PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy S II Series > Samsung Epic Touch

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 01:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6700/Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

0Gravity is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
MicroUSB Car Charger vs. Universal USB car charger?

Hi All,
Just switched over to this phone from The HTC Touch Pro so all my chargers and stuff are for the Mini USB instead of the MicroUSB, my question is I have a car charger adaptor that has a standard USB dongle that you can then plug any USB cord into...when I plug this in to use as a car charger the phone seems to see it kinda like I am plugging into my PC and shows a little USB symbol in the upper left of the notification area on my phone, also it seems to charge a little but does not seem to keep up, and the phone still slowly discharges when using google maps or navigation, is there something different or better about using an actual micro usb car charger over this universal usb adaptor? Should I spend the $25 to buy a sprint car charger?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 02-03-2012, 01:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

Biggnaa20 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to Biggnaa20 Send a message via Skype™ to Biggnaa20
Re: MicroUSB Car Charger vs. Universal USB car charger?

You shouldn't have to buy a specific Sprint charger, but a generic charger that is specific to android in general (from Amazon or ebay) should work fine.

Your current set up isn't allowing enough juice to come through, but it might be the connection from the mini USB to the Micro adapter. This happened to me sometime before I switched to the Epic Touch.

Last edited by Biggnaa20; 02-03-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks for the reply.....I ended up buying one from RadioShack that says it puts out 650ma(Not sure what my old setup put out), I have not had a chance to use it yet to see if it keeps up!
Old 02-05-2012, 01:32 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

walgreens carries a $5 one that doesn't pop the usb menu, it's 1000mah and only issue I've had with it is a little noise in my fm radio. I see they have a dual mini & micro cable I'll have to try out.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
walgreens carries a $5 one that doesn't pop the usb menu, it's 1000mah and only issue I've had with it is a little noise in my fm radio. I see they have a dual mini & micro cable I'll have to try out.
You wouldn't happen to have a brand name would you...also is it a car charger with the cord or is it a USB adapter type dongle, where you need to supply a usb cable?
Thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 03:15 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

no name, but I'll look next time i'm at the store.. I didn't see them on the web site so it might be a regional thing. it's a mini cig lighter usb port for any cable. like I said the only down side I've seen with it is some interference with weaker stations with the car radio
Old 02-06-2012, 12:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
no name, but I'll look next time i'm at the store.. I didn't see them on the web site so it might be a regional thing. it's a mini cig lighter usb port for any cable. like I said the only down side I've seen with it is some interference with weaker stations with the car radio
I think I may have seen the ones you are talking about in the checkout line of my local Walgreens....are they are really small about an inch or so long and have a flat top on them where the cable plugs in?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth

yup. thems the ones

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy S II Series > Samsung Epic Touch