PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development > ROM/Kitchen Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 11:58 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07
Question CUSTOM OS~ Not Windows Mobile

Do you think, as a group, we could create our own custom Operating System? Something other than WM? Just a theory... But with the amount of intelligent coders, software engineers, and PPC Geeks on this site, it should be possible.. And if we got XDA involved, the sky could be the limit..
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:59 PM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50
Re: CUSTOM OS~ Not Windows Mobile

i was thinkin the same thing a few days ago

Old 11-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Big MVP Diesel
Threadstarter

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level

I really think it could be possible... I personally have NO coding skills, and am only starting to develop an understanding of how a PPC works.. But if people can create code for their own custom ROM's, or create ways to create new icon's, anything should be possible.. I may not be able to code, but I would be willing to donate time and effort into what I can do, and I know monetary contributions are always willingly accepted...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TouchPro,Mogul,Diamond
Carrier: Alltel

junior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to junior1234

Now this would be interesting, would gladly donate toward that idea.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Threadstarter

So... Anybody know where to start?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Geek'n it Up
Pocket PC: xv6700 >> xv6800 >> BB Storm
Carrier: Red Devil Verizon

Lylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Lylej2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 View Post
So... Anybody know where to start?
Haven't a clue my friend, but I too would be willing to test and donate
Don't forget to hit the

Old 12-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Threadstarter

To test and donate, I agree... Who here on this site knows of such coding?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:05 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

rashire is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to rashire

I'm new here to the forums and ppc's but i'll put in my opinion. Making a full OS is a huge undertaking, especially one that would hold up to your large standards. Not to mention this would require every program you guys typically install to be coded especially for this new os, and to top it all off i'm not sure you could get all your sprint services working since they where made for windows.

To make your own os for a phone in itself isnt the biggest callenge its making one able to outpreform windows in speed and functionality. People get microsoft alot of flack, but they got alot of smart people and money behind these products. Personally i'd be interested in how heavyly someone can mod window and prehaps work on our own interface like touch flo to hide windows. for instance in windows on a desktop you can stop windows from loading explorer (not the web browser, the one that handles windows and the start menu) and run your own application instead. in this way you have all the api, and library of windows already set up, but the only interface us the one you coded. Also, again i dont know much about ce, but it may save alot of memory turning off the window manager.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Big MVP Diesel
Threadstarter

Good opinion Rashire... What you said made me think about it some more... An intuitive interface would be a much better way to go than a complete over haul of the OS code..
Old 12-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Lurker

Briarios is a n00b

Huh, this sounds really cool. I'd help with whatever I can, though I don't know if it'd be anything besides donations/testing
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development > ROM/Kitchen Development