PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development > ROM/Kitchen Development

Notices

View Poll Results: Should the upcoming Unified ROM Project be based on AKU 3.3 or 3.5?
AKU 3.3 12 17.14%
AKU 3.5 58 82.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2007, 03:34 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache
Carrier: Sprint

jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel
I actually would lean more in the direction of 3.3. The 3.3 rom has been almost entirely fixed and could be put into a kitchen quicker.

Yuma, you are correct, we have gotten the most out of it. That is why I believe it is a better candidate. We (you, I, and others) have built roms that seem to be running just fine. However, the purpose of building a kitchen is to allow average users the ability to create their own rom with apps of their choice.
Starting with 3.3 might not be a bad choice. Since it *is* considered the more stable ROM with les fixes necessary, then it would be a good starting ground for everyone to learn about a web-based project. Then, once people are comfortable with the process and any bugs have been ironed out, then progress can be made more efficiently on 3.5.

Just my opinion...
Old 02-21-2007, 03:38 PM
The GrooGrux King
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

MadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to MadlyAlive

Running a lot smoother and faster over 3.3
Old 02-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC 6700 (Apache) ;PPC 6800 (Mogul)

naigaboy is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to naigaboy Send a message via MSN to naigaboy
Quote:
I actually would lean more in the direction of 3.3. The 3.3 rom has been almost entirely fixed and could be put into a kitchen quicker.

Yuma, you are correct, we have gotten the most out of it. That is why I believe it is a better candidate. We (you, I, and others) have built roms that seem to be running just fine. However, the purpose of building a kitchen is to allow average users the ability to create their own rom with apps of their choice.
Nice to see you back. You getting hot real quickly too.

Hey Brian, Its been 24 hrs, Got my money?
Stop playing with me man.
This what happens man.
You got till 5 o'clock

Kitchen Info:
Old 02-21-2007, 06:11 PM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP
I think it should be 3.5 because if we're going to be doing all this customizing and testing it should be done on the latest.
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Perasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIP
Quote:

Very good point. Since we must start somewhere, and this is an entirely new endeavor (the web based picking of ROM components) then why start with the hardest option first? I must be honest, I haven't even switched to 3.5 myself. I was so happy with my personal ROM after I finished building all my stuff in, that I haven't tried it. If 3.3 is the starting point we choose, I'd be more than happy to help out. If we go 3.5, it will be harder for me to let go of all this work!

Projects: (PeraStats 1.7) (PeraCount with Clock 1.3) (PeraCount 1.3) (PeraProfiler 1.2) (S2U2Lock 1.1)
Old 02-21-2007, 06:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Sogarth is a n00b
Quote:
Another vote here. We've had a much better idea of what issues popped up with AKU 3.3 back when the community was smaller (which meant that we also had better communication with the users, so that we could more effectively determine which problems were caused by the OS, other software, or user error). It's getting harder and harder to figure out which problems with AKU 3.5 are "real," so likewise, I would say it's more difficult to say when AKU 3.5 will be "ready."

But, as Alwaysbelieve1 pointed out, this isn't a "hard" choice one way or the other - we can get one ready first, and then get the other ready later.

In addition, what's also nice is that most of the fine detail work that's gone into one of the two has generally been applicable in the other as well (as versus the more glaring issues we saw in AKU 3.5).
Old 02-21-2007, 07:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Vogue

isamu49 is a n00b
I'm not voting myself, but I would tend to think that if you guys elected your 3-4 "rom developers" and they unanimously were able to agree they felt more comfortable working from one base or the other, that should probably take precedence over any poll results.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC SuperSonic
Threadstarter

Glossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuff
Great points, Sogarth and isamu49.

I will present this alternative with the poll results before the end of the week. We'll see what kind of feedback we can get.

Audiovox Thera-Samsung i700-Verizon PPC 6600-Sprint 6700-Sprint Mogul-Sprint Touch-HTC Touch Diamond-HTC Hero-HTC SuperSonic (EVO)
Old 02-21-2007, 08:02 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm OK with the above as well, although personally I think that 3.5 (other then some pretty visible but otherwise liveable issues*) really is the more stable version of the two.

That, and my gut feel is the "fixes" aren't terribly portable, so other then learning how to fix problems, we'll not take away many actual fixes for 3.5 - possibly with the exception of BT PAN (the holy grail of 3.x)

* the worst of which, vs 3.3, is the contacts problem in Windows Live Search and the similar problem in that other app whos name escapes me at the moment. We may have already in hand the smart dialer fix and the ## fix, in the verizonboy kitchen, just waiting to be mined out and put in the baseline.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Lurker

cgrinds is a n00b
I vote 3.5, as I seem to have no trouble with it yet. (3.3 also worked fine but i picked my version and im sticking with it)
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development > ROM/Kitchen Development