PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 02:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

crazaytalent is keeping up the good workcrazaytalent is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Custom Roms?

Got my epic pre-order'd yesterday and cant wait for the 31st...

curious to know, as the community builds, and we get root support etc, whats the chances of getting some custom roms happening on this device? I love the device, but as Im sure all of us have experienced, often we don't get the full potential of a device until we get into custom roms and such. And as much of a fan as I am... I would mind striping the touch wiz 3.0 UI and maybe getting stock adroid interface or even sense you UI... I always enjoy customizing the way look and way my device acts and those options seem limited on the epic 4g, from what Ive seen in videos and other reviews.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:20 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Custom Roms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazaytalent View Post
Got my epic pre-order'd yesterday and cant wait for the 31st...

curious to know, as the community builds, and we get root support etc, whats the chances of getting some custom roms happening on this device? I love the device, but as Im sure all of us have experienced, often we don't get the full potential of a device until we get into custom roms and such. And as much of a fan as I am... I would mind striping the touch wiz 3.0 UI and maybe getting stock adroid interface or even sense you UI... I always enjoy customizing the way look and way my device acts and those options seem limited on the epic 4g, from what Ive seen in videos and other reviews.

Any thoughts?
There are already a few custom roms for the galaxy s series...and there is the making of a cyanogenmod..with a little tweaks it should work on our device as well...Though for now the Custom roms are limited to be based off Samsung firmware...stripping Touchwiz should be possible but sense ui will take some time to implement in...

but Touchwiz 3.0 is actually not that bad..the biggest reasons people have against it are 1) they arent used to it 2) they are confused and think its like the older crappier tocuhwiz 3) They are paranoid of the "iphonish" look thats here and there...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 08-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Vinterceptâ„¢
Carrier: Sprint SERO500 & Virgin Mobile

one80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to one80oneday

I'm not going to get an Epic until there is custom roms
Old 08-20-2010, 05:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

nvmyc is keeping up the good worknvmyc is keeping up the good work

I highly doubt Sense U.I. would ever be implemented on the Galaxy S series....it's bloatware....you can just download a different launcher like Launcher Pro or Helix Launcher if you don't want the Touchwiz on the device. There will be plenty of customization on this phone so I am sure that you will a multitude of custom Roms readily available soon after you get your phone.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

crazaytalent is keeping up the good workcrazaytalent is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
There are already a few custom roms for the galaxy s series...and there is the making of a cyanogenmod..with a little tweaks it should work on our device as well...Though for now the Custom roms are limited to be based off Samsung firmware...stripping Touchwiz should be possible but sense ui will take some time to implement in...

but Touchwiz 3.0 is actually not that bad..the biggest reasons people have against it are 1) they arent used to it 2) they are confused and think its like the older crappier tocuhwiz 3) They are paranoid of the "iphonish" look thats here and there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmyc View Post
I highly doubt Sense U.I. would ever be implemented on the Galaxy S series....it's bloatware....you can just download a different launcher like Launcher Pro or Helix Launcher if you don't want the Touchwiz on the device. There will be plenty of customization on this phone so I am sure that you will a multitude of custom Roms readily available soon after you get your phone.
Yeah im not stressin sense ui really... It would be cool to have as an option but if ever I know that wouldnt be for a Looooong time to come... really I like the stock android interface and just the ability to switch and swap out different launcers would be cool... but Im not sure you can do that off the bat, as all the reviews ive seen seem to just show touch wiz and discuss it as tho its the only option. The new touch wiz doesnt look that bad tho, my main concern is that bottom row of short cut icons, which(unlike other galaxy s models) sprint seems to have locked in w/ new way to swap or switch for personal options... stil its workable...

none the less custom will of course bring other options to the table, like the possibility of mobile hot spotting without the extra 30 data plan add on...
Old 08-20-2010, 11:29 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazaytalent View Post
Yeah im not stressin sense ui really... It would be cool to have as an option but if ever I know that wouldnt be for a Looooong time to come... really I like the stock android interface and just the ability to switch and swap out different launcers would be cool... but Im not sure you can do that off the bat, as all the reviews ive seen seem to just show touch wiz and discuss it as tho its the only option. The new touch wiz doesnt look that bad tho, my main concern is that bottom row of short cut icons, which(unlike other galaxy s models) sprint seems to have locked in w/ new way to swap or switch for personal options... stil its workable...

none the less custom will of course bring other options to the table, like the possibility of mobile hot spotting without the extra 30 data plan add on...
The community will probably find a way to edit the bottom buttons...as for the tethering we get that with rooting...

But if you really want stock android in the end we got some progress on that too:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132002

(its for the vibrant but I'm sure with a few minor changes will work for epic as well)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

yeah I figured as much... Im excited to see the communtiy build and what kind of new and different types of pross will be made with this device.... 31st cant get here soon enough...lol!
Old 08-20-2010, 11:41 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Vinterceptâ„¢
Carrier: Sprint SERO500 & Virgin Mobile

one80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to one80oneday

i'm worried that the Evo will be most popular and get all the love but we'll see. I'd like to see a home screen that auto hides the dock and only displays notification bar when there's a new notification
Old 08-20-2010, 11:48 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by one80oneday View Post
i'm worried that the Evo will be most popular and get all the love but we'll see. I'd like to see a home screen that auto hides the dock and only displays notification bar when there's a new notification
Galaxy S sales world wide are probably gonna outsell the EVO 10x fold if not 20x fold...all we need is a few people on the Epic side to do the minor tweaks to make the stuff work on the Epic as well..

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series