PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Mesmerize
Carrier: US Cellular

mmkat is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Contacts - Change Order (last first) & Links

I am a new Mesmerize user and still learning the ways of the smartphones. I use dejaOffice to sync my phone with my desktop for calendar, contacts, tasks and memos/notes because I love Palm's desktop functions (and hate Google's calendar and contacts - plus Google doesn't have a memo/note function).

I have a couple of issues/questions.

1. The phone pulls up the built-in contacts list when I want to make a call or send an email (rather than defaulting to those synchronized from Palm's desktop), and those often are out of date (I have no idea where they all came from) AND are listed first name first, last name last. I have over 1100 contacts, so if I'm looking for Michael Moore, I have to search through all the Michaels (lots of them) to find the person. Is there any way to change the order to last name first? Is there a way to make the dejaOffice-synced contacts list be the default contacts list, so I won't have to deal with the built-in contacts list?

2. The phone links together anyone and everyone who has any of the same phone numbers, so there are sometimes multiple people coming up for one number. For example, my husband and I work in the same office. The "Office" entry shows the regular office number and fax, our home telephone number (because both of those are on the entry for my husband), and my husband's and my cell phone numbers. The entry for another person in the office shows my husband's photo, because those all are linked, too. I figured out how to unlink contacts, but if I have to go through and do that for hundreds of entries, I'll go nuts. Is there any way to prevent linking all contacts?

I'm hoping this is do-able, and I just haven't figured it out yet .....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:47 AM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III
Carrier: Sprint

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Contacts - Change Order (last first) & Links

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmkat View Post
Is there any way to change the order to last name first?
Open your Contacts then go to Menu>More>Display options. You should see a couple of different settings you can play with including "Sort by" and "Display contacts by".

At least that's how it works on the Epic. The other Galaxy S phones should be similar.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Mesmerize
Carrier: US Cellular
Threadstarter

mmkat is a n00b

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, the display options on the Mesmerize are limited to toggling on or off "Only contacts with phones"
and then a choice of various grouping of friends, family, etc. under the Contacts, Google and/or Facebook.

I do not see any sorting option.

Any other thoughts?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:45 PM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III
Carrier: Sprint

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Nope. Sorry. I have never actually had my hands on a Mesmerize, just the Epic.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series