PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy S II Series > Samsung Epic Touch

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 11:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

bndfishing is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Moved from EVO 4g to S2

Spent the weekend getting my S2 all setup and everything moved from the EVO. So far I really like this phone, there are some differences and a few thing I hope Samsung works on. If I used this phone for fun it would be perfect but I use it for business, like 5000 minutes a month and 600 emails.

The battery is good, better than the EVO stock battery but still only lasts be 1/2 a day.
I am not high on the phone dialer, when you use the keypad to type a contacts name it only recognizes the fist 4 charterers then wants you to choose from a list. I have 45 Daves' in the list this is kind of a PITA.

The calendar widget doesn't let you move from month to month with out selecting a day, then selecting month view then moving to a different month.

You have to select reply from a menu on emails to reply or reply all, wish there was a soft key on the screen.

I love the the customization on the screens, the traffic widgets, the texting format, the screen is awesome, and this thing is smoking fast. Glad I made the move can't wait for the Note to hit.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO!
Carrier: Sprint

Fat Tony is keeping up the good workFat Tony is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Moved from EVO 4g to S2

I am in the same boat, I came from an Evo4G and my only complaint is battery life. To me the phone is too thin and I've got to buy an extended battery with a door, that'll solve the way it feels and more importantly the battery life.

Dialer issue: Wait for some roms to come out and you can change the dialer. I have 5 Mikes and I put links to important people on the screen. I didn't check but there may be a speed dial thingy. I remember when I used to have a flip phone, I had over 250 speed dials and people would be remembered by #56 or #72. I think this phone has speed dials so that may solve half the problem. Also voice dial may help. "Call Mikey P"

I've never used the installed calendar app so I can't help there. There are a bunch of calendar apps, planner apps, etc on the market and it's a personal prefrence. Download and see what you like. Same with email. I use the Gmail app and it works for me, I tried a few and nothing worked as well as the gmail app.

The first few days I really missed my Evo4G. Glad I made the move. Part of the reason I was sad to see it go was the way I had it set up. Once some Roms come out (ahem, OMJ hint hint) it'll be perfect.

I didn't install ADW Launcher yet. That thing is awesome. I might just do that to customize everything the way I want it.
Isaiah 43:2 When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:11 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Since there is root access already, can't you undervolt your cpu for extra battery life?

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 09-27-2011, 01:07 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bndfishing View Post
Spent the weekend getting my S2 all setup and everything moved from the EVO. So far I really like this phone, there are some differences and a few thing I hope Samsung works on. If I used this phone for fun it would be perfect but I use it for business, like 5000 minutes a month and 600 emails.

The battery is good, better than the EVO stock battery but still only lasts be 1/2 a day.
I am not high on the phone dialer, when you use the keypad to type a contacts name it only recognizes the fist 4 charterers then wants you to choose from a list. I have 45 Daves' in the list this is kind of a PITA.

The calendar widget doesn't let you move from month to month with out selecting a day, then selecting month view then moving to a different month.

You have to select reply from a menu on emails to reply or reply all, wish there was a soft key on the screen.

I love the the customization on the screens, the traffic widgets, the texting format, the screen is awesome, and this thing is smoking fast. Glad I made the move can't wait for the Note to hit.
theres apps to fix most of your issues and roms or themes that may also help especially battery life. im a heavy user and i can easily get full day atleast. you can just root and improve it by 6hrs by removing all sprins bloat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
I am in the same boat, I came from an Evo4G and my only complaint is battery life. To me the phone is too thin and I've got to buy an extended battery with a door, that'll solve the way it feels and more importantly the battery life.

Dialer issue: Wait for some roms to come out and you can change the dialer. I have 5 Mikes and I put links to important people on the screen. I didn't check but there may be a speed dial thingy. I remember when I used to have a flip phone, I had over 250 speed dials and people would be remembered by #56 or #72. I think this phone has speed dials so that may solve half the problem. Also voice dial may help. "Call Mikey P"

I've never used the installed calendar app so I can't help there. There are a bunch of calendar apps, planner apps, etc on the market and it's a personal prefrence. Download and see what you like. Same with email. I use the Gmail app and it works for me, I tried a few and nothing worked as well as the gmail app.

The first few days I really missed my Evo4G. Glad I made the move. Part of the reason I was sad to see it go was the way I had it set up. Once some Roms come out (ahem, OMJ hint hint) it'll be perfect.

I didn't install ADW Launcher yet. That thing is awesome. I might just do that to customize everything the way I want it.
theres lots of roms already out just will never be one posted here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Since there is root access already, can't you undervolt your cpu for extra battery life?
no we cant uv yet but oc is how im rolling and still getting over a day battery life with all bloat removed.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post

theres lots of roms already out just will never be one posted here.
You are scaring me. Why will they never be posted on here?

The only thing I can think of is all the Samsung chef's are on XDA.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

bndfishing is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

The more I am getting use to it the more I think that HTC's Sense is better for business use. If I didn't have to use the phone so much while driving it would be OK, but so far it's just OK.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Wiredengineer
Pocket PC: EVO 3D/Acer Iconia Tab!

PropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuff

I am considering replacing my EVO with this. Don't really want the 3D, not impressive. Only thing this would be my first non-HTC smart phone since the PPC6700, so im a little nervous...:0
Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
You are scaring me. Why will they never be posted on here?

The only thing I can think of is all the Samsung chef's are on XDA.
you guessed it, same deal as epic4g we had to beg cooks to post here then we had no support.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:37 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
no we cant uv yet but oc is how im rolling and still getting over a day battery life with all bloat removed.
no UV yet? that sucks...uv was awesome on the epic..I guess I better crawl into my corner now lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropagandaX View Post
I am considering replacing my EVO with this. Don't really want the 3D, not impressive. Only thing this would be my first non-HTC smart phone since the PPC6700, so im a little nervous...:0
umm..ppc6700 is made by HTC..its called the HTC Apache, but in US it got rebranded by UT-Starcom
Old 09-28-2011, 01:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Dammit!

OMJ are you buying this phone or what? I'll kick in if you do.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy S II Series > Samsung Epic Touch