PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   ROM/Kitchen Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   ExtRom Discusion (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=2894)

Maxx134 02-27-2007 02:45 PM

ExtRom Discusion

Hello team.
I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or comments on the ExtRom that we are using on the 3.X Roms.

I have found about half of them have errors listed in the windows folder.

I have been editing them to eliminate errors, but think just replacing the Dlls is a better idea.

I have edited the cabs to no longer have errors but half of them didn't load.

I will post them here tonight for any comments by the team leaders.

It would be a good idea to me if we could also agree on a standard ExtRom set for the 3.X roms, but I have Sprint so I havent looked into the other carriers.

thallanor 02-27-2007 05:46 PM

I have always been curious about the ExtRom. I understand that it includes carrier-specific software, but mine has never been overwritten by the ROMs that I have cooked. (I prefer this, as some of the software in my ExtRom configures my carrier-specific settings.) Is it just that I am lucky, and that most cooked ROMs include a replacement ExtRom, or do they simply add to the carrier's ExtRom? The latest ROM I installed included things like Total Commander, yet my carrier's software still installed on the first boot, so it does not appear that it replaced it. Once I know how it works, I can contribute more to this specific thread. :)

colonel 02-27-2007 05:55 PM

If you guys want to work on an ExtRom, I believe the focus should be on a "global" release. I messed with this a while back when I had a rom with a twist. The twist was that the ExtRom would prompt you to choose your carrier and then install the proper cabs. This is the easiest and more editable way to have a packaged product for all carriers. Unfortunately, to get it to work, I had to change some things in the rom and it would not allow for users with thier own custom ExtRom to install their ms_.nbf without some reg edits and another hard reset. I am still working on this, but haven't messed with it in a while.

The big thing that needs to be done is to consolidate the different carrier ExtRoms down as much as possible. When I had all of the carriers in one ExtRom, it was almost full (9.5MB or something close to that). If we can condense down to 2-4 cabs per carrier, we would get rid of a lot of redundant waste.

thallanor 02-27-2007 06:06 PM

What if the web-based front end simply allowed you to select your carrier of choice and thus update the ROM to include the appropriate ExtRom as well as the carrier logo? That would be so sweet. :)

computercarl 02-27-2007 07:11 PM

well, I can say that all you need on the VZW side is, well, not really anything. The only semi important ones are... the one that sets up the #'s and the data connection, and the one that sets up MMS, The MMS one is kind of nice, as there are lots of customizations that need to be made to the OEM if you want to use it. Oh, and wireless sync, if you're into that sorta thing.

Go http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...reakdown.html? for more.

thallanor 02-27-2007 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computercarl
well, I can say that all you need on the VZW side is, well, not really anything. The only semi important ones are... the one that sets up the #'s and the data connection, and the one that sets up MMS, The MMS one is kind of nice, as there are lots of customizations that need to be made to the OEM if you want to use it. Oh, and wireless sync, if you're into that sorta thing.

Go http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...reakdown.html? for more.

That is all that is required for TELUS Mobillity too. There are only about four packages in the ExtRom and one of them is the one that configures the numbers.

Maxx134 02-27-2007 09:35 PM

7 Attachment(s)
EDITED AGAIN 4 NEW PRL CAB:

EDIT:
I updated the Cabs for the 3.x roms I was testing.
These are a little more streamlined.

Out of 23 Cabs, In windows folder I have now have 3 NG.txt Files:

cab1_NG.txt = some "umatched registry" so it added it in the, "PPST_File_SPCS_with_PRL20227.sa.CAB"

cab6_NG.txt = some "umatched registry" so it put it in

cab23_NG.txt= the "CONTACTS" CAB... doesnt say anything actually wrong since no files but 1 Dll file.

I have updated since alot of the roms as well as the RC2&3 roms dont have cabs pre-loaded.

Keep in mind, not all cabs listed here are essentail, I just like 2 have all bases covered by having them.

Check Colonel thread on Extrom list HERE:
http://www.ppcgeeks.com/viewtopic,p,40825.html#40825

So after all this I am going to leave "as is" for anyone else to put any comments suggestions to this. :wink:

colonel 02-27-2007 09:52 PM

Another fun little goodie for anyone that is running a rom where you have to copy a file from the storage card to \Windows to get it to work. For example, in my 3.5, I have VC mostly installed, but you have to install voicecmd.exe from the SD. Anyway, just add lines like this to you config.txt.

Code:

CPY1: \Storage Card\voicecmd.exe
CPY2: \Windows\voicecmd.exe

This will do the copying for you.

finster869 02-27-2007 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel
Another fun little goodie for anyone that is running a rom where you have to copy a file from the storage card to \Windows to get it to work. For example, in my 3.5, I have VC mostly installed, but you have to install voicecmd.exe from the SD. Anyway, just add lines like this to you config.txt.

Code:

Great find, Colonel! Do you think you could leave the VC file in EXT rom and do the copy from ext_rom instead of storage card?

naigaboy 02-28-2007 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finster869
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel

Code:

Great find, Colonel! Do you think you could leave the VC file in EXT rom and do the copy from ext_rom instead of storage card?

Yes you can, thats is how i have mine set up.