PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 10:20 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Samsung Galaxy S will receive official Froyo(2.2) upgrade!

Quote:
Samsung has mercifully confirmed at an event in New York this evening that all Galaxy S versions -- including the Captivate, Epic 4G, Vibrant, and Fascinate -- will be receiving updates to Android 2.2 Froyo later this year and offer compatibility with Flash 10.1. All of the devices will be shipping with Android 2.1 out of the gate, so considering that Froyo's already launched, we're sure there'll be no shortage of pressure to get the updates fast-tracked. Sprint says it won't be a long wait on the Epic, but otherwise, we don't have any time frames at this point.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/29/s...t-android-2-2/

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 07-01-2010, 09:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

ppcgpirate is keeping up the good workppcgpirate is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Samsung Galaxy S will receive official Froyo(2.2) upgrade!

what about android 3.0 upgrade?

Rumor: Android 3.0 (Gingerbread) Out October, For Higher-Specced Phones

The rumored HTC Vision has kept me very entertained with stories of it running Android 3.0, with a slide-out keyboard and dual-core processor. It sounds like a fantasy-phone, but could be real, judging by these latest Gingerbread rumors.
Mobile-review.com's Eldar Murtazin has a reputation for scoops and leaks, and while he only revealed the details about the upcoming Gingerbread release on his Russian podcast, Unwired View translated it as containing the following information:
* Android 3.0 Gingerbread will be released in mid- October (around 15 -16th), 2010. First handsets shipping in November/December – for the Holiday Season.
* Minimum hardware requirements for Android 3.0 devices are: 1GHZ CPU, 512MB or RAM, displays from 3.5" and higher. We all of course heard that Android handsets with 2GHz CPU's are coming.
* New 1280×760 resolution available for the devices with displays of 4" and higher
* Completely revamped user interface. If you want to get a feeling of what Android 3.0 Gingerbread UX is like, check out the Gallery App on Nexus One. The same overall feel, light animated transitions,etc. Natively, through all the UI.
* Android's split into 2 branches becomes official. 3.0 for top of the line/high end devices. Cheap, low-end mass market handsets will keep Android 2.1/2.2
The last point is really interesting, if Murtazin's predictions of an October release for the firmware update are actually true. Android 2.2 (Froyo) has only just been released by Google, but most manufacturers and operators are yet to push it through themselves—it's believed HTC for example won't hit the trigger button until October.
These high-end phones which have already been confirmed for Froyo might not be so high-end come October, so with any luck we can see some new hardware which will be better suited for the new, higher-resolution support. I'm talking that HTC Vision, which is meant to be part of T-Mobile's Project Emerald.
Also mentioned in his podcast is that interfaces such as HTC's Sense, Motorola's MOTOBLUR and Sony Ericsson's TimeScape will have little relevance after Gingerbread comes out, as the update will offer much more than the UIs can give.
I'm pinning a lot of hopes on the upcoming Gingerbread release pushing manufacturers further, anyone else? [Digestiv via Unwired View]
Old 07-01-2010, 10:08 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Well it is not sure whether 3.0 will come yet..but it has the specs so it should be isntallable when rooted thats for sure. If samsung releases an official update for 3.0, which hopefully thy will it would be great.

of course if android branches in the 2.0 and 3.0...it may be possible to have 2.3 update instead of 3.0 :/
Old 07-02-2010, 07:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

derfnoslen is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Well it is not sure whether 3.0 will come yet..but it has the specs so it should be isntallable when rooted thats for sure. If samsung releases an official update for 3.0, which hopefully thy will it would be great.

of course if android branches in the 2.0 and 3.0...it may be possible to have 2.3 update instead of 3.0 :/
As good as phones like the EVO and Epic look, I think I'm going to wait until Gingerbread comes out. Phones like the droid and hero were only upgraded once, I don't think the carriers will take these phones all the way to 3.0.

Also I remember reading a post on Engadget that talked about phones with 2.0 Ghz Android phones comming by the years end. If you put all of that info together it seems like there will be alot of unhappy customers for those who choose to go with the current line up.

Also its been said that 3.0 will be the last upgrade for awhile, Android has reached a point where they can hopefully do a yearly upgrade.. similar to the iPhone's OS. Just looking at cell phone trending... the hero has been out for about 7-8 months, and it is outdated, and the EVO and Epic will be too. Because Android is upgrading the OS like crazy. Things should level out at 3.0.... I'm going to play the waiting game.

***EDIT***

Here's the clip from Engadget... it also looks like upcoming phones will have some more GPU options.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/10/m...-end-so-do-we/

Looks like we didn't get the full dish from Sanjay Jha's bout of loquaciousness this morning. It turns out Moto's chief of handsets has also expressed his company's intention to bring the world its first 2GHz smartphone and to do so on an aggressively accelerated roadmap. By the end of the year, Sanjay? Yes please. Another Moto exec is cited as saying NVIDIA Tegra will be providing the graphics prowess, Flash 10.1 will be fully supported, and a gyroscope will accompany HD video recording and output on the dreamy spec sheet. We wouldn't invest all of our trust in the conveniently anonymous exec's promised specs, but that 2GHz number comes straight from the top -- let the countdown begin.

**EDIT AGAIN**

Since I am a professional lurker lol, I also remember reading that the guy who did the Palm Pre's OS went to work for Google's Android UI or department or something to that effect. 3.0 should be a huge leap forward... yea... I'm going to wait.

Last edited by derfnoslen; 07-02-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:15 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

You can still root the device and install 3.0 even if they do not give that option...even still 2.2 is a good solution..so far only thing known about 3.0 is higher resolution support for tablets and a new UI...

As for the 2.0ghz phones..thats just some random manager in motorola says he would like to see a 2ghz phone by the end of the year, not exactly motorola is working on one or has one...which is not gonna happen...since no manufacturer so far announced a CPU that is capable of 2.0ghz...

Its up to you really but I think the Galaxy S will be better or at least on par with the devices that come out this year at least...
Old 07-02-2010, 09:20 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
You can still root the device and install 3.0 even if they do not give that option...even still 2.2 is a good solution..so far only thing known about 3.0 is higher resolution support for tablets and a new UI...

As for the 2.0ghz phones..thats just some random manager in motorola says he would like to see a 2ghz phone by the end of the year, not exactly motorola is working on one or has one...which is not gonna happen...since no manufacturer so far announced a CPU that is capable of 2.0ghz...

Its up to you really but I think the Galaxy S will be better or at least on par with the devices that come out this year at least...
Motorola confirms 2GHz smartphone by Christmas, hmmm
http://www.techeye.net/mobile/motoro...e-by-christmas seems hes not a "random" guy, ceo in fact.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:37 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
Motorola confirms 2GHz smartphone by Christmas, hmmm
http://www.techeye.net/mobile/motoro...e-by-christmas seems hes not a "random" guy, ceo in fact.
I dont think he is exactly the CEO of motorola but they did some splitting into multiple companies so maybe he is the ceo of the new division...

That sid we have been waiting on a Tegra chip in smartphones for years already only to be disappointed :/..not to mention 2ghz...

Unless the new phone is that rumored Nexus Two that was said Motorola won the contract for...

Either way I want to see a 2ghz chip in the market first..If there is no such chip, producing the chip + the phone is gonna take some time...

Also..I would like to add that so far, Sprint has yet to release 1 android motorola phone :/..if anything it will most likely be an LTE device for verizon...

Last edited by gTen; 07-02-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

derfnoslen is just getting started

Quote:
I dont think he is exactly the CEO of motorola but they did some splitting into multiple companies so maybe he is the ceo of the new division...

That sid we have been waiting on a Tegra chip in smartphones for years already only to be disappointed :/..not to mention 2ghz...

Unless the new phone is that rumored Nexus Two that was said Motorola won the contract for...

Either way I want to see a 2ghz chip in the market first..If there is no such chip, producing the chip + the phone is gonna take some time...

Also..I would like to add that so far, Sprint has yet to release 1 android motorola phone :/..if anything it will most likely be an LTE device for verizon...
Still, giving all of the recent developments, I would wait. Once 3.0 hits Google hopes to only release a major update once a year, like Apple. This was basically solve the.fragmentation problem and you won't have to worry about your device not being updated. All that is left would be hardware things. Like the iPhone 3gs, and the iPhone 4. If both have the new OS you only have a few hardware changes, a few software ones. I have to stop bevause my phone sucks lol. Thsnks darren for backing me on that, i tried to find that link but my phone sucks.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

The Sapient is keeping up the good workThe Sapient is keeping up the good work

I don't know. There is always something better just over the horizon. It is a fast moving industry. I also wonder wonder how current batteries would handle a 2 ghz processor. Batteries are already becoming the weak link of modern phones.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

ppcgpirate is keeping up the good workppcgpirate is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sapient View Post
I don't know. There is always something better just over the horizon. It is a fast moving industry. I also wonder wonder how current batteries would handle a 2 ghz processor. Batteries are already becoming the weak link of modern phones.
especially for android devices though that could be a HTC battery optimization thing.

Another thing to consider is how will 2ghz be put to use? as i see it, and i'm no industry expert or visionary, no software will available this year or even next that will use 2ghz for a purposeful means that a 1ghz processor can't (maybe 1080p video but on a 4" screen what's the point?). smartphones don't really need 2ghz right now and they haven't evolved enough to need it next year either. the only reason we'll get it is the companies trying to one up or keeping up with each other. what they should be trying to do instead is improve user experience, I'm not an apple fan, but even i can admit the user experience on the iphone for the most part is pretty smooth or polished compared to android. maybe 3.0 will bring the polish.

Last edited by ppcgpirate; 07-05-2010 at 11:30 PM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series