PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 11:26 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Froyo Update may come sooner then we thought

While this is for Korean version, it is a good sign that they will already have it ready by then...not only that, this is about a month after the release which is a good sign for us here as it spells samsung will have the update ready and waiting on the carriers only.

Quote:
Samsung has finally put a date to Galaxy S’ Android 2.2 Froyo update. However, before you get excited let me tell you that this piece of info relates to the Korean version of Galaxy S (M110S) and not the International or US variants.

Anyways, a Samsung official has confirmed that Galaxy S’ Android update should take place sometime in early August and all the UI features like TouchWiz 3.0, Social Hub etc. will be integrated in the next update.

As I said, this does not reflect other Galaxy S’ update status but we can expect Samsung to make international consumers happy as well.

The update will be available via KIES.
http://www.samsunghub.com/2010/07/12...-early-august/

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 07-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Froyo Update may come sooner then we thought

It would be nice if Sprint just announced a release date of the Epic itself, it would be all gravy if they than said Froyo by this date. Sprint is HORRIBLE with informing it's customers ANY timely information in general. Verizon is releasing their next Android phone in a week, Sprint could easily dig into those sales by saying our hardware keyboard phone is coming on this date placing doubt and making people wait to compare the phones. Instead people are just going to buy the Droid X and Sprint will just lose those sales. All this because no one wants to guess WTF Sprint will "eventually" get around to do.

Dumb...Dumb...Dumb...

Last edited by testacon; 07-12-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:48 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
It would be nice if Sprint just announced a release date of the Epic itself, it would be all gravy if they than said Froyo by this date. Sprint is HORRIBLE with informing it's customers ANY timely information in general. Verizon is releasing their next Android phone in a week, Sprint could easily dig into those sales by saying our hardware keyboard phone is coming on this date placing doubt and making people wait to compare the phones. Instead people are just going to by the Droid X and Sprint will just lose those sales. All this because no one wants to guess WTF Sprint will "eventually" get around to do.

Dumb...Dumb...Dumb...
Sprint has always been a 1 phone company...aka since they released an EVO they take forever just to release the next phone...I guess they can't understand the concept of running 2 feature phones at the same time...

But either way its good to know samsung is almost done with the froyo update...
Old 07-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Sprint has always been a 1 phone company...aka since they released an EVO they take forever just to release the next phone...I guess they can't understand the concept of running 2 feature phones at the same time...

But either way its good to know samsung is almost done with the froyo update...
I guess that would be true if one could ACTUALLY buy an EVO, but that isn't really working out for Sprint right now...

Sarcasm aside, I totally agree that it's a good thing that Samsung is about done with the core of Froyo, now they just needs to customize Sprint's crap--I mean extras!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:45 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
I guess that would be true if one could ACTUALLY buy an EVO, but that isn't really working out for Sprint right now...
!
Well thats more the point..I don't understand why carriers are happy that their phones are "selling out"..they don't make money on selling phones they make money on contracts..if you can't keep 1 phone stocked your loosing customers...this is another reason why Epic would have been nice for an earlier release..they could split the traffic between 2 phones during the summer...

The way they are doing it now though seems like they just giving away subscribers...:/
Old 07-12-2010, 01:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

The Sapient is keeping up the good workThe Sapient is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Well thats more the point..I don't understand why carriers are happy that their phones are "selling out"..they don't make money on selling phones they make money on contracts..if you can't keep 1 phone stocked your loosing customers...this is another reason why Epic would have been nice for an earlier release..they could split the traffic between 2 phones during the summer...

The way they are doing it now though seems like they just giving away subscribers...:/
I don't think there is an intentional delay going on with the Epic. I suspect it will be released within a couple weeks of the earliest possible date they could have released it.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:02 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sapient View Post
I don't think there is an intentional delay going on with the Epic. I suspect it will be released within a couple weeks of the earliest possible date they could have released it.
Well you say that but...I can understand T-mobile releasing an Android phone before Sprint...but when AT&T beats you to the punch..thats just sad :/

Update: Look at this..see told you sprint is screwing itself: (The longer they take with the EPIC, the worse off they will be in the 4G race)

Quote:
It looks like Sprint's head start in the 4G service race may not be quite as big as the carrier would like. According to the Wall Street Journal, HTC EVO 4G handset shortages are mitigating whatever advantage the company should have, being first out of the gate with the technology. "The early move to 4G has benefited Sprint from a marketing perspective, but it hasn't really proven out in a major way in subscriber growth," said Dan Hays, an analyst for PRTM. Good news, perhaps, for both AT&T and Verizon, who looks to take its first, tentative steps into some markets later this year. In other news, Sprint has announced a handful of 4G rollouts, including such far-flung locales as Rochester and Syracuse, New York; Merced and Visalia, California; Eugene, Oregon; Tri-Cities and Yakima, Washington. Hopefully HTC can start providing the necessary handsets! PR after the break.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/12/e...-customers-in/

Last edited by gTen; 07-12-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

The Sapient is keeping up the good workThe Sapient is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Well you say that but...I can understand T-mobile releasing an Android phone before Sprint...but when AT&T beats you to the punch..thats just sad :/

Update: Look at this..see told you sprint is screwing itself: (The longer they take with the EPIC, the worse off they will be in the 4G race)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/12/e...-customers-in/

I'm not sure how any of this leads to the conclusion that Sprint is intentionally holding off on releasing the Epic. Do you know when Sprint had access to a complete device relative to when AT&T did? Do you know if Samsung is manufaturing all versions of the Galaxy S at the same time, in equal numbers? I think it defies logic to look at Sprint's comments about their EVO problems and conclude they don't WANT to release the Epic yet.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:39 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sapient View Post
I'm not sure how any of this leads to the conclusion that Sprint is intentionally holding off on releasing the Epic. Do you know when Sprint had access to a complete device relative to when AT&T did? Do you know if Samsung is manufaturing all versions of the Galaxy S at the same time, in equal numbers? I think it defies logic to look at Sprint's comments about their EVO problems and conclude they don't WANT to release the Epic yet.
Well this has been a TREND of sprint for a LONG time..sprint always released one device and tried to milk it out for 3-6month without adding anything new....

Same thing happened with the Touch Pro 2..it got delayed due to them trying to milk the Palm Pre...and many phones before...

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series