PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development > ROM/Kitchen Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2007, 10:27 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache
Carrier: Sprint

jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus
Quote:
Originally Posted by imkk
You can always claim that a virus must have sent the boot screen and renegade ROM to the phone.
I hate THOSE viruses!!!

A mass of tears have transformed to stones now sharpened on suffering and woven into slings...
Old 02-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
Yea easter egg seems like a good idea...dll or reg entries maybe?

Old 02-27-2007, 01:04 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

seashell11 is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to seashell11
Re: PPCGeeks.com listed in boot splash screen may be bad ide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossman
Quote:
Originally Posted by saridnour
Just wanted to put this out there to all of you making this uniifed rom and other roms for public distribution. It may be bad to list this site and possibly other individuals as the source in the event that MS or anyone else (carriers) got a wild hair up their a$$ and wanted to go after somebody for copyright or bricking devices. I have nothing against creating custom Roms or splashes, but setting something like this in a package that could get re-used by many people doing who knows what and having this set as a default, could really be a bad thing. More so as to PPCGeeks being an easy target to take the brunt of it as alias's are just alias's.

just food for thought,
saridnour
Why not use your splash screen? I shot Pepsi out my nose when I read "Intel Inside, Idiot Outside" for the first time!
I too agree here. It is the only splash screen I have not changed, as it was very appropriate for the user at hand!!!

Same here! This splash screen is good!
Old 02-27-2007, 02:39 AM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
while I don't think any harm will come from a boot pic, easter eggs and the like have much the same problem.

The main issue is hosting the files. An alternate host should be easy to identify (I can probably do it if no other is available). Then PPCGeeks should be in the clear.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:23 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Alwaysbelieve1 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to Alwaysbelieve1 Send a message via Yahoo to Alwaysbelieve1
Quote:
You can always claim that a virus must have sent the boot screen and renegade ROM to the phone.
LMAO!!! Yup Mr. Sprint Tech... I have no idea what you are talking about. This is the same phone I took out of the box when I bought it from you.

***same phone yes indeed, but the insides I tweaked to my liking!!!!

******and I'll do it again!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P
Old 02-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2

imkk is keeping up the good workimkk is keeping up the good workimkk is keeping up the good work
Should we really be worried about the little ol splash screen when we have a fully staffed crew with a published design, development, QA, and deployment process?
Old 02-27-2007, 11:35 AM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP
Quote:
Should we really be worried about the little ol splash screen when we have a fully staffed crew with a published design, development, QA, and deployment process?
sorta what I was thinking. don't get me wrong, saridnour makes a good point in the first post but i bet M$ is already keeping tabs on us. xda was just a lot more in depth with their mods and it spanned a lot more devices than we have here.
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-Mobile NL --> KPN soon

SpeedDemon is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to SpeedDemon
Dan how long will it take for more people to find us and get more ROMS here for multiple PPC's..... We might face the same problems in a short while.....
Old 02-27-2007, 01:13 PM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP
Well that might happen a long ways down the road. It seems like everyone here is focused on the Apache, but I could be wrong. I took a quick look through the other device forums and didn't see a single topic on a custom rom. I'm pretty sure you can't just mod an Apache rom to be used on a Universal, or Hermes, or a Treo 700/750. Until a lot of dedicated, smart, and enthusiastic people start gathering here for those phones we won't have that problem.

Something was mentioned about the easter egg thing earlier and at first I thought that was a good idea but then after I thought about it I came to this: if someone has the ability, the know how, and the need for the lastest custom rom I'm sure they'll want the custom boot screen ( I assume we're all still talking about the one with the names on it, if not this all irrelevant) so they won't hesitate to edit the Reg or do whatever else is necessary to get the boot screen. Which, in the end is the same as just putting it there by default. imo
Old 02-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 3G / TP2
Carrier: Sprint / Google Voice
Threadstarter

saridnour is a n00b
I was more just looking out for all those responsible for PPCgeeks as they will be the bulls eye if someone wanted to come after someone. This is even more of an issue if someone is creating their own rom's using the unified kitchen or other rom building tool set that was designed to be used by others to create their own custom Roms. If say Sprint received a number of Bricked 6700's and wanted to come after someone, it wont be the guys who cooked the rom, its going to be the organization behind the rom or rom kitchen.. just like XDA.
I for one enjoy ppcgeeks and would like to see it stay with us and I also don't want the operators in trouble for it either.

Why make it easier for them to know who to go after.

-saridnour
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development > ROM/Kitchen Development