PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy S III
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 07:25 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

rprochnow is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Kies and Dropbox

The Sprint Galaxy S3 comes with Kies and Dropbox installed. I've tried both - and not sure either really do what I want...

Dropbox syncs files on a cloud server - but only those files that are on the internal memory card - it won't sync anything that's stored on the SD card - which is where I would prefer to put most of my multimedia files - pictures, videos, music.

Kies appears to support the SD card - but when it syncs - it doesn't retain the folder structure on the SD card - I have music files organized in folders by album - but Kies puts them all into one huge folder.

Kies has backup/restore - but it doesn't include the SD card - and the backup is manual - it appears you have to manually select what you want included in the backup - and manually start the backup. Would have preferred an automatic backup.

Kies syncs with a PC - not with a cloud server - and can sync via USB, WiFi or Bluetooth. But if you want to sync with a PC that has only a wired network connection and no bluetooth, it appears the only option is to plug the phone in with USB.

Kies also has functionality to install firmware upgrades to the phone - but this appears to be disabled for my Sprint GS3.

While both of these apps are free - not clear they provide enough benefit to warrant use.

Does anyone else have a better experience with either of these apps or a better alternative for backups and syncing media files (on the SD card)?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy S III