PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development > ROM/Kitchen Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC SuperSonic
Carrier: Sprint

Glossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unified ROM Project, Phase II: The Kitchen Application

Now that we've seen the light at the end of the tunnel, it's probably time to start discussing the kitchen application that will bring this ROM to the world.

Understanding that a lot of folks on the team are fatigued due to the effort in developing the UR, we still need to begin looking for the folks that will develop the kitchen application.

Knowing that application development requires a completely different skillset than ROM development, I imagine will have a much different set of players.

To that end, I am going to start another "help wanted thread" that will be used to recruit the team for the next phase.

Obviously, if you participated in the first phase, your input and experience are valuable to phase 2. Of course, participation is voluntary, and there will be no hard feelings torwards anyone who chooses not to participate in phase 2.

Now that the disclaimers are out of the way, in several of our discussions at the beginning of the project, we debated the type of tool that would be used to create the custom ROMs from the kitchen. We have gone back and forth between a web-based tool and a stand-alone application. A decision was never made.

I'd like to re-open that debate, as the answer will dictate the kind of skillsets we will need proceed with phase 2.

All opinions are welcome. I will also repost this in the Apache forum for the general public.

Audiovox Thera-Samsung i700-Verizon PPC 6600-Sprint 6700-Sprint Mogul-Sprint Touch-HTC Touch Diamond-HTC Hero-HTC SuperSonic (EVO)
Old 04-04-2007, 03:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6800

MrHappy is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to MrHappy Send a message via Yahoo to MrHappy
Are you looking for something like a VB app that will configure all the possible options?

Just wondering because I do know a vb programer who has a 6700....
Old 04-04-2007, 03:12 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache

jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus
I think a web-based option would be easiest for users, as it takes *some* power away from them and makes it a little more idiot proof. If it is a stand alon app, then I would think the users would be able to cause some problems, and then there would be an explosion of "HELP ME" threads out there.

That being said, I am not a programmer, so the level of effort needed for each option I cannot estimate...

A mass of tears have transformed to stones now sharpened on suffering and woven into slings...
Old 04-04-2007, 03:58 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
well, there's two big ways to go to be decided (methinks) first...

whatever it is, is it going to result in
a) a rom, ready to burn or
b) a kitchen, ready to build

For a, you're gonna need some backend support.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6800

MrHappy is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to MrHappy Send a message via Yahoo to MrHappy
Well, not having ever used a kitchen before this project I found it quite easy to follow the instructions to build a working rom back in the beginning...
Old 04-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Glossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj

I think the original idea behind our project was to produce a ROM, ready to burn. And I'd be inclined to stick with that. That way there's no worries about packaging OEMs and such. We can just dump them into database let the user select them. This probably means that a web app would be the best way to go.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHappy
Are you looking for something like a VB app that will configure all the possible options?

Just wondering because I do know a vb programer who has a 6700....
A VB app could be a possibility, if we the route of a standalone application.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Is there someone who wants to host a web-based solution?

What does the solution need to do (technical requirements)?
Old 04-04-2007, 04:59 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache

jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossman
Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj

I think the original idea behind our project was to produce a ROM, ready to burn. And I'd be inclined to stick with that. That way there's no worries about packaging OEMs and such. We can just dump them into database let the user select them. This probably means that a web app would be the best way to go.
I think that would be the easiest bet for the users. Not sure about the programmers, but I would like to have this option!

One question is though...there are cetain apps that people have created OEMs for (think of a certain threaded text messaging app ) that users might want to build in. Now, I know that the kitchen will be released for all to use and you can build off-line, but some mention that the kitchen will only have free apps or trail apps...maybe I'm getting ahead of the process here...
Old 04-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa
Is there someone who wants to host a web-based solution?

What does the solution need to do (technical requirements)?
If we go the web route, then yes.

Perhaps we should have a roundtable IRC chat to discuss the requirements so we can determine the best way to proceed.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development > ROM/Kitchen Development