PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Galaxy Series (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Poor battery life Samsung Captivate (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=129329)

potatoofdoom 07-21-2010 11:24 AM

Poor battery life Samsung Captivate

It may just be me, but has anyone with a captivate felt that the battery life is not as good as it should be? I get roughly 1 percent per minute surfing on 3g. I have background data turned off, the brightness all the way down and nothing auto updating. I thought maybe it was due to getting poor reception at work, but it happens at home where I get good reception. Furthermore, I only get about .6 percent battery power per minute talking (6 percent every 10 minutes) that's only 2.7 hours, which is exactly half of the 5.5 that the box says. So to reiterate, I'm seeing 100 minutes of web surfing and 2.7 hours of talk time, with brightness all the way down, background data off, nothing syncing. Has anyone else experienced this or have any thoughts?

potatoofdoom 07-21-2010 11:37 AM

Re: Poor battery life Samsung Captivate

I forgot to mention, I lose only 1% an hour when the phone is sitting with the screen off, that's fine with me because I charge it once a day anyway.The phone also gets a bit warm to the touch while browsing.

gTen 07-21-2010 11:54 AM

Since it is the first 30 days I would get it replaced by AT&T and see if the issue improves.

potatoofdoom 07-21-2010 12:15 PM

I'm going to, but I was curious to see if anyone else is having the same issues or if their batteries were lasting much longer than mine.

potatoofdoom 07-21-2010 01:31 PM

I'm hogging my own thread but oh well. After some more creative searching I found this. http://androidforums.com/samsung-cap...ease-help.html

If you're too lazy to read I'll summarize for you. People are saying that after a few days the battery life improves, so I guess I'll be patient for a few more days and see what happens....

I'll leave it open for discussion though, has anyone else had these issues?

gTen 07-21-2010 07:35 PM

Actually It may be possible.. I hear there are 2 types of different batteries used....maybe one of the times requires training :/

drjamie03 07-21-2010 08:18 PM

I agree with the poor battery life. Supposedly, the display is responsible for 84% of the usage (no surprise there) but I turned the brightness way down with little or no improvement. I'm having to charge it at around 4-5pm daily.

potatoofdoom 07-22-2010 01:54 PM

Well I am happy to report that my battery life seems to have improved slightly, I've been getting about 1 percent for about 3 minutes surfing on 3g as of this morning.I've been using the phone as much as I have been the last few days and I've only gone though about 25 percent in the last 2.5 hours. So that's 10 hours of semi unrealistic heavy use from one charge. I have not had an opportunity to test talk time yet, Ill update when I do.

magicdanw 07-22-2010 11:47 PM

I'm in the same situation as you were, potato. Did you do anything that improved the battery life, or did it just improve on it's own? I'm trying to strip out all the widgets and things that may run in the background, so I'll see how it goes tomorrow, but I'm really thinking about bringing it back to AT&T and seeing if they'd replace it to let me find out if it's a bad battery or something.

ppcgpirate 07-23-2010 12:54 AM

also use solid black wallpaper. the screen supposedly uses very little power when displaying black, it's almost like the pixels are turned off.