher end Android devices that support a higher resolution/bigger screen etc....some other things as well but mainly it is an extension of Froyo. More then likely it'll be on the Galaxy S line.
I think the question is will Samsung bring Gingerbread to the Galaxy S line. In my opinion that's why Samsung released it with the "stale" Eclair. As long as they give you ONE update they can say the device was supported during the warranty period. Just look at how fast Verizon is killing their lineup, the Droid 2, which just was released has a kill date of March, not even a year...

If I was a gambling man, I'd bet the only way the Epic will see Gingerbread is if it comes with a side of the community frosting.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:16 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
I think the question is will Samsung bring Gingerbread to the Galaxy S line. In my opinion that's why Samsung released it with the "stale" Eclair. As long as they give you ONE update they can say the device was supported during the warranty period. Just look at how fast Verizon is killing their lineup, the Droid 2, which just was released has a kill date of March, not even a year...

If I was a gambling man, I'd bet the only way the Epic will see Gingerbread is if it comes with a side of the community frosting.
I wouldn't count it out yet...the Galaxy S is not aimed at HTC but the iphone..and the iphone does offer 1 year upgrades at the very least...supposidly the next Galaxy S will come out 1 year from now aka May-June 2011...we willl have Gingerbread this fall...I'd like to see how samsung can justify over 6 month of not upgrading to gingerbread...on a "premium brand"

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series