PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Galaxy Series (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   A few Galaxy related questions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=127798)

JohnnyOnTheSpot 07-06-2010 11:06 AM

A few Galaxy related questions

I've been using HTC devices sinces the Mogul days, and I'm just curious how the transition will be and if a few features would carry over. I tether like it's my job so that would be integral, but I also need other things like Mobile Office and connecting the phone as a hard drive to access the memory card. Is this stuff likely to be on the new S Pro?

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions in advance.

The Sapient 07-06-2010 11:58 AM

Re: A few Galaxy related questions

I would be surprised if you won't be able to tether with this device, but I don't know for certain. MS Office documents can be edited with the included Thinkfree Office app. You can access the SD card with the included file browser.

JohnnyOnTheSpot 07-06-2010 01:10 PM

I'm wondering if past Samsung devices can tether. It'd be a shame to have 4g wasted without tethering. Also, I don't mean accessing the card through the phone menus, I mean accessing it by plugging the phone into the computer and using it as a card reader. Thanks though.

gTen 07-06-2010 01:57 PM

everything yu descritheability of android and is not manufacturer specific unless they lock it..which samsung did not..if a manufacturer locks it rooting it would unlock it anyways

JohnnyOnTheSpot 07-06-2010 08:17 PM

I'm sorry, that message was jumbled in the beginning, were you saying that all of those functions are in android? If so, cool.

I'm also curious about a few other things. How's is the audio output? Do these phones typically have a 3.5mm jack?

Can you easily put contacts in through your computer or something else?

I mean, is there anything blatant Android can't do that WM can?

gTen 07-07-2010 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot (Post 1853945)
I'm sorry, that message was jumbled in the beginning, were you saying that all of those functions are in android? If so, cool.

I'm also curious about a few other things. How's is the audio output? Do these phones typically have a 3.5mm jack?

Can you easily put contacts in through your computer or something else?

I mean, is there anything blatant Android can't do that WM can?

Android can do quite a lot..only common thing you may need is an app if you do M$ Exchange for tasks I think...At this point Android can do most of the things WM can. You can play around with Android on your TP to get a feel for it, but obviously it will be better once you get the real thing ;)

As for 3.5mm yes it has a 3.5mm audio port..and some reports show that it can do video over the 3.5mm as well lol

bboyneko 07-07-2010 02:02 PM

can i load only samsung widgets on touchwiz 3.0?

gTen 07-07-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bboyneko (Post 1854916)
can i load only samsung widgets on touchwiz 3.0?

Quote:

You also get the side-swiping homescreens where you can drop widgets, with a selection of Samsung and Android widgets. This gives you a great deal of freedom, and you can also drop shortcuts and bookmarks across these pages (we saw 7 pages) so you can possibly do away with the need to access the menu too much.
http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/48...ndroid-preview

But if you may not be able to use widgets such as HTC Sense Widgets without rooting with a Sense UI interface...

JohnnyOnTheSpot 07-09-2010 08:41 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I'm just a bit weary about switching platforms. So contacts wise, any way to put them on through my computer? Any other key differences I should know about?

gTen 07-09-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot (Post 1858840)
Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I'm just a bit weary about switching platforms. So contacts wise, any way to put them on through my computer? Any other key differences I should know about?

There are many ways..you can either sync through gmail and many other sync options..or if you have PIM Backup, there is an app that lets you load them up from the backup files.