PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Epic Touch (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=395)
-   -   rooting (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=149872)

tsowen 04-25-2012 02:28 PM

rooting

Just switched from the Epic to the Epic 4G Touch, anyone try this method of root for the Sprint Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch? [ROOT][NCIQ][EG30/EG31/EK02] Auto root your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN/ROM Flash) - xda-developers

fixxxer2012 04-25-2012 03:30 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; ADR6425LVW Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

My experience with rooting samsung is you odin a recovery and just flash a rooted rom. Wish i could be of more assistance.

demonlordoftheround 04-25-2012 03:50 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SPH-D710 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Same here. Auto root came out after I had rooted by Odining a rooted kernel that included clockwork mod.

Wideawake 04-25-2012 09:29 PM

Your in luck! I just rooted mine the other day. Autoroot was a no go for me due to mine being a EL29. (Or it didn't work for me) I had to odin a recovery onto it. I might be able to help. Whats the last 4 of your build number?

Sent from my SPH-D710 on the PPCGeeks App

Karl 04-26-2012 12:37 AM

Re: rooting

this is the one i used
[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097 (EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers

tsowen 04-26-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wideawake (Post 2176520)
Your in luck! I just rooted mine the other day. Autoroot was a no go for me due to mine being a EL29. (Or it didn't work for me) I had to odin a recovery onto it. I might be able to help. Whats the last 4 of your build number?

Sent from my SPH-D710 on the PPCGeeks App

It was a no go for me as well I am on EL29 as well.

demonlordoftheround 04-28-2012 05:40 PM

There should be an Odin One Click No Data rooted version that will do the trick.

Sent from my Epic Touch 4G using Tapatalk.

Karl 04-28-2012 05:58 PM

the link i gave above is the one i used on one of my touches, which is the one click
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7pWjmKCsoc

my other epic didnt work with above so i used this one

a4) Special pre-rooted EL29 ODIN OneClick Full flash w/ EL29+CWM-Rogue
- this is a convenience package for folks wanting to flash their ICS ROMs from a GB-based CWM
- WILL trigger yellow triangle and increase ODIN flash count
- use USB jig or Triangle Away (only for ICS-based ROMs) to reset triangle and ODIN flash count
SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097_ROOTED_CWM-oc-sfx.exe [Mirror1 / Mirror2] [MD5: da230b3cddfee2b3de88f92b0c0890eb / Size: 285,855,691]

i have a jig you can barrow

Wideawake 04-30-2012 03:51 PM

No JIG needed, I did it using this method, but at first I didnt get CWM. Boot screen will change when u got it right, says Android instead of Sprint logo, which I may look into fixing soon. I like stock looking.
~Mike

t0mmyr 05-02-2012 11:57 PM

If you're running the latest stock sprint rom at the time of this posting (gingerbread EL29) then follow Wideawake's words and do as sfhub has posted

Hope it's alright to cross-quote-edit another forum post so first and foremost thanks to sfhub for the best leaks and quality OPs :) and to everyone who contributes

If you're running windows then this is what you should do:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfhub;xda
This One-Click ODIN contains the STOCK EL29 Modem, Kernel (CWM OPTIONAL) , and ROM for the E4GT.

The ONLY change was the addition of ROOT to the ROM. NOTHING else was changed. If you made no other changes, you WOULD be able to install an OTA patch update (based off of EL29) on top of this w/o issues.

This will NOT trigger the Yellow Triangle NOR will it increment the ODIN flash count.

This does NOT have the issue with the USB jig being disabled.

I'm recommending only 1 version to use in this step as we're just rooting and want the ability to run backup apps that require ROOT such as titanium backup. So let's use: No Data Restore, which preserves your User Data.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...9&d=1325958592

videos optional:
Instructions - Video by qbking77 [ODIN One-Click / Install CWM]

0) Backup anything important and Disable any PINs
To be safe, it is best to archive your backup off your phone, ie on your PC or dropbox.

Note #1: Please DISABLE any PIN code you may have created to protect your phone. As a security measure, after the flash, Android will ask you for your PIN, if you have one enabled. It is simpler to have no PIN active. If you forgot your PIN then, after the factory restore, just enter the wrong PIN a few times and it will warn you. Enter the wrong PIN again and it will reset the filesystem.

1) Install Samsung USB/Android drivers on your Windows PC (if necessary) [USB/Android]

2) Download the EL29 full NODATA One-Click self-extractor
SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097_ROOTED_NODATA-oc-sfx.exe [Mirror1 / Mirror2 / Mirror3 / Mirror4 / Multi / Torrent] (PRESERVE user data)
[MD5: 98c1ebd3b703c94ee87d1f065f5e72c9 / Size: 283,764,568]

3) Extract the package
double-click on the self-extractor file (or use 7zip, etc to extract), specify the directory to extract to (instructions assume C:\)

4) Start ODIN One-Click
Navigate to C:\Odin-OC
Double-click on SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097_ROOTED_NODATA-OneClick.exe

5) Place phone in ODIN download mode
Code:

Power down phone
Wait for capacitative button lights to turn off
Simultaneously Press and Hold [Power] [VolDn] until confirmation screen appears
Press [VolUp] to enter Download mode

Code:

Connect USB cable to PC if not already connected
ODIN should show yellow COM port in 2nd column

Note #1: If you do not see a yellow COM port, you may need to run the ODIN One-Click as Administrator and/or unplug/plugin the USB cable after starting ODIN One-Click.

6) Start ODIN flash process
Press [Start]

7) Complete - PASS!
When complete you should see a screen similar to what is shown at top of post
Phone will automatically reboot
Status should change to green PASS!

Boot process will be slightly longer than usual during which time you'll see the 4G logo screen.